Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 am

Sunday, 0% rain today! Living in the soggy NW means months of gray skies, rain and chilly temps; snow in the mountains where it is needed. By this time of the year I am craving sun and heat. I always say I am going to take a trip to sun but never do; looking at a big dental bill now. Always something. I am very fortunate and grateful for what I have.

My body is hanging out at 183.2. 3 pounds to my 1st goal. So I must be diligent and relentless in eating MWL. Today I will start with my yummy oatmeal; love it so much. I have leftovers of veggie chili and the 'fast food' skillet meal, plus rice and potatoes, so I am good. Will buy sweet potatoes today; they make great snacks. And more citrus.

I also will make this soup today or tomorrow: chopped a small onion and sauteed it in vege broth. Add a 20 oz pkg of cut up butternut squash, the remainder of the quart of vege broth, some salt, pepper, thyme, garam massala and a dash of granulated garlic. Simmer for about 15 min and them mashed up precut butternut squash a little with a potato masher. Add an 8 oz pkg of fresh green peas and a couple of handfuls of organic red lentil spaghetti broken into smaller pieces. Simmer for another 15 minutes until the pasta was cooked. I also added about a cup of water when I added the pasta.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 am

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2020

Still hanging out at 183.2 lbs. Done this before; body apparently has to get adjusted before deciding it's OK to drop more weight!

Yesterday I steamed green beans; love them; and broccoli. Just had great oatmeal but still hungry. I am always hungriest in the morning, so will eat some rice and the last of the 'fast food' stir fry. I need to eat more greens so bought some romaine lettuce to go under this meal.

I painted a great picture yesterday! good instruction is vital. Going to try another one today.

Have a great day, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 am

Wednesday Feb 12, 2020

182.4 this morning. Yes! Yesterday I enjoyed a brisk 1 mile walk in the 37 degree foggy morning. Rain storm rolling in later today, so I will walk this morning. Then after playing cards yesterday, I loved 25 minutes in the swimming pool. I wasn't too hungry for dinner meal, so I enjoyed steamed green beans and broccoli with a light tomato, cucumber and romaine lettuce salad, and raw carrots for crunch. I have some sweet potatoes to fix today and will eat them with my good veggie chili.

I weigh daily, at the same time every morning and in the same clothes. I do it for accountability and to harden my resolve. Goals drive my motivation, so I like to see what the scales show. Any gain is information for me to make changes in what I do because I want to hit 180.

DDS today and I'm hoping it's not another root canal/crown because they are so expensive.

Onward!
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 pm

mmm, I love oatmeal too. It actually makes a really good dessert if dinner is a bit on the light side. It doesn't work for me for breakfast, unless I add broccoli to it :D because I get hungry an hour after eating oatmeal. No lie.

My gosh, you are doing amazing with your MWL food choices! and I'm impressed with your exercise/activity level. wow! keep it up!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:13 am

Friday, 2/14/20

I have been doing MWL since July; lost 14 #s and am 3 pounds from my 1st goal. But my body isn't dropping and it's frustrating. I know my weight loss is slow (age plus body can't take heavy exercise as it used to). This past week I did drop to 182.2, but bounced right back. And I haven't really cheated on the guidelines (ok, 2 chocolates on Wednesday, total of 120 calories).
I am preparing healthy foods too; in fact, the constant prep and cooking is getting tiresome.

Looked at the guidelines again; I comply 97% with all of them but these (the other 3%? some fat occasionally because I am hungry all the time, even if I eat a lot, and cannot feel 'full' without some fat).
1. start every meal with soup, salad or fruit. Even breakfast oatmeal? I do have fruit for breakfast but do not fix salads (too expensive and I waste all the ingredients; I can buy a small salad at a salad bar at the grocery store, so that would cost me about $6 a day to have 2 salads a day. This past week I have enjoyed a cucumber/tomato/lettuce salad but not with every meal; carrots or celery for snacks.
2. 50/50 plate; I could improve here and this past week made an effort to have more veggies prepped.
10. Exercise every day; or close to it. I do try to walk 1-2 miles almost every day (dodging NW soggy rains). I did enjoy time in the pool this past week. Yes, I could make a gym date 'every day', but I know myself, I won't make 'every day'; then will feel like a failure.

SO, I plan to stick to MWL for the rest of February and then switch over to Maintenance. And, time to buy and prep more potatoes.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Monday Feb 17, 2020

It's SUNNY today, had a great long walk after morning oatmeal, some romaine lettuce (my version of 'salad'), still hungry an hour later so I ate something else but can't remember now. I did batch cooking today - made a veggie chili with lots of clean out the fridge veggies; steamed broccoli and baked yams; made basmati rice. I will be eating a lot of salad greens since I over bought them. Somehow I need to eat a piece of fruit today.

And I finished my tax prep, so glad, now to get them filed.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 am

Friday
02/21/20 weight is 181.2 -2.8 loss

Well, I was 'surprised' when I weighed this morning. This is my biggest loss in any week since I started in July 2019. After being frustrated the last 3 weeks, I took a hard look at the MWL checkpoints. #1, start every meal with soup/salad jumped out at me. I have not been doing that. So I decided to try that. Breakfast included salad greens AND oatmeal. Dinner was veggie chili over rice AND salad greens. I made a delicious 'fast food' skillet meal (ala Jeff N) served with rice and salad greens. I don't know if that's the key to this week's big loss but I have been probably 98% compliant on everything else.

I am 1.2 #s away from my first goal. In July at 197# it seemed a faraway goal. Who says weight gain is inevitable as one ages?

I still love my morning oatmeal with hemp hearts and ground flax seed, but it never leaves me satisfied. So I also have some salad greens with it and about an hour later, I will eat something else. Morning is my hungriest time, probably because my dinner/evening meal is the lightest. Last night all I enjoyed was mashed potatoes with carrots and corn. I have learned to eat more in the mornings.

Tonight I babysit and take him to the school science fair. Pizza will be there, but I won't have any of it. I plan to eat my MWL meal and see if I can get the picky 9 yr old to also have some before we go.

Keep on keeping on. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 am

Friday Feb 28, 2020

I started following the MWL 10 checkpoints in July to lose more weight Today I have lost 15#s, slowly sure but that's OK with me. It helps me lock in the behavior changes necessary to make this a way of life. In March I will switch to the MWL Maintenance thread while I keep working to lose more; 1st goal is 180, 2 pounds away, and then I need another 3-5#s off.

Last week I made a real effort to add soup or salad before every meal. So yes, salad greens AND oatmeal, and this does make me feel full and satisfied. Yesterday I made a delicious red lentil soup with onions, celery and carrots. So filling and tasty, and it was my meal; didn't need anything else.

Today I'll make another batch of veggie chili. I love it alone or over a sweet potato.

But first, a walk outside before more rains move in later today for the weekend.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 am

Monday March 2, 2020

Today I will switch from the MWL monthly weigh-ins to Maintenance, if I can find the thread! Since July 2019 I have lost 15#s, working on #16 now. I plan to lose more, maybe 5 more, and have made the necessary food behavior adjustments. Following the 10 point MWL checklist is the key to success, and especially #1 for me.

This morning I am going to a water aerobics class at a nearby center, much closer thus I'll go more often, so hope it works out. I really need upper body work and water workout gives me that.

Yesterday I made another quick skillet meal and served it over egg noodles. It was dry; needed some moisture. A cauliflower will get roasted; apple for snack, and more of the delicious red lentil soup with potatoes.

Stay healthy and wash your hands like it's your side hustle!!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:16 am

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Once deciding I could drop in to 'maintenance' mode, I promptly gained 2#s! what the heck??? allergies and sinus = little exercise, anxieties over politics and viruses, couple other issues, sent me straight to MWL #7 (too much snacking on foods way off the plan). That stops today. I was close to my first goal and I will get right back there. Surprising how easy it is to fall back into unconscious eating habits. Mindfulness and setting my intentions every day works for me.

Today will be strict MWL eating starting with salad greens and oatmeal (flax seed & hemp hearts) for breakfast. I will roast cauliflower, cook a lot of mashed potatoes, and finish the McDougall white beans recipe. Fruit is pineapple spears. Steamed broccoli too. Walking for exercise today. Bad sinus headache today, so annoying.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:07 am

Saturday March 7, 2020

Interesting how the Thursday morning after my Wednesday post (I had a bad sinus headache, plus not feeling great), I woke up with flu! not the corona virus but we think of that now, right? I was so very dizzy that I actually passed out on a trip to the bathroom. Body aches, chills, headache, classic flu. A day in bed with lots of sleep and water helped, so by Friday, yesterday, I felt better. My MD made me come in for a checkup; theory is that my heavy sinus/allergy congestion contributes to inner ear issues which contributes to the dizziness, yet they haven't offered any treatment that helps. I just take maintenance things to minimize the effects. Today, Saturday, I am feeling better. I am convinced the way we eat greatly diminishes the effect of illness on us.

I am finally hungry in 2 days, so oatmeal sounds good to me. So does veggie soup which I'll make later. I can't 'stomach' my beans or veggie chili just yet. And I can eat the mashed potatoes with peas and corn.

I volunteer in an elementary school (aka germ factories) and despite the flu vaccine, this is my 2nd bout with flu. I am going to stop the work, much as I like working with the kids. It's just not worth the exposure.

Hope you are all happy and healthy! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 am

Monday March 9, 2020

It's going to be a sunny day, which is so welcomed here in the gray NW. Great for walking which I will do later. I swam a bit yesterday because my body demanded it! tight from so much sitting and lying around recovering from the flu. I am recovered although still very congested (my 'normal' from allergies) and that congestion does make me slightly light-headed.

Hit 180 and determined to stay here! I have plenty of food already prepped but do need to roast some veggies. Breakfast was the last of the leftover veggie chili with rice. So good. Later today I'll have oatmeal with hemp hearts and flax seed with one piece of toast. I do put a bit of butter on it; the fat helps me feel full, longer. Fruit is pineapple and an apple.

Later today I will start a new painting. I haven't felt well enough to be interested.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:12 am

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Well, I had little time to get used to achieving goal #1, 180 lbs., because this morning's scales showed 179. What the heck?! Wow. Having that flu changed how I eat. I am hungriest in the morning so I decided to eat until I was 'full' and if that's oatmeal and veggie chili with rice, OK! Snack was an apple. Last night I only wanted mashed red potatoes with peas and corn.

Beautifully sunny day yesterday and I had energy for a long walk. Felt great. Repeat today. Plus I have several veggies that need to be roasted. Fruit will be citrus and seasonal pears.

I stopped volunteering at the elementary school aka 'petri dish', 2 rounds of flu this year is enough, so am excited to use that day for water aerobics.

Keep calm, wash your hands a lot and carry on,

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 am

Good morning, Friday March 13, 2020 in the year of the VIRUS.

Last week I hit the 180 #, which was my first goal. I barely had time to register that when the next day, and every day since, scales read 179.6. Close to the same thing, I know, but the # is so fun! I would like to lose a few more pounds so will just keep on steady with eating MWL.

I admit to getting bored with my usual fare; so will pull out the cookbooks and look for something different. Still not bored with potatoes though! Think Egyptian red lentil soup sounds good.

Yesterday I swam; chlorinated water will kill germs! We have 2 cold days, snow??, ahead so will aim for a walk outside.

For the most part, I am practicing self-isolation, more distancing really. Want to give health professionals a chance to 'flatten the curve' as they say in the progression of this virus.

That said, I am out of coffee! so going to make an early morning run to the big store to stock up.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 am

Sunday March 15, 2020 this is going to be a long year of virus and other *stuff*

Friday am I thought an early run to the store for coffee and other dried goods would outfox the hordes of shoppers. Yet it was 'busy' at 7am. I refused to pay $12 for a can of Folgers coffee; store brand is fine. And all the bulk food bins I use were empty! Kind of glad that people are eating oatmeal and all the lentils, beans too. Pasta aisle empty. The fresh produce aisles were stocked though. But I really wanted red lentils to make Egyptian red lentil soup.

So today I'll make split pea soup with onions, carrots, potatoes and celery. I also make the no-tuna salad. It's so good! Reply if you want the recipe. And I'm in the mood for vegetarian lasagna. Hmmmm...today is a good day for a long walk in the chilly sunshine.

Got hand sanitizer?

take care, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals