sirdle - 2019

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: sirdle - 2019

Postby Michele613 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi Sirdle,

Have fallen behind on keeping up with your journal but did enjoy Sept 25th's nostalgic journey back in time. When I saw 'E-tickets' I ran to my back room and pulled out an old Knotts menu and I know I have the E's around somewhere. Those were the days. My sister and I got to go to Disneyland soon after it opened because we were in CA since mid '56. My sons got their share too of those 2 theme parks. As parents now they get stuck with the enormous cost of taking 6 children to Disney....not me. Thanks for the smiles.

I'll have to play catch up on your latest entries later....keep up the good work and I'm glad (to my knowledge) that you're feeling better.

BTW I so relate to the cooking dilemma. I can cook if I 'have to' but I am not at all drawn to it and this is one of or in fact the hardest part of sticking to this program. Maybe I'll have to check out KF too for some ideas.
Michele613

Re: Reflections on Happiness

Postby moonlight » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm

sirdle wrote:I came across the following post again recently and thought I'd share. :-P

Thanks for sharing this.

sirdle wrote:Reflections on Happiness by Nathaniel Branden

The following thoughts, originally posted to an electronic mailing list, are now part of the introduction to Dr. Branden’s recent book, Taking Responsibility: Self-Reliance and the Accountable Life.

The Basic Disposition Toward Happiness
There is a tendency for most people to explain feelings of happiness or unhappiness in terms of the external events of their lives. They explain happiness by pointing to the positives; they explain unhappiness by pointing to the negatives. The implication is that events determine whether or not they are happy. I have always suspected that our own attitudes have far more to do with how happy we are than any external circumstances. Today, research supports this view.

Take a person who is basically disposed to be happy, meaning that he is happy a significantly greater amount of the time than he is unhappy, and let some misfortune befall him — the loss of a job, or a marriage, or being hit by some physical disability — and for some period of time he will suffer. But check with him a few weeks or months or a year later (depending on the severity of the problem) and he will be happy again.

In contrast, take a person who is basically disposed to be unhappy, who is unhappy a significantly greater amount of the time than he is happy, and let something wonderful happen to him — getting a promotion, inheriting a lot of money, falling in love — and for a while he will be happy. But check with him a little later down the line and very likely he will be unhappy again.

Research also tells us that the best predictors of a person’s disposition to be happy are (1) self-esteem and (2) the belief that we ourselves, rather than external forces, are the most significant shapers of our destiny.

I have read about this research before. Recently, I've been reading about joy. How we have joy in our lives. Do you have a reference for this research?

When I would ask her about her resilience, she would say, “I’m committed to being happy.” And she added, “That takes self-discipline.” She almost never went to sleep at night without taking time to review everything good in her life; those were typically her last thoughts of the day. I thought that this was important.

I so agree with this! I feel that it is a combination of some setpoint which appears to be suggested from the research but I think it is also a choice. I recently heard a quote that resonated with me, "Joy is a choice."

… Then I thought of something I had noticed about myself. And that was, as I sometimes joked, that with every decade my childhood kept getting happier. If you asked me at twenty or at sixty to describe my early years, the report would not have been different about the key facts, but the emphasis would have been different. At twenty, the negatives in my childhood were foreground in my mind the the positives were background; at sixty, the reverse was true. As I grew older, my perspective and sense of what was important about those early years changed.

I wonder if this change of attitude has to do with life experiences. As we age, many of us realize what is most important in life.

Thank you for sharing!
moonlight

Re: Reflections on Happiness

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks Michele!

Moonlight wrote:
sirdle wrote:Research also tells us that the best predictors of a person’s disposition to be happy are (1) self-esteem and (2) the belief that we ourselves, rather than external forces, are the most significant shapers of our destiny.

I have read about this research before. Recently, I've been reading about joy. How we have joy in our lives. Do you have a reference for this research?

Nope. Sorry. :o

Moonlight wrote:
sirdle wrote:When I would ask her about her resilience, she would say, “I’m committed to being happy.” And she added, “That takes self-discipline.” She almost never went to sleep at night without taking time to review everything good in her life; those were typically her last thoughts of the day. I thought that this was important.

I so agree with this! I feel that it is a combination of some setpoint which appears to be suggested from the research but I think it is also a choice. I recently heard a quote that resonated with me, "Joy is a choice."

Keep in mind, this is not the same thing as just looking in the mirror and saying: "Today is going to be a great day!" because often it isn't. According to Dr Lisle, there is no such thing as a self-fulfilling positive prophesy. This is a little different: it is seeing your life as it is, noting those things you can do to make it better (and doing them!), but also recognizing that we all have much to be grateful for, and when possible keeping those positive things about our lives in the forefront of consciousness. Too often, I focus on the negatives and let the positives drift away. :o

Moonlight wrote:
sirdle wrote:… Then I thought of something I had noticed about myself. And that was, as I sometimes joked, that with every decade my childhood kept getting happier. If you asked me at twenty or at sixty to describe my early years, the report would not have been different about the key facts, but the emphasis would have been different. At twenty, the negatives in my childhood were foreground in my mind the the positives were background; at sixty, the reverse was true. As I grew older, my perspective and sense of what was important about those early years changed.

I wonder if this change of attitude has to do with life experiences. As we age, many of us realize what is most important in life.

My perspective has definitely changed as I have gotten older. The biggest change was when I met my wife... then everything started to fall into place. I can't help but notice how wonderful my life is with her around. ;-)

Moonlight wrote:Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Day 29, Wed

Food
==============================
B: oatmeal, flaxseed
L: split pea soup + salad
S: pineapple
S: tortilla chips
D: potatoes w/ salsa, mustard, ketchup
S: mixed fruit
S: McDougall Soup

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 7,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (30 min)

Rest
Sleep - 6.5 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - very low
Reading - none

Notes
Tortilla Chips - I was very hungry at work today. I ate my salad at 8:30, my fruit at 9:00, and my soup at 10:00. I managed to dodge the free donuts/coffee and the free lunch, but fell at the last jump. I ate a couple of handfuls of chips, and when I got home, I looked up the 'nutrition' information. Holy cow! 56% fat, most of which was saturated! I had no idea. Won't be doing that again. I mean, I would do it again for some foods... but for chips? Nope. It's just not worth it.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:26 am

Day 30, Thu

Food
B: oatmeal, blueberries, flaxseed
L: Caribbean black beans and rice + Asparagus
S: blueberries
D: pasta w/ marinara sauce + butternut squash + zucchini

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 4,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 10 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - very low
Reading - none

Notes
Cardiologist - well... the cardiologist is happy with my progress, but she wants me to stay away from rowing, weight training, and strenuous full-body exercises for the next 2 months! I'm very disheartened by this, but I understand. Well, maybe it will allow me to make some progress with my Tai Chi (which I've been neglecting).
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 am

Day 31, Fri

Food
L: pasta w/ marinara sauce + butternut squash + zucchini
S: pineapple + blueberries
S: bananas

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 9,000 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 10 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - very low
Reading - none

Notes
Exercise - tomorrow, I'll start walking again. :) Haven't we all said that?
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:54 am

Day 32, Sat

Food
L: brown rice w/ pinto beans, salsa
S: boysenberries
D: lentil stew + salad

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 5,000 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 8+1 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - very low
Reading - none

Notes
Exercise - well, I went for a short 20-min walk, but didn't feel well afterward. So I guess I need more rest.

Lentil Stew - from Cathy Fisher's website

Ingredients

1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
    8 cups water
    1½ pounds white potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 4½ cups)
    2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1½ cups)
    1½ cups dry/uncooked brown lentils, rinsed
    3 ribs celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
    1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    3 cups chopped green cabbage

Instructions

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onion and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes, adding a little water as needed.

2. Add the 8 cups water, potatoes, carrots, lentils, celery, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, and cumin, and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-low, then cover and cook for 30 minutes.

3. Stir in the cabbage, then cover and cook for 10 minutes more, or until the lentils are tender.
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Day 33, Sun

Food
S: apple
L: lentil stew + salad
S: cherries
D: pineapple stir fry + brown rice

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 5,000 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 8 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - very low
Reading - none

Notes
Did you know... - that Monarch Butterflies migrate up to 3,000 miles yearly? But that no individual butterfly makes the entire migration because of their limited lifespan? Typically it takes 3-4 generations to complete a single there-and-back migration! October marks the beginning of the reappearance of Monarchs in Southern California.

A grove near where we live had 3,000 butterflies last year. They expect 4,000 this year. But five years ago there were almost 1/4 million! The population has collapsed, but scientists are not sure why: predators, pesticides, global warming, and habitat destruction top the "A-list" of possible causes. Still, sitting in a grove of trees (even if they are eucalyptus) and watching the butterflies flitter about is a relaxing way to spend an October morning.

Pineapple Stir-Fry from Cathy Fisher's website

Ingredients

1 cup chopped yellow onion (½ of a medium onion)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 or 4 medium cloves)
    2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
    2 ribs celery, sliced
    1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    6 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup pineapple juice (or juice from one 20-ounce can)
    2 cups cubed fresh pineapple (or one 20-ounce can)
    1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
    2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
    ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (these are spicy)
    4 green onions, chopped
    4 cups cooked brown rice or noodles to serve 4
    8 oz water chestnuts (my addition)
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds (my addition)

Instructions

1. Chop and prepare all ingredients before starting, as this dish cooks up quickly. Place 1 tablespoon of water into a large skillet on high heat. When the water begins to sputter, add the onion and cook stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.

2. Add the garlic, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Add a little of the pineapple juice gradually as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking.

3. Add the pineapple, ginger, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and any remaining pineapple juice, and cook stirring for another 2 minutes. Stir in the green onion last, just before serving. Serve immediately over hot, cooked brown rice or noodles.
Last edited by sirdle on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirdle

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 am

[quote="sirdle"]Day 32, Sat

Lentil Stew - from Cathy Fisher's website

Thanks for the recipe! Looks delicious.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:10 am

deweyswakms wrote:Lentil Stew - from Cathy Fisher's website

Thanks for the recipe! Looks delicious.

You've welcome. Hope you enjoy it. :)
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am

Day 34, Mon

Food
L: lentil stew + salad
D: potatoes w/ salsa, mustard, ketchup + asparagus

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 6,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 8 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - moderate
Reading - none

Notes
Work - a good day at work: good projects... good people... reasonable deadlines... The only drawback was that I was told (under the table) that the new investors are squeezing, squeezing, squeezing and that I could get mothballed at any time (I'm a contractor working for the company with the new investors). That's always a little stressful. But then again, they've been trying to get rid of me for about 4 years and they haven't managed it yet. :-P

I'm supposed to be training my replacement... but he is several years away from being ready. ;-)
sirdle

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:35 am

Good morning, am catching up on some journals. And I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Be gentle with yourself. Your job is stressful. I just came off a vacation of driving 3+ hours at high speeds and wind, part of it in the dark. Scared the crap out of me. So I couldn't do what you did, drive that distance in the dark, early morning. But we are all tough and do what we have to do. Take care. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks Marsha! It's getting easier every day. :(

Fortunately, I only do that awful drive about once every 3 months. The rest of the time my commute is pretty tame. As for the stress... it is mostly low, but when it gets high, it gets very high. The last year has been pretty good, overall.

Cheers, :-P
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Day 35, Tue

Food
L: pineapple stir fry w/ brown rice + salad
S: mandarin oranges

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 6,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - squats, pushups
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 8 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - moderate
Reading - none

Notes
rest and recovery

Strength - some simple body-weight strength training to maintain where I'm at.

squats - (20)
push ups - (6,6,4,4,6... 26)
Last edited by sirdle on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Day 36, Wed

Food
L: potatoes w/ salsa, mustard, ketchup + salad
S: bananas
D: lentil stew
S: blueberries, pineapple

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 4,000 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 9 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - moderate
Reading - none

Notes
rest and recovery

Food - made another batch of lentil stew to finish off the cabbage and celery from last weekend. Also threw in some mushrooms that were left over from the pineapple stir fry. Otherwise, a pretty tame day.

Torn Muscle - sometime in the last week I tore a muscle in my side. Not sure what I did, but I'm pretty sure it happened while I was sleeping. That's my definition of getting old: you're getting old when most of your injuries occur while you're sleeping. ;-)

Quote of the Day - "The undiscerning mind is like the root of a tree: it absorbs equally all that it touches...
...even the poison that would kill it." --- from the Kung Fu television series
sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals