sirdle - 2019

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: sirdle - 2019

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:36 am

Day 37, Thu

Food
==============================
B: oatmeal, blueberries, flaxseed
L: lentil stew + salad
S: pineapple
D: pineapple stir fry w/ brown rice + cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
S: cherries

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 5,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (30 min); dynamic stretching (20 min)

Rest
Sleep - 7 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - moderate
Reading - none

Notes
Stress - once again, my client told me that the new owners want to cut costs 20%, and he wasn't sure how long he could keep me around. So, now I have to try to figure out how to spend time updating my certifications/skill set and also exercising (which I haven't been doing).

Well this should be a good test. If I can manage to study, work, exercise, and eat well I'll be juggling more balls than I've ever juggled before. ;-)
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

What I Eat

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Several people have asked me what I eat, so I did a quick search of my meals, and I estimate I typically eat...

starches, 2-4 servings
grains, 2-4 servings
veggies, 8-10 servings
fruits, 7-9 servings
nuts/seeds, 1 serving
legumes, 1-2 servings

90% of the food I eat is:

starches -- potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnips, jicama, water chestnuts
grains -- oats, rice, barley, faro, corn, wheat
veggies -- greens, bell pepper, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, Brussels Sprouts, asparagus, artichoke, celery, onion, carrots, mushrooms
fruits -- berries, pineapple, cherries, bananas, apples, grapes, melons, mandarin oranges, peaches, pears
nuts/seeds -- flaxseed, sesame seeds
legumes -- beans (garbanzo, pinto, black, kidney, navy), lentils, split peas
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Re: What I Eat

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:59 am

sirdle wrote:Several people have asked me what I eat, so I did a quick search of my meals, and I estimate I typically eat...

starches -- potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnips, jicama, water chestnuts
veggies -- greens, bell pepper, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, Brussels Sprouts, asparagus, artichoke, celery, onion, carrots, mushrooms
fruits -- berries, pineapple, cherries, bananas, apples, grapes, melons, mandarin oranges, peaches, pears

Thanks. I too need more volume to feel full. And I eat a lot of the same things, but do you really eat 8-10 servings of fruit and veggies each day? a serving size is about 1/2 a cup I think. I could be eating more of those. Thanks.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Re: What I Eat

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:07 am

deweyswakms wrote:
sirdle wrote:Several people have asked me what I eat, so I did a quick search of my meals, and I estimate I typically eat...

Thanks. I too need more volume to feel full. And I eat a lot of the same things, but do you really eat 8-10 servings of fruit and veggies each day? a serving size is about 1/2 a cup I think. I could be eating more of those. Thanks.

Converting what I eat into "servings" is really weird, and I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. Mostly because the rules are different for different foods and I don't eat the same things each day.

I think on those days when I am eating 10 servings of veggies, I'm probably eating 5 serving of fruit. And vice versa. Here's how I'm counting my typical portion sizes:

12 oz bag of frozen blueberries = 2.5 servings
16 oz bag of frozen cherries = 3.2 servings
16 oz bag of frozen bananas = 3.2 servings
1 lb grapes = 3 servings
8 oz can of pineapple = 1 serving
1 apple = 1 serving

12 oz bag of frozen asparagus = 4 servings
16 oz bag of frozen green beans = 5 servings
10 oz bag of frozen cauliflower = 3.5 servings
16 oz bag of frozen Brussels sprouts = 2 servings
4C salad filled 80% full = 5 servings

For fruit, a typical day might be 5 oz of blueberries with my oatmeal, an 8 oz can of pineapple with lunch, a bag of blueberries in the late afternoon and another after dinner, for a total of 7 servings. But if I am working from home, I might eat a pound of grapes instead of the pineapple, adding 2 more servings. So, say 7-9 servings.

For vegetables, I typically eat a salad in a 5 cup bowl... say about 4 cups. The salad is often: greens, zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, celery, garbanzo beans, mandarin oranges, and peperoncini. I'm calling that 4 servings. In the late afternoon, I will often eat a bag of frozen vegetables, 2-5 servings depending on what I have handy. For either lunch or dinner, I often eat some sort of soup or stew, with vegetables mixed in, so another serving of veggies. So, say 8-10 servings.

But you are right. On the days when I have a late afternoon fruit, I don't eat veggies with my dinner. And vice versa. So those totals are a little high.

But here's the thing I discovered in the past two weeks: the fruits that I tend to overeat on are the fruits that I don't need to chew much. I never overeat on apples. But blueberries? I love the taste explosion when I bite into a partially frozen blueberry... especially on a hot day! And then, the blueberries just sort of slide down my throat. And before I know it the whole bag is gone... sometimes two (or maybe three) bags. :shock:

So the rule for me has to be: you can't have any fruit until you've eaten your veggies! :idea:

Cheers, :-P
Last edited by sirdle on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 am

Day 38, Fri

Food
S: blueberries
D: pasta w/ marinara sauce, zucchini, butternut squash
S: apple

fruit: 6 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 4,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - body weight exercises (10 min)
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (40 min)

Rest
Sleep - 6.5+2 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - moderate
Reading - none

Notes
Strength Training - some simple body-weight strength training to maintain where I'm at while I recover.

squats - (20)
push ups - (6,8,6,6,7... 33)
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:56 am

Day 39, Sat

Food
L: pasta w/ marinara sauce, zucchini, butternut squash + salad
S: mangoes
D: lentil stew
S: assorted nuts (at the dance)
S: corn

fruit: 5 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 10,500 steps
Cardio - dancing (60 min)
Strength - none
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (30 min)

Rest
Sleep - 7+2 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - none

Notes
Dancing - Contra Dance! Where my latissimus dorsi attaches to my ribs has been very sore for the past week due to a slight tear, which keeps getting worse whenever I stand or sit too quickly, or hit a bump while driving. I thought I wasn't going to be able to dance, but I bought a large bandage and tightly wrapped my chest like a mummy and it was GREAT! :idea:

Also, although I had a slight tightness in my chest after the dance, it was much less than earlier in the week when I went for a walk around the block. For the first time in almost 5 weeks I'm optimistic and feeling like I've turned some sort of corner. I meet with my cardiologist again on Tuesday for another ultrasound. With luck, she'll say I can start to increase my workouts. Fingers crossed.

The band was okay and the caller was mediocre, but the hall was filled with energy and we had a larger-than-usual turnout. So, in my book, the evening was a success! 8)

Even though I was well fed, I was still hungry at the dance, so I ate about 2 oz of nuts... maybe 3... but stayed away from the cookies and candies. So, I'd call that a success, too. 8)
Last edited by sirdle on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirdle

Postby moonlight » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Sirdle,
The dance sounds like fun. I friend of mine is at a weekend dance in Jonesboro, TN this weekend. All this dance talk is getting me motivated to go take a spin. :)

Have you ever made the Indian Potato Patties | Aloo Ki Tikki from the Rouxbe Cooking School course?
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 am

moonlight wrote:Hi Sirdle,
The dance sounds like fun. I friend of mine is at a weekend dance in Jonesboro, TN this weekend. All this dance talk is getting me motivated to go take a spin. :)

Have you ever made the Indian Potato Patties | Aloo Ki Tikki from the Rouxbe Cooking School course?

Nope. I haven't made it. Sorry.

... and, yes, you should get out and do some dancing! :ninja:
sirdle

Ninja Squirrel

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:23 am

When I reach my target weight, this might have to be my new avatar...

... from an article on the Daily Mail about photographing squirrels.
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 am

Day 40, Sun

Food
L: brown rice and lentils w/salsa + salad
D: pasta w/ marinara sauce, zucchini, butternut squash + green beans
S: apples

fruit: 6 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 2,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (30 min)

Rest
Sleep - 7+2 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - "The New Rules of Posture", Mary Bond

Notes
rest and recover
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 am

You read the most interesting books, I like that. I did that during a "weightloss/fitness" challenge many years ago. One of the requirements was to read health related books daily. Currently I just finished the worst trashy romance of my life just last night (Amish romance novels aren't too exciting, and I'm sure real like is a little spicier than this book was) then went on to start reading about "fast fashion" and the garment industry (something that does interest me as I do sew most my own clothes.)

I've become lazy in my health reading. I did so much WFPB books that I burned myself out. I read them all, McDougall, Esselstyn, Gregor, Fuhrman, Barnard, etc. I then took to YouTube which I can watch while sewing.

Did you ever do a review on the Clarence Bass book? I went to the website and browsed a bit.

Oh, I just ordered 4 old-school female bodybuilding books. That will be fun when they arrive.
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 am

AnnetteW wrote:Did you ever do a review on the Clarence Bass book? I went to the website and browsed a bit.

No. I was waiting for you to get back from your trip. LOL. I'll do that this afternoon.
sirdle

Re: Ninja Squirrel

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:02 pm

sirdle wrote:When I reach my target weight, this might have to be my new avatar...

... from an article on the Daily Mail about photographing squirrels.

Get you a squirrel tattoo! I can design it! :D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Ninja Squirrel

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:39 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Get you a squirrel tattoo! I can design it! :D

LOL! I'm sure it would look awesome! :mrgreen:
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Day 41, Mon

Food
D: brown rice + steamed veggies
S: apple

fruit: 7 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 6,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (40 min)

Rest
Sleep - 7 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low

Notes
rest and recover
sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals