A Princess Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A Princess Journal

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:16 am

Good day yesterday!

B: I was in a hurry so I popped in the last of the potato soup I made the other day. Then out the door.
L: Huge salad with oat groats, garbanzo beans, oranges, etc..
D: Leftovers from last night - Mediterranean rice, roasted roots, and sautéed mushrooms and onions
S: banana

AND, tada! I went to the gym and my leg held up just fine. Of course, I did take it easy as I haven’t exercised much in the last 2 months.

5 min elliptical
10 min treadmill at 2.6 mph
15 min recumbent bike

I’m finding it’s getting so much easier to not snack on candy, cookies, and crap the longer I stay away from it. And, seeing the scale go down helps a whole bunch, too!!!

*Feeling happy and determined*
Amy :) :-D :D :nod:
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:48 am

What's the issue with your knee, I might have missed that. I started my WFPB diet last February and had been having so much knee pain and aches and pains in general. It probably took a good 6 months for the aches/pains to fade away. I still have to be careful about my knees as they will hurt a bit, but I had appts with the Orthopedic surgeon fairly recently (as I still had some issues) and he did say there was no sign of arthritis and to keep building up the muscles, the more I exercised the better they were feeling.

So definitely work them, just ease in. And don't expect them to be miraculously better in a couple weeks. So much I would read would say people felt better in 2 weeks on this diet, well, like I said, it took me a lot longer.

Take care.
AnnetteW

Postby Zoey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 am

Amy, thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I guess I should post my story somewhere, shouldn't I? Maybe I'll put this short summary in my profile:
Vegetarian for 25 years.
McDougall vegan for 2 years.
Meat eater for past 2 years due to hair and skin issues. Was sick more in these two years than in the past 27 combined.
January 2020 decided that maybe I should have just taken those B12 supplements all along! Happy to be back from the dark side.

And I know what you mean about those husbands of ours. I will have to be diligent all year to drop ten pounds. My husband could drop them by simply deciding to.

Great news about your leg yesterday!
Zoey

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am

AnnetteW wrote:What's the issue with your knee, I might have missed that.

Hi, Annette. I have been going to the chiropractor for most of my adult life due to a car accident when I was 19. For the past couple of years my left hip kept going out of alignment. When that would happen it was like I had no muscles at all in my left leg. Then I’d go to the chiro and she’d fix it. Sometimes that would take for a couple of weeks but sometimes it was out of whack by the time I got home. I finally got fed up and asked my primary doctor for a physical therapy script. I figured there had to be a muscular problem going on. I was right. The laundry list from PT was:

1. I walk on the outside of my feet and that throws everything off.
2. My hamstrings are tight, quads are weak.
3. My IT Bands are “singing” on both legs.
4. Xrays revealed moderate arthritis throughout the entire left knee compartment. And, the same on the outside compartments of my right knee.
5. S.I. Joint inflammation
6. Left hip bursitis

I have to say though, since eating clean starting Jan. 1, I feel amazingly better! :D
Aprincess

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:55 am

Zoey wrote: Great news about your leg yesterday!

Thanks! And, I’m glad you’re back from the dark side, too! It’s so funny, in the past .. over a year and a half now, that we have be WFPB, we have not been sick (knocking on wood). Absolutely amazing to me!
Aprincess

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Aprincess wrote:
AnnetteW wrote:What's the issue with your knee, I might have missed that.

Hi, Annette. I have been going to the chiropractor for most of my adult life due to a car accident when I was 19. For the past couple of years my left hip kept going out of alignment. When that would happen it was like I had no muscles at all in my left leg. Then I’d go to the chiro and she’d fix it. Sometimes that would take for a couple of weeks but sometimes it was out of whack by the time I got home. I finally got fed up and asked my primary doctor for a physical therapy script. I figured there had to be a muscular problem going on. I was right. The laundry list from PT was:

1. I walk on the outside of my feet and that throws everything off.
2. My hamstrings are tight, quads are weak.
3. My IT Bands are “singing” on both legs.
4. Xrays revealed moderate arthritis throughout the entire left knee compartment. And, the same on the outside compartments of my right knee.
5. S.I. Joint inflammation
6. Left hip bursitis

I have to say though, since eating clean starting Jan. 1, I feel amazingly better! :D

So glad you decided to get that PT work up. I've been a frequent flyer with chiropractors myself due to an accident when I was a teen...showing off for my boyfriend when I was 17 and did a fancy dive that landed wrong. So wry neck was a serious issue for me all the time. Well, one time it hit and I didn't have chiropractic on my benefits so I was prescribed PT by my regular doc...guess what happened as the PT worked those splinted muscles of my neck...the bones started fitting themselves back to normal one click at a time. It took a dozen PT treatments but working the muscles is what did it. A tempurpedic pillow put the finish on my frequent chiropractor visits :nod:

Did they give you any fixes for that outside of the foot walking?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Zoey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:43 pm

It is amazing, isn't it? And so easy. Cheers to the light!
Zoey

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:25 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:
Did they give you any fixes for that outside of the foot walking?

Hi there!

Glad PT worked for you. I’ve done PT before and never had much luck. I guess it depends on where/who you go to. I was really pleasantly surprised this time.

All she said about that was that I should get some kind of corrective insoles. My feet are horrible. I’ve walked on the outside of my feet my whole life. My feet are very wide with a high instep and a deep heel. It’s extremely hard to find any shoe or sneaker that fits my feet. And, when I do I usually have to take out whatever insole that comes with it so my heel will sit right. I’ve tried those hard orthopedic things before and it just didn’t work. :-(

~ Amy :)
Aprincess

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Zoey wrote:It is amazing, isn't it? And so easy. Cheers to the light!

Woot! Woot! :) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Aprincess » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:33 am

So far I seem to be having a great week. I love it when I can plan and then stick to the plan. That doesn’t always happen because.. you know.. life, but I’ll take it when I can get it!

Yesterday:

B: Banana
L: Brussel Sprouts, Great Northern Beans & Peach flavored balsamic vinegar
D: Mashed Potatoes, Sautéed Shiitake Mushrooms, peppers & onions, and Corn
S: Banana (can you tell I love bananas?)

Have a great day! :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Zoey » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 am

Oh my gosh, I have to grocery shop today, and I'm going to try to get through without buying bananas. I love them, and logically they should be filling, but they do NOT fill me up at all. Do you think I'll make it through checkout? :)
Zoey

Postby Aprincess » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 am

Zoey wrote:Oh my gosh, I have to grocery shop today, and I'm going to try to get through without buying bananas. I love them, and logically they should be filling, but they do NOT fill me up at all. Do you think I'll make it through checkout? :)

LOL! You are so funny! Good luck. I know I couldn’t do it! Rofl! :D :D :-D :-D
Aprincess

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:52 am

I had another great day yesterday!

B: Banana
L: Huge salad with oat groats, navy beans, strawberries, apple, hemp seeds, and peach balsamic vinegar
S: Leftover mashed potatoes, peppers, and corn *small bowl
D: Roasted baby potatoes, Japanese sweet potato and veggies with “Cheez” sauce and Broccoli
S: Banana

I went to the gym. 10 min elliptical and 20 on the treadmill. I also did some 30 lb leg extensions to try and strengthen my quads.

I seriously thought I was “broken”. It seemed nothing worked. I’ve been WFPB for a year and a half and have watched my husband shrink while my weight loss was minimal. We always “think” we are eating right but now in hindsight I can see where every time I got some weight loss going I would self sabotage and start dipping into my daughter’s cookies, or sneaking a bag of potato chips, grabbing a vegan oily meal while out. One cheat would lead to “well, I don’t do this often”, then “often” became relative to what? Who knows. But, now here I am down 4.3 lbs. for the week and I’m actually scared. I’ve been fully compliant since Jan 1st. I don’t feel deprived. It didn’t even seem hard. All I have to do is follow Jeff’s instructions and it just works. I guess I’m not broken after all. :)

Jan. 1 - 210
Jan. 3 - 209
Jan. 10 - 204.7
Down 4.3 lbs this week

Have a great week of healthy food and a healthy mindset! :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Zoey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:15 am

And nothing motivates like results. Way to go! What a great way to start the weekend. :-D

Oh, and I made it home yesterday without buying the bananas. You have much more control with those things than I do!
Zoey

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 am

Zoey wrote:And nothing motivates like results. Way to go! What a great way to start the weekend. :-D

Oh, and I made it home yesterday without buying the bananas. You have much more control with those things than I do!

No bananas? But, what will you eat??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aprincess

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals