Annette's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Annette's Journal

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:42 pm

AnnetteW wrote:
deweyswakms wrote: I'm close to the Indian Mission and Bishop Miege.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm currently reading Dr. Greger's new book and there is so much information in it. I'll probably add a few of the tweaks, but not all of them. I don't even know what they are all at this point. The information about fiber was very good, and I will definitely start eating more intact grains. In fact, I like them more than the morning bowl of oatmeal. I'll probably start making my own grain mixes for my morning cereal.

Hope your bad cold is better. I know right where you live. I was just 1 block off Roe Blvd. I want to read Dr. G's book. Good idea about the grain mixes. Merry Christmas, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:52 am

The grains seem to be doing wonders for me (if that's what's kicked my body into action) so I'll take it. Down to the 145's and I hope not to go up. Time to stay strong over the holidays.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:27 pm

AnnetteW wrote:The grains seem to be doing wonders for me (if that's what's kicked my body into action) so I'll take it. Down to the 145's and I hope not to go up. Time to stay strong over the holidays.

Congratulations on the weight loss! All your hard work is paying off! :mrgreen:
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:59 am

I'm really feeling frustrated, still not up to par from this cold. And it's not just me, not able to get past it, my husband started his a few days prior to me catching it and he's still hacking and snorting, so it's just a longer than 7-10 cold. I'm tired though. I really wanted to go back to the gym, my body is tired of resting, yet motivation to do any exercise is just not there.

I don't do well when I'm lacking motivation. I'm a naturally energetic person who can always find things to do, there is so much to do, fun and not so fun....right now I just want to vege out on the computer, or read a book, heck, even nap.

My weight was up this morning...since I know I can't gain 2 lbs of fat over night, it's just water weight. I will just ignore that for now. Eating is pretty good though a few holiday treats have snuck in. Nothing too extreme though. I need a few extra salads though, I get lazy on that on the weekends.

I just don't like dragging...off to drag myself to the sofa now.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:00 am

I'm truly a bit of a grinch and am glad Christmas is over. I plan on taking the tree down this weekend and clearing out the house. We've been doing a big binge watch of Hoarders and gives us incentive to junk stuff out. We don't even have much stuff left at this point ( ha ha...or so we think.)

Still at the tail of the never ending cold, but I can at least tell it's finally going away. Still no motivation to exercise, I'm totally off track right now.

Weight was up to 149 even yesterday morning and I almost had a fit. This morning was 148. I haven't been eating bad foods, just too much high density stuff. I'm going to try not to be too hard on myself and phase it out again by adding more good stuff.

I have lunch out with the ladies today, the menu of where we are going is quite small. I'll either have their veggie burger (which once again will put me off plan) or I eat plain old lettuce, which does not sound good either. I'll make the call at lunch time.

Our oven broke, so no baking. Ha Ha..that's away to watch the holiday foodstuffs. We are having a New Years Day party and our menu has now changed from a Tapas bar to Soups. I'm a bread baker extraordinaire, but now bread will be made in the bread maker...how funny. Soups and salads and appetizers and bread sounds good to me.

As I start thinking of 2020 I'm realizing I don't have to think about going on any specific diet this year. I just need to rein in the diet I'm currently on. I like knowing that about myself. I'm in a halfway decent diet place right now, I'm never going to be perfect, but I will continue to focus on the positive aspects of my diet, work on eating less and less of the unhealthy foods, and clean up as I can.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:42 am

Eek, weight is still up in the 149 range. A little bit scary as it's hard to turn things around. I have the desire for the high density foods in my mouth/mind/tummy, though sticking to vegetarian/vegan isn't too difficult.

So glad today is a normal day. I'll do my best to get back on plan. We do go to a New Years Eve Eve party tonight but dinner is not till 7:30 and that's kind of past my eating time. I have already decided to bring a nice dal. No one brings something like that, heck most the people there will never have tasted it. But I love it. So that's what I'll bring. I'm also making myself my own salad to bring (possibly) and not to share in case there is nothing else there for me to eat. I can just keep it in my bag or something to use if needed.

Part of me hates having to think about food all the time, but I'm definitely not ready to go off on my own.

I've been munching on nuts and raisins most day. Why? Why? Why? I know better. I'm just off track.

And I'm officially back to the gym today. I'll take one class that's not too difficult and do some weights too. That's it, no cardio or anything, I don't want to beat myself up. And I can plan on doing it again tomorrow.

My body seriously feels soft after a few weeks of no exercise.

Two days ago I started taking the digestive enzymes that are supposed to help with my extreme farting lately, we'll probably be finding out by today if they help at all. And I did enjoy my sprouted grain cereal breakfast yesterday morning. I have enough for 2 more days, so will start sprouting more today. I'm definitely going to start doing a lot more soaking of beans, as I did a lot of reading and it was talking about soaking up to 24 hours, not just overnight. I guess it's possible I just haven't got all that's needed to properly digest (and gut ferment). I understand we all fart and such, but this has become silly lately.

Will update on that soon.
AnnetteW

Postby Shmookitty » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Annette, just to mention about digestive enzymes and gas - my husband has some bad problems with gas too. One day at work about three weeks ago, one of his female co-workers lashed out at him and shamed him about it.

I happened to be re-reading Starch Solution and Dr. McDougall was talking about acidic foods and methionine causing sulfur-smelling gas (see pages 38-43). Well, Chris had previously been prescribed nightly Prilosec for his night-time acid reflux, but he only took it as needed. After reading what I did, I suggested he follow his doctor's orders and start taking it every night to reduce the acid in his body. His gas is majorly improved now and he is not self-conscious for the most part.

I don't know if that's something you might want to discuss with your doctor, or try. Prilosec is over the counter now.
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:35 pm

Shmookitty wrote:Annette, just to mention about digestive enzymes and gas - my husband has some bad problems with gas too. One day at work about three weeks ago, one of his female co-workers lashed out at him and shamed him about it.

I happened to be re-reading Starch Solution and Dr. McDougall was talking about acidic foods and methionine causing sulfur-smelling gas (see pages 38-43). Well, Chris had previously been prescribed nightly Prilosec for his night-time acid reflux, but he only took it as needed. After reading what I did, I suggested he follow his doctor's orders and start taking it every night to reduce the acid in his body. His gas is majorly improved now and he is not self-conscious for the most part.

I don't know if that's something you might want to discuss with your doctor, or try. Prilosec is over the counter now.

Interesting, I might go back and read that. I've never had issues with reflux, I don't think I have high acid. I think it's more likely the other way around that I don't have strong enough digestive juices. Who knows. I just don't want to take anything, honestly.

But I'm thinking perhaps the 100% whole grains for breakfast (the whole wheat berries, and rye berries for instance) just aren't easy enough for me to digest. I've decided instead of soaking that I'll just go back to oats and 7 grain cereals, which have more rolled grains in them.

One of the best parts of going McDougall is not taking supplements. I will continue to take the one I have right now, but lighten up a bit of the grain fibers.

That seems logical to me at this time at least. And perhaps when things settle down a bit, I can re-add them, but maybe they just aren't for me.

I posted on the Mutual Accountability thread that I missed a party last night. I was so upset thinking I was getting sick again, I'm not recovered from that last cold. But I feel okay today and we will go to a party tonight. I just plan on staying away from the eats if possible. And if I blow it, well, tomorrow is a New Day, a New Year...heck, it's a New DECADE!!!!!

I'll whip the slate clean. But honestly, I have no clue on blowing it. Party isn't till later, and I've never been one to eat late at night.

Tomorrow we have a family New Years day party at the house. Food is a bit of an issue as our oven broke right before Christmas and we don't get a new one for 2 more weeks....ouch. My husband is making posole, and I have a big batch of dal prepared (it was for the party last night). I will have 3 loaves of bread cooking in a bread machine, rather than an oven. But deciding on appetizers is difficult. I'll make a large tossed salad, and veggies with hummus. We'll have chips and salsa. Cookies (no I won't eat them). And I've already decided not to buy booze as I'm not safe around it.

Well i'll post back tomorrow.
AnnetteW

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:07 pm

I hear you about the supplements. I like that part of McDougalling too. Chris still eats meat and cheese, where you don't, so it may not be a factor for you. Your post just reminded me of that part of the book.

Enjoy your party! :-D
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm

Shmookitty wrote:I hear you about the supplements. I like that part of McDougalling too. Chris still eats meat and cheese, where you don't, so it may not be a factor for you. Your post just reminded me of that part of the book.

Enjoy your party! :-D

So much to learn either way. Funny for me, meat and cheese has been the easiest for me to give up. I think because it's not as "hidden" in other foods. Cheese might be, but it's still quite obvious. I've actually realized my taste for cheese has changed. I still do love a favorite "Greek Salad" which of course has feta on it, so feta will stay in my diet occasionally (in that salad situation only). Also I do enjoy Paneer dishes at our favorite Indian restaurant, so at this time that will be another dairy product that I will continue to eat. I do occasionally add raita do my dish (which is the yogurt sauce) but it's not much, and perhaps I can stop that. But as I'm not aiming to be a true Vegan, I'm not too stressed by it. I have not been able to make a good alternative for at home, my soy yogurt has been kind of crummy.

I went with my husband to the grocery store today, and walking up and down a few aisles was so depressing. There is virtually no real food on the shelves anymore. It's all just junk and chemicals. Package after package, things I absolutely have no interest in eating. Perhaps I splurge too much that isn't on plan - heck today I had homemade bread with almond butter (fresh ground) and honey, and dang it was delicious - but that is so much better than half a box of commercial cookies.

I do need to pull on my big girl panties though and find the strength to power through for a few days, to get over that initial hump again.

I was chatting with a friend recently about it being difficult when out with others, and made the comment about not wanting to judge others. She said to go ahead and judge, and use it to tell yourself you are better than they are. You are stronger AND better because you don't eat the garbage they eat. You don't treat yourself poorly, etc. Heck, the conversation might have started about me complaining how I can't not buy a drink when my friends do. Truly that was probably the case. :duh:

So now I'm wondering if I can use that thought, that YES, I AM BETTER THAN YOU, because I choose to take care of myself. I'm not sure where my head stands on those thoughts, but I can perhaps find a way to use it.

I need to learn to care totally about myself. I'm thinking about that as we get ready to leave for a party. If I don't eat the junk food (which for the most part I do avoid at this time) and I don't take that first glass of wine, am I doing it for myself or to prove something to myself, or do I want to be better than others. BTW, I'm saying this all with a sneaky grin on my face :D Just to use it to help myself, not actually because I think less of someone else.

Well, I want to wish everyone all the best this New Years Eve. Time to go make myself gorgeous :eek:
AnnetteW

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 am

Funny for me, meat and cheese has been the easiest for me to give up.

Wow, we are so alike! I am the same way. If I go off the rails it’s with things like potato chips, or oil in a restaurant. For some reason meat and cheese have no pull for me. I guess that’s the line I drew in the sand. Perhaps I just need to tweak that line a bit more to stay on track.
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:35 am

Aprincess wrote:
Funny for me, meat and cheese has been the easiest for me to give up.

Wow, we are so alike! I am the same way. If I go off the rails it’s with things like potato chips, or oil in a restaurant. For some reason meat and cheese have no pull for me. I guess that’s the line I drew in the sand. Perhaps I just need to tweak that line a bit more to stay on track.

I think the "line in the sand" comment is very easy to relate to. It's relatively easy to say I won't eat this or I won't eat that. But things like oil are just snuck into general foods and it is not so easy. I'm still struggling with removing the salt. I think it's because Dr. McD said it's okay to have, so to me it's okay. And the dash of stevia in my oats each morning. I want to stop it (and the salt) but I haven't yet.

Today is a new day though, I'm going in stronger.

I did not have my first glass of wine last night at the party, which meant I didn't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I told myself champagne at Midnight would be allowed, but none was served, so none was drunk. I checked out the refreshments and had a few veggies and a few pieces of fruit. I didn't cheat with dips or chips. One chip would have led to 2 to 3 to 4. Yes, I know the pattern. Oh, and the chocolates, lots of chocolates. I did not have 1, or 2 or 3 or 4.

My official January 1, 2020 weight is 148.2. Bah....I saw 145 not too long ago. But that means to me there is a few pounds of something on me that is ready to be released.

It's GAME ON for me right now with MWL. This is always hard for me to follow, and yes, I'm already allowing myself a few tweaks. The occasional soy product will not send me running (soy milk or tofu, both of which are in my fridge). At home I will plan on following MWL as closely as possible, but allow myself to relax slightly when eating out. I will also continue to bake the occasional loaf of sourdough bread, I can't let my starter die, and I enjoy baking it so much. I'll focus on more whole grains though.

I'm lightening up on the whole grains for breakfast, I think they've been the major culprit in my gut issues lately. For now I will go back to rolled oats. I also need to not eat too many beans.

Plan for today: (we're having a party today also)

Breakfast - cooked oats, blueberries (I will do my best to skip the salt and stevia and work on retraining my taste buds)
Snack - cooked potatoes
Dinner - dal, brown rice, salad, veggies
Snack - dinner is at 3 pm, so if hungry I will have some fruit

That's looking a little bare to me, but I need to get a jump start on this. It takes a few days to get the body cleared out and back in the mood to drop weight. I've been maintaining since early October, so 3 months now. I read something that said after the body drops 30 lbs it wants to stop losing weight, it said 30 lbs or 6 months I believe. Well, for me I was right at both of those. I guess my body wanted to take a rest, settle in to the weight it had lost and become comfortable. Seriously maintaining at this under 150 range has been a breeze, but now it's time to work again.

I'm sure I'll have lots of mental ramblings to come.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Geez, our dinner party basically fell through tonight. One daughter has two kids sick with colds, so that's 4 that couldn't attend. Another daughter had a friend who had a friend die, so she was with her to support her. Son and friend got tied up with something. One daughter and kid attended, her husband got busy with something else.

Well, like I said, a bust, and all this food...whatever.

It feel good to have a day under my belt with no small bowls of roasted nuts and raisins, that's been my most recent binge. I'll work on cleaning things up over the next few days.
AnnetteW

Postby Aprincess » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:45 am

It feel good to have a day under my belt with no small bowls of roasted nuts and raisins, that's been my most recent binge.

During the Holidays I was snacking on small bowls of baking walnuts and mini vegan chocolate chips! :shock: So, I totally understand where you are coming from. I think it usually takes me about 3 or 4 days to get over those sugar cravings. For me, though, nuts are always around the house because we give them to our parrots as occasional treats. I guess that will be another line in the sand that I’m just going to have to draw.

Have a great day! :-D
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:33 am

Aprincess wrote: I think it usually takes me about 3 or 4 days to get over those sugar cravings... I guess that will be another line in the sand that I’m just going to have to draw.

Exactly, I always think getting back on any "diet" track takes 3-4 days. Right now it's getting over a sweets desire, even though my sweets were raisins and dates. And nuts are so easy when you are a bit munchy. I'm drawing the line too
serene wrote:I'm sorry your get-together fell through, but I'm glad you did okay.
Thanks, I am still a bit pissed at them all :twisted:

~~~~~~~~
So today is officially back to a sort of normal life for me. After 3 weeks of the URI, I will head back to the gym once again today. Tried it on Monday and that didn't turn out well. Today is a spin class, ouch, that's going to be difficult. Plus I'm going to have to find a way to stay really busy this afternoon and out of the kitchen to avoid too much eating temptation as I will be hungry. I will plan to allow for a bowl of oatmeal for an afternoon snack.

Plan for today:
Breakfast - oats, blueberries
Lunch - potatoes, salad, garbanzos
Snack - oats, apple
Dinner - brown rice, dal, cooked kale
Exercise - Spin class
AnnetteW

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals