Annette's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Annette's Journal

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 am

Well poop...I wrote out my goals and obviously forgot the final "save." I was trying to format it all pretty, kept clicking "preview." I guess that just means something was not right with my goals and I was meant to rethink them. LOL....I'm doing a lot of "thinking" lately about why things happen and all. Heck, yesterday I drove to the gym for my class, and when I got there the repairman called and was on his way to my house (he was scheduled for the afternoon.) So I turned around and went home. Then last night I got in the car to go to another gym for my hula hoop class, and they were closed due to unforeseen circumstances. Who drives twice to separate gyms in one day and can't get in their exercise? I did some hula hoop at home. Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Did not make that shepard's pie recipe, ate leftovers instead and brussel sprouts. My husband is out of town for a few days so I will really work hard on paying attention to my diet. Though I do have lunch out tomorrow. We have a gala event on Saturday night and I've already planned on eating a big potato dinner before going, enjoying a glass or two of wine at the event and picking on my salad. Boom!!!!! I can do it.

I will order a hard copy of MWL today.

Right now I have a blend of grains and a bit of lentils in the Instant Pot, instead of making oatmeal for breakfast I am trying my own mixed grain blend. I have wheat and rye berries, buckwheat, black and white quinoa, crimson lentils, urad dal, and millet. 1/4 cup of each. So I put 1 cup of the blend and 3 cups of water in the IP and set it on multigrain mode. We'll see how it turns out.

With my husband gone I will try to eat up whatever is in the veggie bin without buying more. I do have some lettuce, a whole head of cabbage, carrots and celery, a giant beet (I need to cook that so I can eat it.) I have potatoes and a squash (they can wait). There is a serving of pea soup to eat up and a serving of marinara sauce. I love cabbage, onions and carrots win marinara on top of pasta (I have one serving of rice pasta I can use up.) Personally I hate the rice pasta and then will stick with regular and whole wheat.

Plan for today:

Breakfast - mixed grain/lentil blend, banana (needs to be used up too I believe)

Lunch - potatoes, marinara, cabbage, carrots, onions

Snack - bowl of canteloupe that's in the fridge

Dinner - salad and pea soup

Exercise - class at gym, weights, cardio, hula hoop practice
Last edited by AnnetteW on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Goals to focus on now to Jan 1 -

My present health is relatively good. I'm feeling good since changing my diet last February. Many aches and pains have gone away, though my knees hurt (I don't think that's diet related). My skin has cleared tremendously, but is not 100% clear. I hope to see that gone in the future. I've had a long cold, still sniffling, not sure if it's a cold or allergies. My stomach rarely hurts, my gut/bowels are in good shape. I did have that clear colonoscopy. I'm not sure what my blood numbers are currently. I've lost over 30 lbs but still would like to lose around 20 more, give or take.

My short term weight goal (till end of year) is to actually push the diet a bit, get on track as much as I can (I know myself and can not do 100% all the time) and get down as close to 140 as possible. That would mean losing a solid 1lb a week, and actually losing it, not popping up and down around it. I use the TrendWeight program on my computer and to lose 1 lb a week would put me at 142, and therefore my goal is to see the "trend" be at 142 (not 142.9, closer to 142.1 for instance.)

I will follow MWL 100% for breakfast and lunches at home, and snacks if needed.

I will follow MWL and/or SS for dinners. I will allow myself a small allowance for flours, corn tortillas, pastas, with my dinner, but not daily.

When eating out I will continue to do the absolute best I can.

Also when eating out, depending on the situation, I will eat at home ahead of time as to not need to eat when out, this will definitely be a judgement call.

I will allow a little break for Thanksgiving and Christmas if I choose to, but only if I've been really well on track up to those eating times.

My exercise focus will be as it currently is, try to go to the gym during the weekdays, take a class that interests me. I will do cardio/weights if I choose to. I will keep exercise as a strong focus, but it's more about going, and doing that working hard.

Areas I've been slacking in have been mostly caloric density, eating way too many nuts/seeds/raisins. I can cut those out for the time being. Also soy milk can be dropped, though I like it I don't need it. I also have to not eat honey on my cereals, a dash of stevia works well for me. Really really really focus on MWL foods and caloric density.
AnnetteW

Postby Shmookitty » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Good luck with your goals! I will be here following your progress. :-D

I am losing more than two pounds per week lately, since starting the regular McDougall program, and that's okay with me, so I haven't gone to MWL. I like a tablespoon of something like pepitas or unsweetened coconut on my grain bowls, and don't really want to give that up. I also like tofu (I eat it twice a week, and not every week) and whole grain pasta. I don't think I could restrict enough to do MWL.

Speaking of rice pasta, I also have tried greens pasta, which I didn't like because I don't like zucchini and it really tasted like zucchini. I have turmeric pasta, cauliflower and fava bean pasta, and chickpea pasta in the pantry to try. I only have pasta once a week so it will take some time to try all those! I also always keep whole wheat pasta in the house. I'll post on my journal when I try the alternative pastas so if I don't like them, you don't necessarily have to waste money on them. I have been curious about brown rice pasta, but now that you've said you don't like it, I probably won't buy any!
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Brown rice pasta is okay, I'm actually cooking up the last of it now, but I prefer regular wheat pasta, even whole wheat, and plan on sticking with it rather than trying other things.

So today I'm going through my clothes and getting rid of things that are just too large. I really don't have things too small at this time, only an item or two to shrink in to. To the best of my ability I want to wear what I have, sew what I want/need and then go crazy when I'm at/close to goal.

Ahhhh, to dream about a gorgeous wardrobe.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 pm

I like your idea to wait until your goal weight then go crazy with a new wardrobe! I think I'll keep that in mind, too. That's some incentive!

Just my 2 cents, if you find any buckwheat pasta you might give it a try. I love it. It's very different from WW pasta. I order some from Amazon because I couldn't find any locally.
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:47 pm

I love cleaning out the closet to get rid of big clothes! I have been donating to Goodwill as soon as I have replacements in a smaller size. I've gone from a 3X to an XL and have gotten rid of a LOT.

I am now shopping exclusively at Kohl's sales and Goodwill until I reach my goal weight (62 pounds to go), since I don't stay in one size for too long. I picked up a bunch of clothing for $3.99 a piece at Goodwill last week. Most of it will end up being donated back.

It's hard to know what size we will be at goal. Do you know what your size is at 130? I haven't weighed my goal weight since I was in school - a long time ago! Sizing has changed so much, who knows where I will end up?

I will be cheering you on as you get closer to your new wardrobe! :-D
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Shmookitty wrote:I love cleaning out the closet to get rid of big clothes! I have been donating to Goodwill as soon as I have replacements in a smaller size. I've gone from a 3X to an XL and have gotten rid of a LOT.

I am now shopping exclusively at Kohl's sales and Goodwill until I reach my goal weight (62 pounds to go), since I don't stay in one size for too long. I picked up a bunch of clothing for $3.99 a piece at Goodwill last week. Most of it will end up being donated back.

It's hard to know what size we will be at goal. Do you know what your size is at 130? I haven't weighed my goal weight since I was in school - a long time ago! Sizing has changed so much, who knows where I will end up?

I will be cheering you on as you get closer to your new wardrobe! :-D

At 130 I'll be a 4-8 in pants and S. I do not have a large frame either. My stomach will always be what holds me back in a size, I am a very true rectangular shape. I got down to 125 about 8 years ago, but didn't stay there. I'm at my lowest weight since then. So when I gained it back, it was always higher than what I am now. It's nice to go into new territory again. I think that's one of the reasons I'm more "content" where I am and not trying as hard.

But I am older and have gone through menopause which before hadn't happened. There are definite differences in the elasticity of my skin for instance, stuff is just saggier. Hopefully it smoothes out nicely. I'm not too worried about perfection either.

I had popped in to post that I'm doing a good thing, eating before heading out. Just had 3 potatoes in the airfryer, which ketchup. Can't give up the ketchup with my fries. So now it will be easier to pick at my dinner tonight, enjoy some wine, and not feel stressed about eating the gala fare. Can I guess? A piece of chicken and some sort of piece of beef, mashed potatoes (all greasy like) with 2 skinny pieces of asparagus. The salad may or may not be eatible, depending on whether they dressed it first. Desserts always suck at these events. But the free flowing wine....my bad spot.

Time to get all dressed up and gorgeous.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 am

Whoa, not the best weekend of my life. The gala was fun, I looked nice and slim for a change. I said to my daughter it was nice not to be fat anymore at a dressy event, most people are,.

Here's a link to a photo of me with my daughter if you are nosy. I'm 56, 5'4", around 147-148, dress is a size 12 that I took in through the bust.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Jp_hFfHos1nlwGsLCBaArkDP9EgTAZwbfhikuu1O1oDLvQY6lIOG8Xyn6IS1n3e2iZA74mrAJflppdgMoXBL6x2v8wx9yfOGGVGKAvGaZ4zG2I3ssQ3V2TzOFXJ-VTDKsCLo0FSAbjRrSsQ9FOzFYfMvCXEiYRo6ynm8gQ11fO6U16qViYkEkF_StEeQwPp5vbReOKJdOsr2vxs_nvBoMaPG7t7piAZedOlee7RauihmOu7dU2vvzUfV9_K5JLFkVvVSayyPqptfSsBCQKjhkZsG1k4Zoc7QLo4JZ5aY0ZPTABkHturIgYxqy8jaN3YwritwZhOMOsG0IeN3UXs8fO0SLd_hWanjN3wjL-uDBD4XwwMuQ0XtEt9n6erdLidyz7xyy9T5Mp7c9EmhklWRhC_LgiVLoSObXnwzTVeBZAxUVVfp8xMllRe9FFtM9jZ9FpoRvmdSEEy11FLw80z5ojP0NlJskgbL-gaV5gV06N5u5IjDFiXmjkSTxBLZox5GC000xi8lx2NKN9pY_VPy6pLVU2M73PWVKXLZp4NikjSFFjjtjmI-zJYeiR1GXo3AD7U93CMn-GhRY0YM7Oaf5dLt-CRqc5LH7INme3ZwifmTZAquZjoFApYpsEz42LVY11mzEi11v9sn8LwKvBqJmoXBupTy8sFbz9HPBbQF5R_YC176qaya1tL0=w535-h888-no

I ate 3 potatoes before going, but that didn't actually help me as much as I would have liked. I drank two glasses of wine, with the "free drink tickets" before dinner, and I think that totally was the main problem. I have to set a limit on free flowing wine events.

There were bottles of wine on the table, and I had two more glasses. Major ouch, and though I felt fine a the event, I paid for it that night.

I ate the salad without any dressing, it was fine, but they already has the dessert on the table. I'm a sucker for sweets, and though I don't have any at home, right in front of me isn't safe...plus I had already had too much wine. I ate my dessert. Dinner came, and it was a few carrots, greasy but whatever. The potatoes were nasty, though everyone else liked them. I took a taste of the swordfish which I thought was nasty, so easy not to eat. But I took a taste of the beef, and it was super yummy and I ate it all.

I guess this is why I can't/won't call myself a vegan. Which I don't have much problem with yet, but I hope in my future it does become more of a mental issue for me.

That night I was sick. Obviously from the wine, not too difficult to see that. I was up around 1 am thirsty, and at the sink I was really faint and almost passed out. I've had issues with fainting before and I'm very aware of the sensation. I got back to bed. Then I was up 3 more times with diarhhea. Guess my body needed to get that poison out of me. It's amazing how smart our bodies are. I don't know if the beef attributed much, I almost don't think so.

I felt off all day yesterday, did take ibuprofen for a mild headache. Talked to my husband about the need for me to control alcohol in that free flowing situation like I said. I'm fine with one glass at a restaurant with friends, because I know I need to drive, but at a party like that, dang, it just happens, so I have to not even start.

Thanksgiving will be a test for that. We actually do Thanksgiving twice, once out with an extended family, always a fun event, then again with our immediate family at home a few days later, I won't even buy booze, others can bring their own if they care, they usually don't care.

Now that I sound like a total lush....we ate out yesterday at our favorite Indian buffet and seriously, I've had too many eating out opportunities. I have one on Wednesday and and Saturday again. Don't say not to go, that ain't happening, I will check menu and make my best selection.

Today starts a new week, I have my plan in set for today, and will go for it.

Plan for today:

Breakfast - oats cooked with a fresh pear, stevia
Lunch - salad, potatoes, vinegar
Snack - pomegranate
Dinner - vegetable/pasta soup, salad, I might bake a simple bread in the bread machine

Exercise - Weights-upper body, yoga class, spin bike 30 min (there's going to be a class at a good time for me on Thursdays so I'm training up a bit for it)
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 am

Laying in bed this morning I just felt so much slimmer. I run my hands on my hips and thighs and can feel muscles, my stomach felt tight, the amount of fat on the sides is so much smaller. So with confidence I step on the scale.

Crap, why did I do that. It was 150 even and put me in a bad mood. I always tell myself it's just a number, not to let it bug me, but today it bugs me.

Today is another day. Perhaps it's just water retention from the weekend (very likely, though I don't feel water retention.) I'm going to stay home today and work around the house (no gym) and will keep exercise gentle. Housework makes for a lot of busy activity though.

I'm going to cook a new grain today, sorghum. I have no clue what to expect and will put it in the instant pot in a bit.

I'm still pissed off, I had hoped to see a 146 this week on the scale, and it's going the wrong direction.

Plans for today:

Breakfast - sorghum, fruit
Lunch - salad and soup
Snack- pomegranate
Dinner - rice, stirfry veggies

Exercise - hula hoop, stretching, housework up and down stairs

Mental - get my head in a good place, balance checkbook (to gain control), work on tarot cards, reread MWL (which I keep forgetting to do)
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:19 am

I really need to work and focus on my compliance, which seems to not be happening lately. I see others have wonderful templates they follow, but I'm not sure the best way for me to do my own.

For now I will post what I ate yesterday, highlight what is not MWL (which occasionally is okay), my exercise, my daily weight, and any thoughts about the day before.

Compliance for Monday, 11/18/2019

Weight 11/19 - 150 (uh what?)

Breakfast - oats, pear, salt/stevia :D
Lunch - large salad, potatoes, vinegar, salt/pepper :D
Snack - pomegranate :D
Dinner - vegetable soup with white pasta, potatoes, beet salad, homemade bread :)
Snack - sunflower seeds :)

Exercise - 30 min spinbike CardioCoach 1 workout, 1 hour yoga class, 25 min upperbody weights, hulahoop practice :D :D :D :D

Thoughts for the day - :D will be for 100% MWL compliant meal, and a :) will be for SS meal. :-( will be for off plan. I'm not exactly sure yet. I just adore nuts and seeds and they make my body feel good, but I have to wait until I lose the weight. My bag of sunflower seeds will be sent to the cupboard in the basement for now, or I could trash them??? The white pasta and bread don't bother me too much, but they aren't MWL compliant, so I guess they should.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am

Good morning. I have a busy day ahead of me.

Yesterday's eating was quite good. I probably ate too much stirfry at night, having two servings, also two servings of the brown rice. There is still a lot of sodium in the homemade version, nothing like at a restaurant though.

I did watch a webinar with Brenda Davis yesterday, from the Lifestyle Medicine group, and it was about diabetes and insulin resistance. One thing I tried to veer away from since being on McDougall plan is checking my blood sugar. I do know I have a tendency towards a bit higher blood sugar and perhaps I'm a bit conflicted over whether or not I should be watching it. When I ran out of test strips I figured it was a good time to stop watching it so closely. I do have another meter with some strips still, which I always thought ran a bit wild, so I don't use them.

After my lunch yesterday of a large potato with my veggie soup on top (which was actually quite a starchy soup) my blood sugar was about 160, then later also still at 160. It took awhile before it dropped to 138, and at that point I forgot about it. Then I ate a bag of frozen cherries. Basically adding an extra large helping of sweet carbs right on top of a number that probably hadn't dropped yet.

I love the starches, but I do wonder if they are a bit too much for my diet. And I could eat more greens and definitely more legumes.

My plan is to go back and read a few of the diabetes based WFPB books, concentrate on adding more legumes in place of always starchy carbs. I could use sweet potatoes and winter squashes more often, potatoes are just so easy and I do love pasta.

So I think I will order more test strips and focus on this for a bit. I do well when I have something to focus on.

Plan for today:

Breakfast - oats with 1/4c white beans snuck in, blueberries

Lunch - going to On the Border with friends. I've already checked out the nutritional guide and my best options are a side of Black Beans, 3 corn tortillas, guacamole (perhaps), pico de galo, and I'll ask for some lettuce/tomatoes and make my own tacos

Dinner - not sure as my husband is home sick and we might have to change our plans based on how he's feeling.

Exercise - yoga, weights, hula hoop class tonight
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:42 am

Weight is down again into the 148's, so the weekend eating is fading away. I really should eat a bit lighter today, but I know I have a weird day ahead of me and will have to be careful.

After a busy and long morning at the gym (starting a new spin class) I will pick up my grandson to let his mom have some needed time alone with the new baby. So when he's at my house I need to make a healthy meal for myself, probably a salad with stuff.

And we are bringing dinner over to their house, probably just take out. Obviously I won't be eating that, and they shouldn't either, but I can't worry about other people. I think I'll make a double salad at lunch to save half for dinner. Good plan

Plan for today:'
Breakfast - oats, beans, pear
Lunch - salad, potatoes, beans of some sort
Dinner - salad, sorghum, beans of some sort
Exercise - spin class, functional fitness class, hooping practice
AnnetteW

Postby Ejeff » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Annette, you and I are almost the same age, I will turn 57 in January. I was just curious were you diagnosed with diabetes and this is why you check your blood sugars? I’ve been McDougalling for 5 years and I’ve never had blood sugar issues, other than with my last pregnancy 25 years ago I had a slight issue which they said could mean I might be predisposed to diabetes later in life, but to this point no issues.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:19 am

Ejeff wrote:Hi Annette, you and I are almost the same age, I will turn 57 in January. I was just curious were you diagnosed with diabetes and this is why you check your blood sugars? I’ve been McDougalling for 5 years and I’ve never had blood sugar issues, other than with my last pregnancy 25 years ago I had a slight issue which they said could mean I might be predisposed to diabetes later in life, but to this point no issues.

I've never been officially diagnosed, but it does run in my family. Type 1 definitely runs in my family on my dad's side, and even my DNA testing (which I know not to be too concerned about) shows I have a high risk. My father always had to watch his blood sugar and he's skinny, and now has Alzheimers. So yes, I worry.

I did do well with my numbers when I followed a low carb diet. I haven't been tracking now since I don't have strips, and I kind of didn't want to concern myself with it, but I think maybe I should.

Plan for today:
Breakfast - oats, garbanzo beans, pear, ground flax
Lunch - salad, black beans, sorghum
Snack - pomegranate perhaps
Dinner - brown rice, green thai curry (yes, it will have coconut milk in it
Exercise - yoga class, upper body weights, contemplating some cardio, hulahoop class tonight
AnnetteW

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 am

AnnetteW wrote:One thing I tried to veer away from since being on McDougall plan is checking my blood sugar. I do know I have a tendency towards a bit higher blood sugar and perhaps I'm a bit conflicted over whether or not I should be watching it.

I think this thread on checking blood sugar may be of value to you. As you will learn, our recommendation on frequency of checking is not just our recommendation, but that of most major health organizations.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=59097

There are lots of things we can focus on, each of which takes energy. Our goal is to help you see which ones deserve the most attention so you don’t waste your energy, efforts and time. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals