My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 pm

today's food:
Breakfast was 2 muffins made of oats, banana, quinoa and a little flax. I pull a couple out of the freezer when I have to eat on the go or if I will be gone a long time and worry that I will get too hungry. It has worked out well for me.
Lunch was a large salad with tomatoes, peppers, onion,bok choy a big spoonful of my hummus and balsamic vinegar....oh, some chic peas too. I also had a couple of smaller potatoes with a little cheez sauce on them
Dinner was cauliflower bisque , steamed brussel sprouts and a large Japanese sweet potato.

I am full now so that is it for the day !

All is well today. I think all the reports of this virus is making me more determined to eat healthfully. I am over 60 and, I guess , in that age group that needs to be extra vigilant as far as health is concerned.

I also walked two miles at the gym today. I avoided the weight machines and did my other exercises on a mat that I cleaned before and after I exercised. I know this is part of staying healthy so activity is in my plan. If it is warm enough, I will walk outside.

Stay healthy friends !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I have had several days of struggling. Not awful but just struggling.

Today it just occurred to me that I should just eat the right food according to McDougall Starch Solution and eat a good amount. Not worrying about losing weight. Just thinking about eating the foods that are right to feed me and not be hungry. Turning this around means feeling full and satisfied. I don't need anything fancy anymore; just good food and enough food.

Breakfast: Old fashioned oats and blueberries with a little almond milk
Lunch: Very large salad with balsamic vinegar as the dressing and also my homemade hummus plopped on top. I had a very large serving of mashed potatoes with Kale (SO good !) This is when I caught myself thinking that I should just have one scoop of potatoes and then thought "I will still be hungry after this and look for something more". I added another big scoop. It was just potatoes and Kale with some nutritional yeast and a little almond milk added for mixing......it was probably two potatoes worth.
Dinner: Split pea soup and brown rice and steamed broccoli/cauliflower
Snacks: a few fat free pretzels, one banana, one orange, maybe an apple after dinner. Again, I am not going to worry about how much I am eating.....just WHAT I am eating.

My goal is to feel good and get back to eating the foods that I love.

Exercise: a 3 mile walk. It was cold and windy but I bundled up and it was fine ! Feels good to get out of the house !

Stay healthy and happy !
-squealcat

PS: I just remembered that I also had a large sweet potato as a snack. I may eat less for dinner than I planned. If so, I will start with steamed veggies and then have the soup and maybe not the rice. Will see.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:04 pm

When reading some of Jeff Novick's posts, something just struck me. I changed my outlook a week ago. I am eating for health. I am eating things I enjoy. I am not eating to lose weight but just nourish me . I am also enjoying life now (even as I am staying at a distance from others during this time) and enjoying doing things that I like to do.

Things have become simplified and that is good for me. I take walks outside, do yardwork, watch the birds, I do not think about what I weigh every day or think about any great meal plans. I cook simple individual foods and put them together to my liking. I have felt like the pressure is off and that feels good.

I work at it a bit because after years of thinking all the time about losing weight, my mind tries to drift in that same direction but I have been able to then think "no, you are not trying to lose weight anymore, you are eating healthy, simple, whole foods and if you happen to lose weight, then good for you !"

That is all. No big plans. I was just sick of all my weight loss thoughts....and I choose to not think that way anymore.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 am

squealcat wrote:When reading some of Jeff Novick's posts, something just struck me. I changed my outlook a week ago. I was just sick of all my weight loss thoughts....and I choose to not think that way anymore.

-squealcat

YES, I love this shift in outlook. That happened to me too after a few months doing MWL. I think we begin to trust that it works, and it does work. I made big progress once I added some salad greens before every meal. Of course I am out now; next trip I venture out to the store must remember to get more. Simple foods work best for me. Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:21 am

I agree with you Marsha. After a long time trying and trying again to eat the McDougall way I am finally feeling confident that this is the best way for me (it works !). I think I was always looking around for something faster or healthier or....?? I was always looking at my calendar and counting the weeks to figure out what I will weigh in _________ weeks.

My attitude now is "I don't care any more how long it takes" I just want to live my life healthfully while eating food that is good for me and tastes good. I just want to weigh what I naturally weigh eating healthy foods without any processing. My body knows how to heal itself and get to the weight it is supposed to be if I just feed it right.

What is in my fridge that I will probably have today:
Steel cut oats and blueberries (already consumed)
Large salad with kale, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, banana peppers and balsamic dressing with some plops of my homemade hummus on top. The rest of my pea soup and maybe a sweet potato
Lentils that I cooked yesterday on rice ( if I take it out of the freezer ) and more potatoes and steamed veggies

Have a good day and stay healthy !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 pm

The President just announced social distancing etc through April. I am OK with that and expected it but hearing it made me sad. I am tired of worrying about toilet paper and other things at the store that seem to be disappearing. I miss seeing my family and friends. I have been texting and calling people more and have been out for walks to help me feel better.

Yesterday I slipped up a bit. I am wondering if it all started with the salad dressing I had at lunch time. It really was not compliant and contained oil and sugar but was "Lite". I observed myself thinking about sweets after lunch and then had bread, a few dates, peanut butter......nothing too crazy but way more than I needed. I should have said a prayer then calmed down and eaten a potato or two with my hummus. That has worked very well but yesterday, for some reason, I just didn't do that.

Today i am fine ! Spent my time making cards, watched the Catholic mass on TV, prayed, read a few articles in magazines, read part of a book, planned my week, texted my daughter.

My grandson is finally coming home from the NICU Wednesday ! My daughter and her family are very excited. Felix is 5 months old. It will be more work for them but I am happy for them. I will help out, of course, but don't know what that will look like with this virus and distancing thing going on.

Today was oatmeal, blueberries, large salad with balsamic vinegar (no sugary dressing) , bean and rice soup, lentils, rice, cauliflower and grapefruit. All good !

Have a great week and do what is healthy for you and the ones you love !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun May 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Ok, I see that my journal has now made it to the second page....so time to reestablish it again !

A struggle it has been and a little gain in weight. I had to listen to some talks from all those great plant-based speakers and get motivated again. About two weeks ago I decided to begin a couple of "streaks". I decided to walk every day, mostly 3 mile days but sometimes shorter to give my legs a rest. I was walking 5 days a week but wanted to see if I could do a little more without pushing myself so much that I would quit. I enjoy walking and have found that it connects me a bit to the beautiful world I live in and reduces stress.

Second streak is to journal what I eat each day. Now, besides following McDougall, I also attend WW meetings for support and their purple plan is exactly what I eat each day (of course, I don't eat dairy or meat or oil but it is not required by WW to do so ). I have been journaling on the WW app and have not missed a day. Well, now I am thinking "why not journal on Dr McDougall's forum?" I really like the MWL group on this forum as it is so supportive ..... so why not? I have been so sporadic here so maybe I need to quick jump on and type in what I eat each day. It doesn't take long !

"Showing up" is important to success so that is what I want to do. See you tomorrow !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am

Yesterday was Dave's and my 46th anniversary. Our house was quiet, as usual but we exchanged anniversary cards and kisses. In the afternoon we took a drive to Lake Michigan to see the water, the beach and what was happening in the outside world. Beautiful day.

Yesterday was Oats, blueberries, a splash of almond milk. Next was a large salad with my no fat hummus and balsamic vinegar. I had a large potato with more hummus after the salad. For dinner we ordered Panera. Now I know it certainly isn't MWL but decided to do it anyway. I will not tempt anyone with the description of what I ordered but needless to say this morning I weighed more than 2 pounds more than the day before. Salt, salt, salt.....

Today I will drink water, water, water and follow MWL. Will be interesting to see how many days it will take to get back to what I was before.....one? two? three? Will see !

Planning on a success day with lots of good food ! Went grocery shopping this morning at 7AM. Greens, peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, apples, oranges, bananas......all good !

Have a good day !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 am

This morning: Old fashioned oats, blueberries, splash of almond milk. That was at 8:30 and it is now 11:40 and not hungry.

I took a 1 1/2 mile walk after breakfast. That is less than my normal but I allow myself a couple of light days as my legs get tired after 3 days of longer mileage. I am trying to do daily walks and have done so for over a month now. Will not beat myself up if I miss a day for whatever reason but then will start a walking "streak" once again. I have to get better at stretching. Those stiff legs would appreciate it .

I have journaled someplace (not always here) every day this week. It hasn't resulted in weight loss since WHAT I have eaten was not the best as far as choices. This week I am working on that WHAT.

Hope you are enjoying the sunshine this morning ! Hope you HAVE sunshine :-D

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 am

My steel cut oats are cooking in my instant pot. I will have that with a mango, cinnamon and cardamon (my favorite combination).

Planning on taking a 3 mile walk today. Sun is out !! Have to take advantage of that sunshine here in Michigan !

I have a problem with eczema and also very itchy, flaky skin on my scalp which is worse in winter. The sun seems to help with that. I wish this way of eating would too but that has not been the case with me.

Today I just want to get through the afternoon eating MWL foods. I track all I eat, walk each day and now I will enjoy a MWL afternoon. There are other things I want to add to the list but have to work on what is keeping me from the success I want. I WANT to act like and become a person that follows a MWL way of living. There is a quote I wrote down that I have to share but it is not here right now. Later. It inspires me to just go ahead and become this person.

Enjoy whatever weather you have were you are ! Become that person you strive to become and make the changes needed to get there. One step at a time. Be patient.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu May 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Lunch today: potatoes, black beans, MWL-friendly cheeze sauce, Lg. salad, my FF hummus, balsamic vinegar
Dinner: 1/2 of a large sweet potato, cauliflower, veg. soup

I made it through the afternoon without any urgency for rich treats. YAY ! :nod:

Today I met my three goals which were taking a walk, tracking what I ate and getting through the afternoon !

Also cleaned out another shelf in a storage closet, cleaned a bathroom and helped my youngest son pack up and move out of our house. He moved back in about 1 1/2 years ago and really has been just fine to live with. He is excited to be off on his own again and I am happy for him. Glad also that he has a job and has been able to work through all this stuff that is going on.

Enjoy your evening ! I am !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri May 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Breakfast: Oats, banana, splash of almond milk
Lunch: Large salad topped with my hummus and balsamic vinegar then 1/2 of a sweet potato, brown rice, mushrooms/onions/carrot
Dinner: vegetable soup, steamed cauliflower, potatoes with MWL-friendly cheeze sauce
also a Cara Cara orange (so delicious !)

Met my goals today !! Walked 3 miles, tracked all my food and enjoyed my afternoon without munching mindlessly. YAY! :lol:

Sunny day but oh so cold !!! Glad I went outside anyway. Cooked up some brown rice today. That was all the cooking I did. I make a lot of separate foods and put them together and microwave them. I also always have greens and chopped up raw veggies in the fridge (my salad bar). These really are keys to success. As long as I am stocked with these and have some cooked beans and some soup I am good.

Thinking about my children today hoping they are surviving and doing well. I made cards for Mother's day and mailed them out yesterday to my daughter and daughter-in-laws and my sister. They should get them tomorrow. I have used more stamps the last month.....trying to connect with friends and family.

Have a good night !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat May 09, 2020 12:42 pm

Breakfast: Steel cut oats, banana, splash of almond milk
Lunch: Large salad with greens and kale and other crunchy vegetables, my hummus, balsamic vinegar and after that I had white potatoes, a Japanese sweet potato and broccoli covered with MWL friendly cheeze sauce (it is good but doesn't really taste like cheese)
Dinner: TBD

Took a 3 mile walk today in the sunshine and really cold air (Spring polar vortex , they say !) I did my stretches today (getting better at doing those). I am part-way making it through the afternoon without eating things I really don't want to eat. I am not hungry ! My other goal is to track all I eat and I am part-way done with that.

Drinking a cup of herbal tea now and typing this. I read somewhere that at the end of a meal it is good to develop a habit of having a cup of tea to mark the end of the meal. Been trying to remember to do that and it seems to help .

Since my youngest son moved out a couple of days ago, I have been laundering things from the room he has slept in the past year and a half. He had a dog that could be pretty smelly and I am working on getting the smell out of that room. Washing the pillows today. Mattress pad tomorrow , baking soda to the carpet and vacuuming next week. I will call Stanley Steemer eventually but my husband doesn't want others in our house until the stay at home order is lifted so we wait.

Today is a calm and good day !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun May 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Happy Mother's Day to anyone who is reading this who is a mother or is taking place of a mother !

I am feeling a bit sad today and a bit lonely. A quiet Mother's day for me. My husband gave me a beautiful card and that was so nice. I also heard from most of my kids as well. I am looking forward to 3PM when my son is setting up a video chat. Knowing that I will see them makes me incredibly happy but knowing that I cannot hug them and have them near makes me a little sad. Oh well ! I think it will be fun and will be a good break in my day.

I have gone on a walk today already (before the rain) and have tracked all I have eaten. My breakfast was the usual oatmeal and fruit and then I found myself very hungry all of a sudden. I started rummaging through cupboards and the fridge (like my old self) and came up with and ate a few items I should not have. I am proud that I stopped before I started in on the bread etc. Mostly I had raw veggies and potatoes but then a couple of things I really didn't want to include in my day. I was able to stop when I realized it was noon. If I had known that I would have had lunch ! I am trying to avoid crazy eating in the afternoon and that is still my goal. I stopped at noon !

Don't worry, if I am hungry this afternoon I will have my big salad and potatoes or rice if I need to. It is dangerous to get too hungry !

As I type this I am trying to avoid messing up my "survive the afternoon" goal. I like to draw that little star on my calendar when I DO survive!

I admit that we are ordering out for dinner but I have already chosen what I will have and will fix up the salad with some chick peas and take out what I don't want. I have a plan and have it written down.

Have a good day everyone !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon May 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Breakfast: I cooked up a mix on quinoa and steel cut oats in the instant pot. Delicious !! I made a big batch of this! Also had blueberries and a splash of almond milk
Lunch: brussel sprouts and chick peas and potatoes with my MWL cheeze sauce
Dinner: TBD but I will start with a large salad.

I realized that I did not start with soup at lunch time so I have a veg soup in the crockpot right now. I also made mashed potatoes today as well so maybe that is what I will have for dinner.

Exercise: walked 3 miles today. I keep wanting to start a series of squats each day but keep on forgetting :duh:

My son got his siblings together yesterday for a video chat session. How wonderful to see all those smiling faces ! Cheered me up for sure! However, my youngest son was not there (sleeping because he works the night shift) and my daughter fell asleep too and wasn't there (her husband gave her a free day and she decided to stay in bed and read and shop and nap (dangerous!) I think she left the room to have a brunch that he put together. ;-) Was still so nice of those three sons of mine to meet up with my husband and myself yesterday.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day. I actually look forward to getting out on Tuesdays. I need to stock up on veggies for sure. I have my fridge salad bar to keep up ! I think I will get baby bok choy this week and maybe zucchini along with the usual. Thursday I will go to Harvest Health store to get Japanese sweet potatoes and a few other things.

That is all. So far I have tracked my food, walked outside, survived the afternoon . A win, win, win ! :-D

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals