Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Thank you, Idgie!! You are right. I really need to stay focused on the positive and 8 days of almost perfect compliance is better than I've done in a while. I finally exercised some this morning which really helped with my attitude. I've been struggling with feeling down. I hesitate using the word "depressed" because I don't think it is serious clinical depression, but I can sure have a negative, anxious outlook on everything in my life. When I feel that way, it's hard to imagine that it is a frame of mind and in reality I have a good life and friends who care about me. So glad exercise can bring me back to a positive place. :)
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Yesterday was Day 8 of 24 days (to end Dec 31) of 98% MWL compliance. I'm feeling good. I've started exercising again. Important component to my well-being!! I weighed again this morning. Down to 174 lbs. I really needed the break from weighing when I was out of control. I think there's a fine line between weight monitoring as positive feedback and it becoming a hindrance - negative, self-defeating, energy zapping thing. I'm glad I took a couple of weeks to focus on the process rather than the outcome. Now that I'm firmly in the process once again, I can use weight monitoring as a motivator and indicator of the plan working.

I watched the latest webinar with Dr. McD and Dr. Barnard. Very good and informative on the recent research related to diet and health. I've already shared it with a friend. :)

Interesting circumstance for me last night. It was getting late, time for bed, and I started to crave snacks. I really wanted to break my soymilk and cereal habit. I had consumed less calories yesterday and I was a little concerned that I would wake up during the night and want to eat. I decided to eat some soup that had lots of green leafy veggies (collards). I went to bed. I woke up about 4:00 due to my lovely dog wanting to go out and bark at ghosts. It took me a while to get back to sleep. I had no desire to eat. I woke again at 5ish. Still no desire to eat. I think the studies indicating green leafy vegetables may work toward appetite suppression are correct - at least for me.

Intentions for Eating, Exercise, and Sitting Meditation today:
B:
L:
D: rice, veggies, and soup
Snacks: apples
Planned Exercise: WaterRower
Sitting Meditation

Actual Eats and Exercise and Meditation:
B: not hungry for breakfast
L: awesome simple sauté of sprouted lentils, onion, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, millet, and rice YUM!
D: Chinese dinner out. Argh! I got veggies and rice, also had veggie eggroll - ugh!
Snacks: Actual Exercise: 30 min. on WaterRower
Sitting Meditation:
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm not at Day 9 yet. Two days of not getting there. Yesterday it was Chinese. Today it was a veggie sandwich at Firestation Subs or something like that. I had several unplanned events which led to me needing to eat in a hurry in an area where I can't ever find a place that has food I want to eat. Why does it have to be so hard to eat MWL when out? There wasn't even a Wendy's around... Sometimes I'm working in this really small town... Anyway, I get my sandwich. I said everything veggie, please. I started eating it and found out it had cheese on it. How does everything veggie get to have cheese included?!? I didn't have time to send it back. I ate it. There really wasn't that much cheese and half of it had melted and fallen off. The rest was too stuck to get it off. What a crazy day! No exercise, either. Tomorrow will get to be Day 9 of 24.
Eating Adventures today:
B: oatmeal w/ apple
L: veggie sub
D: rice, beans, and salsa
evening snack: cereal, soymilk, and blueberries
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

moonlight wrote:

Interesting circumstance for me last night. It was getting late, time for bed, and I started to crave snacks. I really wanted to break my soymilk and cereal habit. I had consumed less calories yesterday and I was a little concerned that I would wake up during the night and want to eat. I decided to eat some soup that had lots of green leafy veggies (collards). I went to bed. I woke up about 4:00 due to my lovely dog wanting to go out and bark at ghosts. It took me a while to get back to sleep. I had no desire to eat. I woke again at 5ish. Still no desire to eat. I think the studies indicating green leafy vegetables may work toward appetite suppression are correct - at least for me.

This is awesome! I'm happy for you, that the nighttime eating seems to be going away. Yay for greens!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:04 am

Wow, last few days have been brutal as far as dieting is concerned. I've got a plan in place for today. Finally have some time and energy to batch cook. I didn't have satisfying meals which just led to craving and snacking. Also, due to some dermatology work I've been hesitant to row. I plan to try it today.

I remember last Thursday making a very good decision. Yay! I needed to remember something positive! I had to stay in town all day waiting while my dog had surgery. I didn't have any food to take with me and around lunch I started craving all kinds of things to eat but really not wanting to go off the MWL diet plan. I finally made the decision to go to McAllister's and have a potato with steamed veggies, w/o the cheese sauce. I was so happy with myself! And, it was a really good meal. I think I also had a compliant dinner that day. Friday afternoon I started making bad choices, which lasted through yesterday... I need to remember to go grocery shopping and remember to stay hydrated!!

L: cabbage soup and some kind of starch
D:
Snacks:
Sitting Meditation

L: collard and white bean soup and cute purple potatoes
D: Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew w/ brown rice, from Flavor! cookbook. Very good!
Snacks: soymilk, ww cereal, and banana; corn; 1 slice rye bread :\
Actual Exercise: shampooed carpet today
Sitting Meditation:
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:41 pm

This morning I made the Cabbage "Noodle" soup from the fat free vegan kitchen. I had plans to make it exactly like the recipe but I ended up making a couple of tweaks. First, I used black bean liquid from a previous batch of beans cooked in the crock pot. I used about 4 cups of bean liquid and 4 cups water. I also added some kale. I didn't add any chickpeas. It was very good! I like the spices - thyme, poultry seasoning, sage, and bay leaves.

B: Cabbage "Noodle" soup w/ rice
L: Cabbage "Noodle" soup and baked sweet potato
D: some kind of casserole?
Snacks:
Sitting Meditation

B: Cabbage "Noodle" soup w/ rice
L: purple potatoes and coleslaw
D: potato and Ethiopian Lentil stew
Snacks: sweet potatoes, blk beans, salsa, and jalapenos; soymilk, banana, blueberries, and ww cereal
Actual Exercise: walk w/ dog
Sitting Meditation:

I seemed to be hungry a lot today. I'm afraid some of my eating was a craving for something,,, I kept to MWL food - except for the soymilk and ww cereal.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Eating, Exercise, and Sitting Meditation today:
B: couscous w/ nutritional yeast and spices
L: potato, salsa, blk beans, veggie soup w/ couscous
D: potatoes and broccoli
Snacks: :mad: very bad! I've been slowly eating through this huge bag of individually packaged chips that I bought for some kids I work with... Also eating the chocolate covered raisins I bought for a special treat when hiking...
Actual Exercise: does housecleaning count? I'm sure tired :shock:
Sitting Meditation:
Last edited by moonlight on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:07 am

moonlight wrote:Eating, Exercise, and Sitting Meditation today:
B: couscous w/ nutritional yeast and spices
L: potato, salsa, blk beans, veggie soup w/ couscous
D:
Snacks:
Actual Exercise: does housecleaning count? I'm sure tired :shock:
Sitting Meditation:

Yes, housecleaning counts! woot you're a BEAST!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 am

I feel that it is time to get back on a regular routine which includes rowing!! I plan to row while I watch Dr McD's interview with Dr. Esselstyn.

I've watched Jeff Novick's lecture on calorie density again. I wonder how many times I need to watch this lecture to 'get it'. I learn something new each time, or I become more aware of certain points more each time I watch it. Time well spent! Dr McD's webinar was hard to watch. I bailed after about 15 min. It was a great interview but, for me, the signal was not good. I'm hoping it was my internet connection. I plan to try out the recorded version once it is posted.

B: couscous
L: potatoes, salsa, greens
D: Ethiopian Lentil stew, rice, greens, coleslaw
Snacks: NOT chips :D
Sitting Meditation

B: couscous w/ sautéed kale, onions, garlic, and mushrooms YUM!
L: cabbage soup, potatoes, salsa, blk beans
D: Ethiopian Lentil stew and couscous
Snacks: chips, again, but now they are all gone :\
Actual Exercise: 40 min rower
Sitting Meditation:
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:03 am

I was afraid the junk food I ate yesterday would influence me to eat during the night but it didn't. I woke up a couple of times but never wanted to eat. I love it! I've been 90% MWL compliant 10 out of 20 days from when I started counting. So, glass half empty or half full? I'm tempted to go with half empty but I will focus on the half full concept. :D (If I keep compliant through Dec 31 then the count will be 14 out of 24 which will truly be tipping toward half full!)
After watching JeffN's calorie density lecture yesterday, I'm planning to be more diligent about having a 1st course serving of salad or veggie soup before my L and D meals. I'm also going to prepare raw veggies for snacking. I haven't done that in a long time. I laughed when he shared the comment he hears a lot, and which I have thought a lot, about craving something crunchy and salty, and how celery really does fit that description. So true! I didn't really enjoy the taste of the chips yesterday. I did enjoy the crunch.

B: couscous, mushrooms, onion, kale sautéed
L: cabbage soup, sweet potato w/ spicy greens
D: broccoli chowder soup, Ethiopian lentil stew, coleslaw
Snacks: celery and carrots
Sitting Meditation

B: couscous, mushrooms, carrot, dried red hot pepper, onion, kale sautéed
L: small cooked potatoes that I made for the car. Perfect car food!
D: :mad: totally not McD compliant dinner out w/ SO. His birthday celebration...
Snacks:
Actual Exercise: 30 min rower
Sitting Meditation: :nod:
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Yesterday evening I fell off the wagon... Dinner out to celebrate my SO's birthday. I had picked an entrée that could have been McD friendly but at the last minute with SO's encouragement to get two entrees he really wanted to try... I succumbed to his request (since it was his birthday?!?!, argh..). I've noticed other people's comments on this forum about eating off plan food and it not really being satisfying anymore. I had the same experience last night. I ended up only eating a portion of the dinner, enough to not look disappointed with our evening birthday celebration. Very interesting experience... Next time I'll have some talking points in mind for making better choices while still celebrating and hopefully making a happy atmosphere for my SO. Why is it that others think we must "share" in the eating to keep the celebratory spirit?

B: oatmeal
L: cabbage soup, sweet potato and spicy greens
D: sweet potato and spicy greens
Snacks: carrots and celery
Sitting Meditation

B: oatmeal w/ banana and cinnamon
L: rice, Ethiopian lentil stew, and cabbage soup
D: potato baked fries, rice, blk beans, and salsa
Snacks: soymilk, cereal, and blueberries; couscous
Actual Exercise: 30 min rowing
Sitting Meditation:

So today is Day 11 of the 24 days I'm counting for MWL compliance. Just two days left to count. I hope I hit at least 12 of 24 days..
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 pm

When I reflect on the last few weeks, what stands out for me is the increase in exercise. I'm very pleased with my steady desire to row at least 30 minutes each day. Counting how many days I can stay on plan is shocking. I feel like I'm compliant much more than I actually am. Today is 12 Days out of 23 days. Tomorrow will be the last day I'm counting so hopefully I'll get a MWL day in and be at least half the time eating MWL compliant meals.

B: oatmeal w/ banana
L: potato, blk beans, salsa
D: broccoli soup, Ethiopian stew, and rice
Snacks: carrots and celery
Sitting Meditation

B: oatmeal w/ mango and cinnamon
L: broccoli chowder and Ethiopian stew w/ rice
D: blk beans, bulgur, sautéed kale, carrots, mushrooms, spaghetti squash
Snacks: WW pita bread
Actual Exercise:
Sitting Meditation:

**Edited Monday morning: I'm not sure what happened last night but I had a night of waking up and eating,,, argh! The things I can think of that might have caused this were 1) I didn't exercise all day, 2) I drank more coffee than usual, and 3) I took a late afternoon nap. Looking at my menu of what I ate, it should have been enough food, appropriate food. During the night I ate bagel chips and pasta salad my husband made which had olive oil and feta cheese in it. I woke up 4 times, ate 4 different times. I only ate a serving size each time instead of a total binge. Two bowls of cereal, bagel chips, and pasta salad... I also slept until 11:00!
Last edited by moonlight on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:35 am

Today is Getting Back on the Wagon Day! My plan is to not eat until I'm hungry, given that I ate quite a bit during the night. I plan to exercise on my rower AND get outside for a walk. I will also make sure the fridge is stocked with soup, prepped raw veggies, and an entrée. Whew!!
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Doing a little math I realized I lost "only" 20 lbs in 2018. I lost 13 lbs from October to December in 2017. A total of 33 lbs. gone. I wish I had lost more in 2018. I lost most of that in the first part of the year. I need to be stricter than I was in the beginning since I'm not burning as many calories each day. Today I stayed MWL compliant until dinner. I ate out at a Mexican restaurant and had some kind of dairy mixed in the spinach enchiladas. I also had a few chips. Hopefully I won't eat out again for a few weeks, or if I do, I'll make sure I find a place that is MWL compliant.

I worked in my garden today. That's all the exercise I got but I worked for a couple of hours hoeing and clearing brush, so I think that is pretty good.

My intention is to learn to be more active and learn to eat healthier by developing some new habits through repetition and consistency. Since I like counting with regard to my diet, I think I'll count how many days out of each month that I'm MWL compliant (exercise and MWL plan). January has 31 days. Today will have to be 0 of 31!! I can only go up from there, right!?!
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:34 am

My focus is on responsibility for my actions. Consistency and repetition of new habits: row every morning and say No Choice to anything that is not on MWL plan. Plan ahead, have food with me at all times to eat. Be willing to say no to certain restaurants because no MWL compliant options exist. At home plan to have salad or soup before entrée.

So, accomplishments so far today: ask a friend if we can switch restaurants for our dinner together tonight. She agreed. :D

I've been working on 14 days of sample menu ideas, similar to the one offered by Mary McD in the MWL cookbook. Mine is tailored to my likes. I felt like having a written plan would help me when I'm at a loss about what to eat. I often get in a mood of thinking nothing 'sounds' appetizing. The written plan has my favorite foods in it. I've made a realistic 7-day plan using the menus. There's lots of repetition but that's how I usually eat, once I make a recipe.

A 7-day MWL plan!!
Intentions for Eating, Exercise, and Sitting Meditation for 7 days:
Day 1
1 0f 31 days MWL compliant!
B: oatmeal with fruit
L: broccoli chowder, Ethiopian stew and baby potatoes
D: McAlister's: baked potato and steamed veggies
Snacks: carrots and celery and apple or orange and baby potatoes
Sitting Meditation

B: :thumbsup:
L:Ethiopian stew and brown rice (quick cook in-the-bag< very good!)
D: potato, grilled mushrooms, steamed broccoli
Snacks: broccoli chowder, corn, and garbanzo beans
Actual Exercise: :thumbsup: 30 min
Sitting Meditation: :thumbsup:
I successfully ate in a restaurant and stayed MWL compliant :D . I like having a week of planned meals!

Day 2
B:oatmeal with fruit
L: Oriental salad (MWL cookbook), sweet potato and spicy greens
D: broccoli chowder, veggie/bean meatless loaf, mashed potatoes
Snacks: carrots and celery and apple or orange and baby potatoes
Sitting Meditation

B:
L:
D:
Snacks: