Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby sirdle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:46 am

Hooray! Well done! :mrgreen:

One step at a time.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:02 am

Me too...I just have to focus on the foods.

I keep telling myself it will get easier with time. And I know it will.

I love when I see people post on Facebook, a lovely slim photo, and then they say they've been eating this way for 7 years. Seven years seems like such a long time, but then I realize it won't even be a second thought...it just will be. So no matter how much I long to be slim, if I were there now...I'd be cheating and getting fat again. I have to earn my weight loss and my health.

Keep it up, I'm right there with you.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:02 am

Thanks, Sirdle and Annette. I made it another day only eating compliant MWL food. I didn't eat enough vegetables yesterday, though.

I'm with you, Annette, on reading about people who have been following the diet for many years. I am hoping that by the time I reach my goal weight I will have learned and developed habits that don't include so many relapses. Also, I think with control, at goal weight a few more foods can be added - guilt free. A little bread, a few nuts. The regular McD diet is a little easier to follow. I'm fired up to continue losing right now. Hopefully it will last for a while.

Finally getting the exercise going again has helped my mood tremendously. My self-esteem has improved which gives me the motivation to work hard at staying compliant.

Sirdle, I've really reduced my criteria for green smiley faces. There are only two: eat MWL compliant food and exercise. If I get those two things in, it feels like a huge accomplishment right now. :mrgreen:

September :D :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Today's Food Intake
apple
brown rice and garbanzo beans
homemade chili
Red potatoes and broccoli
Watermelon
Last edited by moonlight on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:55 am

moonlight wrote:Sirdle, I've really reduced my criteria for green smiley faces. There are only two: eat MWL compliant food and exercise. If I get those two things in, if feels like a huge accomplishment right now. :mrgreen:

I think that's an excellent idea!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:01 am

It gets easier to stay away from meat and dairy. Fats have been a toughie for me, and I'm 10 years into it as of 9/7/2019. Lost a lot; kept if off for years, gained it back.

But you're smart to keep your goals simple. MWL and exercise FTW! YOU GO GIRL!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks, Buns. I realized the other day that I've lost 2 or 3 times the amount of weight I'm down. I keep gaining 2-3 lbs then losing it. I think I've repeated this cycle for at least a year! While it is good I haven't gone off the diet and gained back 30 lbs., I am tired of failing over and over. I hope my new strategy to just keep it very simple will get me inspired again. Today I wanted to go off the diet and eat while I was in town. I thought about stopping for sushi and Mexican food. I made it home without giving in! I'm eating my homemade chili. :) I'm just going to consider my days as successful if I just keep my eating limited to food allowed on the MWL program. If I overeat, fine. If I only eat potatoes, fine. I think all the other good habits will come in time if I keep to this very simple plan. Keep my expectations very low. At this stage of my attempts to reduce weight and have a much healthier diet, it will feel huge if I can accomplish those two things.

You inspire me with your workout schedule. I keep thinking that one day I will be so inspired. Thank you for sharing. :D
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Is sushi going off the diet? You can easily have vegan sushi...I guess it's the soy sauce that can be an issue, but that can be controlled. Mexican food is a bit more difficult, not doubt about that.

Glad you stuck to your guns and didn't eat out.

But guess what we're having for dinner tomorrow....sushi!!! I'm so excited that I can now make my own, and it's marvelous!
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Yes, you are right, sushi would be a good option while out. The grocery store I was at didn’t have any. I was afraid if I stopped at a restaurant, I’d get more than sushi. I was thinking about a vegetable curry... That’s great you learned to make your own. I used to make it a lot. It’s good to take to pot lucks. I’ve gotten rather lazy on food prep.... :-D
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:40 pm

September :D :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Yesterday my food was all MWL compliant. It was a struggle but I made it. Today driving around I kept wanted to stop and eat Mexican food. Hopefully, soon the cravings will stop. I have cold symptoms. I'm not sure if it is allergy or an actual cold. I took allergy medicine and I'm hoping it subsides soon. I haven't felt up to exercise today and yesterday I simply forgot. I had planned to row in the early evening. I remembered about 9:30. Too late for exercise...

Today's Food Intake
steel cut oats
red potatoes and salad
stir-fried veggies and bulgur (with homemade tomato sauce :) )
blueberries
bulgur with a small amount of hot pepper jelly
corn
Last edited by moonlight on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Yesterday I reported a 3 lb. gain in the Weigh-In thread. Today I'm down 2 lbs. That's a relief. It was mostly sodium, I guess. Hopefully, I'll continue with my momentum to stay on MWL food. :)
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 pm

September :D :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :oops: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

So, I broke my MWL streak tonight. I had dinner out and ate a non-compliant meal and had a beer. I’m not anxious about it. I’ll be back on the program tomorrow.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 am

September :D :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :oops: :D 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Yesterday I managed to stay on plan. I made a big pot of vegetable soup and a big batch of bulgur. I also have red potatoes cooked and some celery and carrots prepped. I've had a cold for the last couple of days so I haven't felt like exercising. Hopefully, today I'll start feeling better.
Last edited by moonlight on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:57 am

Sorry you've had a cold. You definitely thought it was coming on prior.

Take care of yourself...drink lots of water and tea and eat a tad less. Hope you feel better soon.

If I have a sore throat I tend to eat more to sooth it and myself. Bad move always.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:14 am

September :D :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :oops: :D :D 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Thanks, Annette. I'm tired of feeling sick. Funny what you said about eating more to soothe yourself when sick. I tend to do that when I feel bad, mostly when I have a stomach ache or I'm tired or when I can't sleep or when I'm nervous... Ha! I could go on. Fortunately, I'm taking a decongestant that makes me lose my appetite. I'm very thirsty so I'm drinking a lot.

I feel like I didn't have much of a break from nursing my body after my surgery to getting this cold. I'm ready to get back to a regular exercise routine!

My eating is much better and MWL compliant - unless I eat in a restaurant. It feels good to have food prepped. I need to get in the habit of keeping a soup, a starch, and raw veggies prepped. Yesterday I made Grandpa's meatless loaf. It is very good. I hesitated making it because I tend to want to eat 2 servings at a time. My husband actually had it for dinner so it won't last too many more meals.
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 am

Where does one find that meatless loaf recipe? I've seen a few and it sounds great with mashed potatoes and gravy. I need to be prepared.

You are right about not needing a cold so soon after surgery, which is probably exactly why you did get it...your defenses are a bit out of whack right now.
AnnetteW

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals