Going for it

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Going for it

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:34 am

Another week! Where's the time going? :shock:
My weight stayed the same but I lost an inch off my waist, so it's still good.
I had a nice skirt I bought before I started on this WOE, but it was too tight to be comfortable and made unsightly bulges at the waist band. I came across it this week - and it was too loose!
I had to move the button. Not complaining. That's a pretty good problem to have when you still have about 50lbs to lose. :D
Pretty busy now until after Christmas but my planning and cooking skills are getting better all the time so let's see how it goes. :-D
Funny (peculiar) the effects of stress. For the first time in ages I found myself bingeing in the sense of eating well past the point of fullness. Not non-compliant food, but definitely excess food when I didn't need it. Looks like I need to try and work out why I do that and what hunger it is I am trying to fill with food. :oops:
I usually treat myself to a new dress for the festive season and I'm very pleased that this year I'll be shopping for a dress at least 2 sizes smaller than last year. Woohoo! :lol:
Thanks for all your comments, it's very encouraging! :) :) :)
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby judynew » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 am

Hi, Rhubarbtriangle

Great progress you are making! How lovely it is to find "new" clothes to wear right in your closet.

I think I forgot to tell you that I tried your pease pudding recipe and really liked it. My husband liked it too, which is a bonus. Next time I'll try the pickle juice, just for fun, but it will definitely be part of my regular rotation from now on.

This is our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so we are already in dangerous eating territory. Just have to choose carefully.
judynew

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Judynew I'm glad you like the pease pudding. :D
So far, I'm having a better week. Still busy, though.
My friend gave me some little squashes and half a small pumpkin so I have baked them then puréed the flesh with nutritional yeast and seasonings to make a sauce for pasta. I had some for dinner and it was great. Just as well since I have two portions in the fridge for tomorrow and Saturday. I have soup made for 2 or 3 days of lunches and breakfast is oats and fruit. That should mean that I can get past the weekend without incident. Monday is my usual batch cooking day. :-D
Saturday is a 'bring to share' lunch at the Chapel in Wakefield where I am giving a presentation on "community building". I'm going to make baked onion bhajis with dipping sauce. Quick, easy, and I love them. I know someone else is bringing salad with dressing separately (for my benefit!) so I will be fine for lunch. :wink:
It's getting cold here now, about 8c (46f) in the daytime so I have finally relented and put the heating on. I do seem to feel the cold more these days - maybe it's the reduced insulation! :lol:
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Lost another 1 kg this week. :D
Now lost a total of 20 kg! :lol:
I'm very happy with the way things are going. I'm off all my BP meds, Don't need asthma meds (but still keep an inhaler in my bag as strong perfume or smoke etc can set off an attack). Although I still need pain relief for arthritis, the amount has reduced and I can stand straight and walk (not far!) without being stooped over like an old lady. :shock:
I tried to reduce the allopurinol (for gout) but had a flare-up. My doctor says that while I am still losing weight the body is having to deal with the toxins in my melting-away fat. Therefore a flare up can happen because urates are difficult for the body to get rid of. He says I should continue on the lowest amount of meds that works for me, until I have reached the weight I want to stay at. Then I should be able to slowly reduce the meds, if I am going to continue to eat this way.
YOU BET I AM! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tomorrow I plan to make piccalilli and Wednesday, kimchee. Next week, sauerkraut. Certain members of my family (who claim they don't like pickle or Sauerkraut) seem to do their shopping from my pantry! Strange... :roll:
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby judynew » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:42 pm

You are an inspiration. I love your spirit.
judynew

Postby MikeInFL » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Very inspiring indeed!
MikeInFL

Postby judynew » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:47 am

I completely understand the urge to shop from your pantry! Do you have all the special sauerkraut gear? Jars with the airlocks?
judynew

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 am

My plan was to weigh once a month but post every couple of weeks.
You can see how that worked out!
Anyway, with great trepidation I finally stepped on the scales today after 5 weeks. Although I have been as compliant as I could, there have been times when the best choice available was not really a great choice. I tried not to stress and just did the best I could in the circumstances.
A kilo lost! I'm happy with that.
Honestly, after the new year things will settle down and I will be able to do better. Maybe even a "Mary's Mini", but no promises!
I will ry to post early in the new year in the spirit of a "fresh start".
Judynew, I don't have any special equipment for sauerkraut. I just cram my cabbage and whatever veg I'm using into recycled large jars, make sure everything is below the level of the liquid, then loosen the lids twice a day until it seems done. I do stand the jars on an old tray, as they often overspill a bit when the fermentation is going fast. The special equipment looks very helpful and I will probably look into getting them some time.
I have to eat out five times between now and next Sunday, but my family and congregation are very supportive and know what I will or won't eat. Two restaurant meals, but I think we are going to a local one that does a lovely salad bar with loads of choices with no dressings at all, you choose your dressings after filling your plate and they have oil-free and balsamic vinegar so I always get a great meal.
Saturday, I get to eat in, but I am hosting my dad;s 81st birthday meal so I have told everyone it will be a buffet. I'm recreating the salad bar at home! Also I shall do hummus, bean loaf, baked potatoes,falafel and fruit salad for dessert.. Everyone will have plenty.
Now I'm off to a carol service at my sister church in Wakefield. Lovely!
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby judynew » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:36 am

All this talk of Christmas eating reminds me that a week ago we hosted a vegan potluck lunch at our church, partnering with the Toronto Vegetarian Association, and several non-vegan members of the congregation attended. They all came up with a vegan dish so they had to give a bit of thought to what that required and at the meal there were lots of comments on the wonderful food. One non-veggie person, who brought some fresh fruit, actually told me that they came expecting that there would be nothing there that anyone would really " want to eat". Of course, especially close to Christmas, everyone had knocked themselves out and it was just a fabulous spread of delicious and visually beautiful food. Not necessarily McDougall but still a step in the right direction. Nice bit of education there. I was very pleased and hope that we can do it again.
judynew

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:40 pm

That sounds like a great thing to do. Is it a regular event?
My sister church in Leeds host a "vegan feast" once a month. People living in disadvantaged conditions, low income, homeless, lonely, or whatever are invited as well as anyone interested in vegan food and cooking (or just fancy a social evening) and many attend. so it has a bit of a party atmosphere. Some people bring prepared dishes on the evening, some drop off ingredients in the afternoon, and some drop money in the tin, but it is optional as the main thing is to turn up - you have to "pay" by talking to people!
The cooking is organised by the Leeds Vegan Alliance who work for social justice, and promoting vegan food and cooking.
They are catering a lunch next month at an all day event where I have organised the morning part of the schedule, and I know people will be surprised at how good the food is. One or two have said (on seeing that it will be a vegan lunch) "Oh, I'll bring sandwiches as I can't survive on salad all day."
Honestly, people really believe that is all a person must eat if they omit animal products!
Speaking for myself, although I have lost weight and am healthier than a few months ago, I still look like a salad-dodger!
(British slang for a chubby person)
Although, like your event, it is not based on the MDougall guidelines and there will certainly be many dishes with oil, it is still a good educational opportunity. The more people see that omitting animal products leaves them with attractive, tasty and wholesome food, the more they will be inclined to try it at home.
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:21 pm

I love the vegan event - it's so well planned out to be inclusive and make sure the participants really mingle with each other - I love that paying is intentional socializing. I am thrilled that it focuses on making the homeless, disadvantaged included. This is an idea worth stealing - it's so good!!!

My Church does something similar on a rotation basis (about 16 churches participate) - with a stay over week with dinner for the homeless. Everyone drops off food, or makes it in our kitchen and then a group of church people join for the meal and do the clean up. One year I and another vegan organized the food for the night - we asked the bringers to provide vegetable sides and we provided the vegan main course - so it turned out to be a vegetarian meal and no one knew ;-) No one missed the meat at all :) Afterward we announced that it had been Meatless Monday - a program here that promotes one day of no meat for the environment. The participants actually liked that they had done their part on that. Unfortunately, the other vegan has moved and I have found no one to replicate the effort with :(

I love, love, love "salad dodger" and will steal that myself!
lmggallagher

Postby Lizzy_F » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Rhubarbtriangle I have really enjoyed reading your journal! You have gotten such a great start on "time and adherance" - something that still eludes me. I am so inspired to read your weekly updates and I take heart from reading about how you successfully navigate "life" while staying on plan.

I wish you a happy holiday season and I hope to get to know you better in the new year!

Lizzy
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:18 am

Will someone please tell me to keep my big mouth shut! :lol:
Did I really say that things would be quieter in the new year? :shock:
Wrong!
Work is piling up again. Good thing I love it! :-D
Well, I did my weigh-in and have lost a kilo. Someone said that I was going to a lot of trouble to lose 1kg per month. I suppose if that was all I wanted, then she has a point. However, this is also about what I am gaining.
Health.
*My asthma has gone, even though I have not taken meds for it in months.
*My BP is normal, even though I have been off the meds for many weeks.
*I now need fewer pain meds for my arthritis, and have good reason to hope for further improvement.
*My cholesterol has gone from high to low.
* My skin is nicer than it has ever been, to the extent that people comment on it.
*I am happier! :D :lol:
All these gains from enjoying great food and not being deprived at all. The weight loss is just a happy bonus. :nod:
I did tell her all this and she accepted my offer of the loan of Starch Solution, so you never know...
A while ago I told you about my son, Danny, who was interested in reading "The China Study" after his colleague had a heart attack at only 38. Now he is not 100% on board, but close, and feeling the benefits.
His work nickname used to be "Danny three chins", :eek: but not now!
So now he is reading the "Starch Solution" and really getting engaged with it. Of course, 100% would be ideal, but it's all progress. He is on the journey. :lol:
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:28 pm

Just a little post about the vegan lunch that was provided at the event I organised. The cook had taken on board what I had told him about the McDougall way of eating and he provided two meal choices, one of which was oil-free and compliant! I was so surprised and grateful that he went to such trouble on my behalf. :-D :o
The starters were (compliant) sweetcorn and potato soup or (with oil) mushroom and olive tapenade on bruschetta.
The main course (compliant) was steamed brown rice with chickpea curry, lentil dahl, and steamed veggies to dip in the dahl.
The non-compliant main course featured coconut and black bean curry instead of the oil-free chickpea curry.
The dessert was fresh fruit salad, with vegan ice-cream for those that wanted it.
At teatime there were some beautiful (non-compliant) cakes and some fat-free brownies that he swore were compliant, but they seemed too good to be true. I managed to stick with eating just a little piece, and didn't get any symptoms so maybe they were compliant after all. :shock:
Out of the 30 attendees, there was one vegan and 4 vegetarians. All the others - even the ones who had decided to bring sandwiches - were blown away by the wonderful food. They are still talking about it over a week later! :lol:
Now other organisers are looking into following that example at their events. Result! :D
Next week is weigh-in week. Whatever the weight, I have lost inches and had to give away some skirts that just won't stay up! :oops:
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:57 am

Weigh-in today. I was surprised to discover that I have lost "only" 1kg, as I have lost quite a few inches. :shock:

I bought some new linen trousers in the summer, but they were too tight and clingy. I found them again and now they are too loose. I have put them in a hot wash as being linen they may shrink a bit. If that doesn't work I can use them as PJ bottoms. :nod:

Two winters ago I bought an expensive (by my standards) black velvet long coat. I have had many compliments on it and always feel smart and appropriate in it for work as well as socially. Now it is definitely getting loose. It has ties at the back and now I am pulling them as tight as they will go. Next step will be a wide belt, Cossack-style. I want to hold off from buying another coat until I am at, or very close to, my target weight. Could be a while, but I will get there. ;)

Last week, I took my grand-daughters to an event and everyone there thought I was the older girls' mother and the younger one's grandma. They were genuinely shocked to discover that I am the older girls' grandma and the younger one's great-grandma! :lol: :lol:

Well, it cheered me up, anyway! 8)
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals