Going for it

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Going for it

Postby Greg63 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:34 am

Yay for releasing 2 more kilos! That is wonderful! Yay you! :-D
Greg63

Postby Mike » Sun May 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Great going, rhubarbtriangle!

I too, in Switzerland, have a hard time finding some ingredients. It's even more difficult than in the UK... because you have a more varied food culture. But with time you learn to compensate and adapt other local ingredients. The thing I'm looking for now is smoked paprika and chipotle spices, so that I can make one of the sauces I saw posted in this forum. We just found Kale for the first time in the supermarket some weeks ago. And now it's disappeared again... perhaps nobody bought it but us...
Mike

Start: 13 Dec 2014, 126.9 kg
Target: XX XXX 2015/6, 73.1 kg (BMI = 21.75)
Current: 104.8 kg
Mike

Postby roundcoconut » Sun May 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Nice to hear that you guys are enjoying healthy new ways of eating!

I just wanted to mention really quickly that the essence of a whole foods diet is (to me, anyways), eating the foods that are most freely available in the produce aisle of wherever you happen to be living.

So, I spent some time in Thailand and used to enjoy eating longans, mangosteens, champagne-colored mangoes and even durian (oh those tropical fruits!) It would have been unnecessary for me to seek out things like apples or blueberries when I had all kinds of delicious stuff in my midst. So, please don't feel that there is any *need* to eat the produce of someone else's country or climate when you have a perfectly lovely country and climate of your own!

When I was in Thailand, the vegetables were also different and I enjoyed some type of Chinese water morning glory on a regular basis (it is cheap and green!) along with the starches that were most easily obtained there (particularly rice!)

I mean, by all means, have fun playing with tex-mex stuff that Mary McDougall likes, if that is what you like to do. But the basic idea is eat "food as grown" and not doctored-up health-compromising delicacies that man has concocted! No recipes are ever needed.

Peace out and keep up all the good work! :)
roundcoconut

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Mon May 11, 2015 8:42 am

Roundcoconut, you are right. Local produce is always best - just think of all those air miles! I use mostly local produce and as much organic as possible.
The difficult things to buy I can easily do without as they are mostly condiments. However, when I can get them it is lovely to try new things.
Generally, it is easier for me to alter British or (in my case) European recipes to fit in with the plan.

Mike, I have had success in getting good spices from eBay.
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sat May 16, 2015 1:30 am

Week 3 ends.
Although I have not lost any more weight, I do feel better. And it shows. A couple of people have remarked that I am moving and walking better. Also I have been able to reduce my pain relief a bit. :D
So I shall carry on. This WOE is getting easier as I get into a routine so that I am not left with any excuse to make poor choices. But honestly, the thought of going off-plan is becoming less and less appealing.
I read 'The China Study' yesterday. Very motivational. It should be compulsory reading in all schools so our young people get the chance to enjoy good health all their lives. Not like me, who only found out this information when I was already suffering from many diseases that I now know could have been prevented if I had been given the right information. Still, better late than never!
I'll post an update next week. :)
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby sksamboots » Sat May 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Nice, keep at it! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun May 17, 2015 1:54 am

I know this is silly :oops:

Usually I weigh first thing - before breakfast and still in my nightie. Yesterday I weighed after breakfast and with all my clothes on.

So I wondered if it actually made much difference and weighed with my normal protocol this morning. Wow! A kilo difference.

I'm quite surprised and pretty happy. :D Guess I'll be following the usual routine from now on. :nod:
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun May 17, 2015 11:25 am

My eldest son is 36, and has gained quite a bit of excess weight after changing from an active job to a much less active one. He was telling me today how shocked he was that his workmate (age 38) had suffered a heart attack and almost died.
So he is going to read "The China Study" and watch "Forks Over Knives". I told him he can come on this website and get more info, and he says he will.
He has seen an improvement in me in only 3 weeks so he is interested in finding out more.
I do hope he makes the change, I want better for him than his workmate has suffered.
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby Caroveggie » Mon May 18, 2015 1:25 pm

You are doing well and a good example for your son. I think your son will follow in your foot steps, and then hopefully your son's work mate can also learn about this.

I learned about this way of eating in my late 20s, but only because I just stumbled upon it. It is a shame it is not taught in schools. Everyone should have access to this life-saving information.
Caroveggie

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Mon May 18, 2015 4:25 pm

I was reading your journal, and I also love potato chips (crisps) I invested in a microwave potato chip maker...you may want to look into getting one because they are absolutely delicious! Keep up the good work!
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Thu May 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Yesterday was strange - I was hungry all day. I managed to stay on plan, but I did need to eat a lot more than usual. :eek:
Today was better. All I can think is that breakfast yesterday was not as filling as usual and that must have had a sort of knock-on effect. I will carry on having a "proper" breakfast. :-D
Since it has been almost 4 weeks I am definitely feeling better and more energetic. I want to do some exercise.
Well, there's a first time for everything, right? :lol:
I can still only walk a very short distance due to bone disease in my spine so I got a second-hand exercise bike for a good price and now cycle in the evening while watching TV. There is no weight on my hips/knees so I can do it. I am building up slowly and starting on low resistance because I want to keep at it and not discourage myself by overdoing it. My muscles do ache a bit but not in an offputting way, if you know what I mean. :nod:
Meanwhile, my son is still reading "The China Study" and becoming quite interested. He has been trying out some of the meals, but his family is very resistant. Slowly, slowly...people change in their own time. ;)
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby sksamboots » Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 pm

You are doing wonderful! Some days I am hungrier than others, so as long as I am eating 100% on plan I feed the beast. Keep on keepin on! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Sun May 24, 2015 2:12 am

Well, despite constant grazing on Wednesday, I lost 2kg this week. :D
The last 3 days I have been doing gentle exercise on my static bike. Looks like this has made a difference! :!:
Normally, if I manage to last 4 weeks on a "diet" it is becoming very difficult and this is the stage where I would - if not actually give up altogether - at least start having more and more slip-ups. :o
Not this time!
And not because I've suddenly developed some willpower. Because this not a diet, it's a lifestyle. Plenty of wholesome, delicious and FILLING food that doesn't cost a lot. The longer I stay with it, the more optimistic I feel about the future.
My son is also feeling the benefit. He stays with it through the week, then relaxes a bit at the weekend for the sake of family harmony. It's early days. I know him, he will convert the family before long! :lol:
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby Greg63 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:08 am

You are melting! Wonderful job! And great that you are able to take up some cycling! And love how you are being a positive influence for others! Nice, very nice!
Greg63

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 am

Another busy week, and I have stayed on the program. Yay! :D
Getting into a comfortable routine apart from when I am on my study course and out of the house all day. Making a packed lunch that will keep OK without refrigeration and doesn't need any reheating means I take the lazy option of sandwiches, so end up eating more bread than I need to. It's good, homemade, wholewheat, oil-free sourdough bread, but it is a trigger food for me and I find I just eat too much of it. :eek:
My weight stayed the same this week. That is fine, considering the bread binge! :lol:
Ah well, back to my potatoes and cabbage...
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals