Plant-based and starch centered...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

SUNDAY 10/01/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am

What I ate: (will edit in later)
B black beans/tortillas/nectarine
L veggie soup/garbanzo beans/grapes
D salad

The restlessness continues. I think a big portion of the root of it, is what I've got on my plate. I want/need to reorg the kitchen. I want to get rid of some dishes and replace with things that make sense and work together. I have a hodge podge of glassware. It doesn't stack well nor fit into the refrigerator well, either. I have a mish-mash of plastic containers that my husband uses to haul lunch back and forth to work. I would like to get 2 matching stock pots that will fit on the stove at the same time and hold a lot for when i make my tomato sauces, cook potatoes for the week, make big batches of rice, and boil up a mess of beans (although I really liked the beans from the crock pot). I just got rid of my juicer that I've had for 14 years. My mom bought each of us kids a juicer when she worked at Dillards. She got them on a good deal. I've used mine off/on since getting it and it has never worn out (probably at least 3mos/year). I just am tired of making space for it in the kitchen and I don't plan on using it any more. I have an electric skillet on its last leg and I will be replacing it with a smaller one (for stir-fries). That's the kitchen.

I have a walk-in closet off the bathroom that I turned into a grow room for starting my garden plants in the spring. i'm getting ready to growing some micro- and baby greens. Way easier for me to grow at home and much more cost efficient. I can run my grow lights through the winter and they won't even show on the electric bill. I just don't have much luck growing greens outdoors. I say that, but this year they were awesome. So, Lord-willing, it will be indoor greens through winter and outdoor spring/summer going forward. I'm also going to start growing onions for eating now and some for transplanting out early in the spring. It seems like no matter how many onions I grow, it is never enough. Going to really up the number this year. Also, will be focusing on growing only one type of potato... Yukon Golds. They do well for me. Will try something new and, at harvest, will parboil and freeze to use until gone. I wanted to type "throughout the rest of the year" but I can go through 10-15lbs per week. That is one thing my husband and teenage son will eat.... baked, chunked potatoes. My son just doesn't get how naturally inclined he is toward eating this way. Praying he really gets it and that he finds a spouse who embraces it, as well. I don't know if my daughter will come around or not. She likes being contrary, right now. She craves meat, so she says. I'm hoping that I can continue as a role model in her life for what eating this way can do for a person.

Husband and I went to check out Planet Fitness. It is right next door to the grocery store where both of our kids work and only 5 minutes away from our house (that's if your caught by a red light at one of the intersections between here and there). I'm ready to join. Husband says he is, but wanted to go with the cheapest plan in case we don't follow through with a whole 12 month commitment. I feel like I already need to be prepared for when he stops going.

**Warning: husband rant**
Do not get me wrong. I love him! That's why it hurts so much to watch him suffer. He complains often of hip and back hurting to the point of being unable to walk. He has had reflux issues for years. He can't put on one of his socks because he can't (won't?) bend over. His mid-section is so thick he can hardly breathe. So, when we drove to the convenience store last night to get his habitual 32 oz syrupy-sweet and fat-rich coffee drink, I asked if I could just talk to him for a moment. I explained about how I had to start telling myself that if I wanted to get healthier and feel better, I had to start telling myself that the things that I knew were contributing to my suffering were nothing more than crap! I, LITERALLY, started calling those things out in my life. I also said that I had, for years, sat in the car when we rolled into the convenience store lot and watched the people that were going in and out of the doors. I didn't want to be associated with them or their lifestyle. They were mostly overweight or obese and oftentimes had kids of various ages tagging along behind them indulging as well. That was one area that I've worked on through the years. I would recognize how our kids were being set up to do the same. Because of that fear of being a bad role model, I've often found the strength (much more success than failure) at simply saying I didn't want anything from inside. I wanted to at least show my kids that saying no was an option. They've adopted drive-thrus and convenience store items as a way of life. But, they both are also learning the price of that lifestyle in that they recognize it makes them feel like crap AND they don't want to spend their money that way. While they aren't embracing health, right now, I do think they may choose differently in the future... just hope it is sooner than later. By sooner, I mean soon enough that it impacts their lives BEFORE they get sick.
**RANT OVER***

My concern, right this minute, is that I sound self-righteous. My failings and short-comings are like writing on the wall... highly visible. I just hope to help others before they make mistakes that are unrecoverable in this life. Some people might say that how they eat doesn't hurt anybody else... but, I would say it hurts everybody around you (and even by the spread of word-of-mouth) who hear your complaints, watch your difficulties in mobility, and are having to plan on methods of caring for you at the end of your life because they already can see where your health is headed. I was a person who claimed that statement. "Your smoking affects everybody because it kills the air. My eating doesn't affect anybody but myself. Leave me alone." I have to shake my head in sorrow. I was so very, very wrong!

One last topic before I sign off today...
As my daughter is heading toward HS graduation, I need to figure out what comes next for me. My commitment was to be home for them until they were done with school. I could simply get a job. Finding the "right" one will be complicated. I've always been trained into jobs utilizing certain skill sets particular to that job. It used to keep me above average pay while not being fully engaged in a career. Another option is going back to school. I've joked since my kids were little that I would go to college when they go to college. Now, I bounce back and forth. Before, it was to satisfy that I could finish a degree. Now, though, I am wondering what I would study if I went back to school. I've got crazy good gardening skills...but, I don't really want to study anything plant- or garden- related. But, one thing that I keep finding myself interested in is nutrition. Working with people to help them find their path to health. I don't know how my age factors into that equation. I will turn 54 before the end of the year and who knows how old by the time I would get a degree in nutrition. Would others welcome me despite my age or just assume I'm "old school" and walk away? That is only the start of the questions... What does that field of study look like? Where could I study? How would I afford it? blah, blah, blah... So, like everything else in life... I've got to just BEGIN...
Last edited by strivn2bhealthy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strivn2bhealthy

MONDAY 10/02/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 pm

What I ate:
B butter beans/lettuce/spinach/nectarine
L veggie soup/lettuce spinach/grapes
D salad/pinto beans/tortillas

Today is the kind of day that plays with my head. What things can trigger appetite? Sights? Smells? Textures? Tastes?

It is easier to say that nothing will stop me. Reality is that I struggle at times... a lot. I don't know why things can go along so smoothly and then, out of the blue, I'm starving. Like the "before I started plants and starch eating" kind of never satisfied hunger. Could I possibly have cut back too far on my starches? Or, have I complicated things by mixing in too much variety? I am so far from a healthy weight. Diets in days past, I would certainly lose 2-3 lbs every single week. I know plant food is healthy. I just want to know that I'm doing right. That statement makes me believe that this is a testing of my resolve and backlash from not weighing/measuring. I've got to stop being a whiny brat.
strivn2bhealthy

TUESDAY 10/03/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 am

What I ate: (will update later)
B pinto beans/corn tortillas/nectarine
L veggie soup/lettuce/spinach/broccoli/grapes
D pinto beans/salsa/cilantro/tortillas
S pinto beans/salsa/tortilla - don't know why, but i was very hungry this evening

Had to take time to make a note of another positive. On Aug 2, I was excited bc I got a bp reading of 122/77. I had not seen a number that low w/o meds ever that I remember. Just got through taking 2 readings this morning (bc I couldn't believe what I saw the first time)... 120/76 and 123/72!!! :shock: :nod: :-) This helps stop my whining from yesterday.

My bp has been bouncing since starting back in mid-July (I stopped my bp med 2 or 3 months before). I can directly link my bp numbers to intake of sodium. Even a single can beans or regular canned tomatoes will cause a spike. I've been working to permanently remove the "sodium" foods. The last few days, it was canned tomatoes in veggie soup. I still have 16 cans to use up. I will mix them (halve the sodium) with the no salt added tomatoes I bought earlier this week to dilute until the old cans are gone. One batch of soup makes about 16 servings, so that sodium level is less than 200mg per serving. I usually have 2 servings per day.

Thankful that things are still moving forward!
Last edited by strivn2bhealthy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 10/04/17 WEEK 12 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:19 am

3 MONTHS
284lbs (-0/-38)
bp 119/82, 127/86
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 10/04/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am

What I ate:
B veggie soup/beans/salsa
L potatoes/maple mustard
D veggie soup/potatoes
S larabar
strivn2bhealthy

THURSDAY 10/05/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:00 pm

What I ate:
B veggie soup/white basmati rice
L veggie soup/black eye peas
D veggie soup/black beans & cilantro & salsa

Weird to say, after all of the recent vacillating, I think I've hit my new stride. White potatoes aren't very appealing, right now. Didn't think that was possible. Sweet potatoes are still curing for another week or so. I can't wait for them to be ready! For now, just beans and rice for my starches and soup for the bulk of my veggies.

I feel thinner today. I LOOK thinner today. I very much appreciate that I am able to see/recognize the changes happening. My shoulders are more square than I remember from the last time I lost some significant weight. They are wider, also. I wonder if I can figure out if I'm big-boned or not just based on my shoulders? Once, I asked my mom if she thought I was big-boned or not... she laughed and said, "I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've seen your bones." It might sound cruel, but in the setting, it was perfect and we laughed a while over it.

I'm just glad it's still all going well!
strivn2bhealthy

FRIDAY 10/06/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:15 am

What I ate:
B veggie soup/black beans/salsa
L veggie soup/black eye peas
S larabar
D veggie sandwich/beans/salsa/grapes
strivn2bhealthy

SATURDAY 10/07/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:22 pm

What I ate:
B veggie soup/black beans/salsa/cilantro
L veggie soup/sweet potato
D veggie soup/black beans/salsa/cilantro

I grew three different types of sweet potatoes this year. I baked up one of each to see how the curing is going. They are fantastic! I am thankful for the many pounds that we harvested. My family doesn't eat them... they are all mine. Plus there are 6 more plants still growing in the garden. In the end, I'll be interested to see how long they all last.
strivn2bhealthy

SUNDAY 10/08/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 am

What I ate:
B veggie soup/sweet potato
L black beans/rice/salsa/cilantro/spinach/lettuce
S sweet potato
D veggie sandwich

The sweet potato for breakfast may be too sweet or not satiating enough. I was super hungry in the afternoon, so I finished off the sweet potatoes I cooked on Saturday.

I have noticed a strange weight loss pattern over the past few weeks. I level at a weight for 7-10 days and then lose 2-4 lbs over the next 3-5 days and then the cycle repeats. I'm right around the weight I was throughout my childbearing. It seems my body remembers that well and doesn't want to move away from it. I've read Dr McD's (and many others) info about set point. It makes sense to the trend I'm currently in. I expect that around 250, I'll run into the same issue. Lower than that, who knows? I hit 210 in 2011, the lowest since 1983 (I think)? It will be interesting to watch how this plays out!
strivn2bhealthy

MONDAY 10/09/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:52 am

What I ate:
B veggie soup/lettuce/spinach
L garbanzo beans
D oatmeal/strawberries

Cooked garbanzo beans in the crock pot yesterday. That went well. They were done in 5 hours on high. Next time, I will check at 4 hours. I like my garbanzos a little firmer.

My confidence continues to grow. I must admit, though, that I go through cycles of "blossoming" and "retreating."

On Monday, I had a bit of a pressure headache. It was just strong enough to be annoying. It was an overcast day, as well. I realized how much I was affected emotionally by those things in combination. So, I went last night and bought some vit d. I'm a gardener. I wouldn't think I would struggle with low d levels. I do, though. Every late Jan thru a good chuck of Feb, I get a little emotionally "blue" due to the number of sunless days. It hasn't been as bad the last 3 or 4 years bc of the intensity of the gardening. I knew this year I might struggle more bc I haven't been in as much sun over the last 2 months as the previous years coupled with the change in eating. Monday convinced me that it was time to stop the procrastination and start supplementing. I will have 3 solid months of supplementation before mid Jan. Plus, I'm praying to be down another 36lbs. That should help my feeling of well-being, also!
strivn2bhealthy

TUESDAY 10/10/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 am

What I ate:
B garbanzo beans
L ww pasta/no salt tomatoes
D garbanzo beans/potatoes

Another good day! So thankful!
Last edited by strivn2bhealthy on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
strivn2bhealthy

WEDNESDAY 10/11/17 WEEK 13 WEIGH-IN

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 am

13 WEEKS
279lbs (-5/-43)
bp 149/88

Thank You, Jesus! I feel blessed! Down 10lbs for the last 4 wks. I have nothing to complain about... it is going well!

What I ate:
B garbanzo beans/lettuce/spinach/salsa
L sweet potatoes
D veggie sandwich
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

THURSDAY 10/12/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 am

What I ate:
B black beans/salsa/lettuce/spinach
L sweet potatoes
D black beans/rice/salsa/lettuce/spinach
strivn2bhealthy

FRIDAY 10/13/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:00 am

What I ate:
B black beans/rice/salsa/lettuce/spinach
L sweet potatoes
D will update

Back to Wednesday. I posted early in the day bc I was so excited about getting to record the weight loss for the last week, 5 lbs. It was early, so I didn't record how the rest of the day went... and how yesterday went... not great.

Had a major out-of-my-control stress dumped on me on Wednesday. That drama continued into Thursday topped with the little one I watch having his own meltdown of sorts. Bring on the battle AGAINST emotional eating!

Tuesday evening, after we got home from church, the kids wanted xxxxxxxx. I had one box left that I had bought before changing everything. I have left it in their snack cabinet out of my sight. I offered to bake them up. Opened it up and found the inside package was torn, so into the trash that went. There was also a xxxx xxx left, so i baked that up instead. While it baked, I made some xxxxxxxx. xxxx and xxxxxxxx could be triggers for me, but they weren't that night. I'm just not tempted in that way. Also, xxxxxxxxx isn't generally a trigger.

However, when Wednesday's calamities hit, all I could think of was xxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxxxxx, and xxx xxxxx. I didn't touch what I made for the kids. But, the mental battle that ensued was horrible. Self-sabotage is my greatest trip-up. When I did finally lose that battle, I ate a handful of xxxxxx xxxxx. I fought the sugar craving with salt. Still not ideal, but way better than had I indulged in the sugar. It did, momentarily, squelch the craving.

On Thursday, when the stress hit "high" again, I reached for a small handful of xxxxxx xxxxx, again. At that point, I told myself, "I have done enough damage." And got right back on track with the eating.

I watch Heather Goodwin (Butterfly Effect Plant-Based Eating). I (selfishly) want to see her succeed at her 300lb weight loss... then, I want to (selfishly) see her succeed at her ultimate goal, as well. I want to know that someone who has been overweight/obese/morbidly obese their entire life CAN REACH A HEALTHY WEIGHT. Now that she has added in her other "daily" topics, I happened to watch one on Thursday. The timing couldn't have been more appropriate... Speak Truth To Lies. I then watched the one from last week... Who is making your decisions? I certainly won't idolize any human. Heather is a (huge) step ahead of me in her weight loss journey. I want to learn from someone who is ahead of me on the path and giving, what appears to be, good counsel on the matter. She isn't perfect. She seems like someone who genuinely wants to do right and help others choose right, also. I don't watch everything she makes. But, I haven't been disappointed with what I have watched.

Let me say this... I do appreciate all who offer support and encouragement on this board. But, sometimes, it seems harder to find how to directly "connect" with people who have similar struggles based on similar histories. Honestly, it is difficult to relate to people who have become overweight or obese in adulthood... the ones who have experienced what it is to be a normal weight somewhere in their past... the ones who want to get back to their high school weight, college weight, or premarital weight and such. Not trying to take the struggle away from anyone... it is hard for each of us. But, most of the dieting community, as well as the medical community, tell us that we should be content to just get a little healthier.

The last time I lost a significant amount, i didn't recognize myself in the mirror. I would literally startle myself bc I would see a stranger in the bathroom with me. My ultimate goal weight (what the doctors' and insurance charts say) was what I weighed when I was 10 years old. I was 5'3" and 137lbs, the same height and weight as my mom, but compared to the kids around me, I was GROTESQUELY OBESE. If I knew then what I know now, things might be different. I could have matured into that weight. But, because the world told me I was fat, I hated myself. Guess what happened? I ate myself fatter. Then, I dieted myself fatter. Then, I hated myself more. You get it, right? At the age of 11, 5'4" and 167 lbs. At 12, 5'5" and 176lbs. At 18, 5'6" and 187 lbs. At 28, 5"6-1/2" and 300 lbs. At 44, 5'6-1/2" and 357 lbs. I started out life (through elementary school) taller AND bigger than those around me... then, since Junior High, I just started being bigger than everyone around me. Now, I see people around me that are much bigger than I am. I feel exceedingly sorrowful for them.

Okay, enough about all of that! Today, things are going well! I'm learning... :nod:
strivn2bhealthy

MONDAY 10/16/17

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:53 pm

I don't understand what is going on. I'm too hungry (real? or just appetie? i can't tell), but nothing tastes particularly good. I'm not feeling satiated. This has been getting worse for nearly a week now, but started before that. Wondering if the best course of action would be to get back to weighing/measuring for a short space of time. I've had a couple of stress issues added into my life. As out of control as it feels like things are moving, I'm scared. I won't quit. But, I've done a pretty good in the past of creating failure. I've lived with failure my entire life... it is my norm.

One thing I'm questioning is my soup. I read a couple of different articles addressing the destruction of starch when reheating certain (if not all) starches. The soup I made this time around was intentionally starch heavy. But, if in my reheating, I am destroying the starch, could that be why I'm not experiencing satiation?

The soup recipe:
29 oz canned diced tomatoes
14 oz frozen peppers/onions
24 oz frozen classic mixed veggies (green beans, peas, carrots and corn
16 oz frozen corn
16 oz frozen baby lima beans
32 oz frozen diced potatoes
8 cups water

I eat about a 2-3 cup serving of this (about 1 lb) with some lettuce and spinach (about 20 g each) wilted into it. I had some white basmati rice in the fridge that I made for my husband and son, so I poured some soup over about 1/2 cup of rice (cold from fridge) to see if that made a difference. I was just as hungry as ever. I've been eating a sweet potato (cooked, then cooled) for most lunches.

I stopped eating fruit 1-1/2 wks ago, except for some strawberries with oatmeal for dinner one evening.

I'm not giving up! i'm not quitting. But, I just might cry. lol. maybe? Keep moving forward, Shari. This is just a season...
strivn2bhealthy

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals