Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am

No exercise again, I better get on the ball, I am signed up for a 5k at the end of the month.

Yesterday's food:

L: salad, steamed veggies, spicy brown rice
D: steamed veggies, spicy brown rice
D2: 2 bagels (whole wheat but not McDougall), french fries, bowl of cereal (almond milk)

I found myself really hungry last night, I think the bread sort of triggered me. I am not even sure the last time I had bread was. I justified the bread being whole wheat. I am not real sure why I was so hungry. I could have easily just warmed up some brown rice I had prepared.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:57 am

Sometimes our bodies just go for it, with the calories. Who knows what you are metabolizing, and what it is that requires a few extra calories.

Glad it was Whole Wheat, at any rate!

Keep going. It's inspiring to see you eating so simply day after day. I like it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:52 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Sometimes our bodies just go for it, with the calories. Who knows what you are metabolizing, and what it is that requires a few extra calories.

Glad it was Whole Wheat, at any rate!

Keep going. It's inspiring to see you eating so simply day after day. I like it!

I tossed the rest of the bagels out. It was just too strange. last night I was hungry and made some hash browns in the AF. I wasn't hungry for anything else.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 pm

No exercise.

I felt my mouth was sort of dry this morning and checked my blood sugar, it was 297. I took a shot of both Lantus and Norvolog insulin. I haven't been checking it often. I could tell by my mouth it was not good.

Yesterday's food:

L: steamed veggies, spicy brown rice (with extra corn)
D: salad, steamed veggies, spicy brown rice (with extra corn)
S: hashbrowns in air fryer

I really like the hashbrowns in the air fryer. The french fries also. I have one more serving of my spicy brown rice left. I might wait until Sunday to make any more and eat potatoes Friday and the weekend. I might do that mushroom and wild rice dish again.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 am

Today is weigh in day. I have done my best to stay away from the scale.

I had originally hoped to be at 220 when I first put my goals together, then adjusted to 225. So I am a little behind. I am glad I have lost what I have. I have yet to feel like I am on a diet or missing out. I feel great about where I am and where I am headed. I also feel great.

I have not been to the gym much since my father's passing. Even when I go to bed at a decent time, I just haven't wanted to get out of bed early and deal with the cold. I will figure something out that works for me. I am running a 5k next weekend, so I better at least get some running in before that.

I have lost enough weight for people to mention it. That keeps me motivated. I think to myself, "you ain't seen nothing yet".

Yesterday's food

Off plan. Not even going to share it here. Valentine's dinner with my wife.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Tomorrow morning, at 8 am, I am meeting again with some new people and of course it is at a restaurant, Golden Corral. Last month I meet up with them there and just had unsweetened iced tea.

The meeting is only an hour. This will be my third "food" gathering with this group. I doubt if anyone cares if I eat or not. It is just on my mind this evening. Here is the conclusion I have come up with, maybe one day I can join them in some sort of meal at a restaurant, but as long as I am obese/overweight and not in my best health, I will just have to wait.

For whatever, people that ride motorcycles like to ride to get something to eat. At least this group doesn't like to ride to different bars and drink. Tomorrow is more of a meeting than a ride. I think it will be raining anyway. I want to attend the meeting and be involved with them.

So I will drink tea and if anyone asks, I will say I am not hungry. Which will be true, I am rarely hungry that early.

I wanted to share this to make it more real. Keep me in your thoughts.

I also weighed myself before lunch, 226.7. Still short, but I feel better about it.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:47 am

Golden Corral! It’s my daughter’s favorite primarily because of the self serve ice cream and chocolate fondue fountain. Each location varies, but they usually have a decent amount of on-plan food, at least for dinner. The problem I have is walking past all the off-plan food. Salad, steamed veggies and a potato can be had, but there is just so much junk that tries to jump on my plate.

You are doing so well! Weight has a way of not doing exactly what we want, but you keep progressing, and that is what matters.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 am

Lyndzie wrote:Golden Corral! It’s my daughter’s favorite primarily because of the self serve ice cream and chocolate fondue fountain. Each location varies, but they usually have a decent amount of on-plan food, at least for dinner. The problem I have is walking past all the off-plan food. Salad, steamed veggies and a potato can be had, but there is just so much junk that tries to jump on my plate.

You are doing so well! Weight has a way of not doing exactly what we want, but you keep progressing, and that is what matters.

For lunch or dinner, Golden Corral works pretty good. I ate there often my first time around. As far as the weight loss goes, I am okay with it being slow, as long as I am going in the right direction.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:29 am

So I had done real good staying away from the scale, but since Friday I have got on it the last two days. I even got back on it Friday, I think I posted that already. I don't want to be in "diet" mode. I already know from my past how the scale messes up my thinking. I think until I get under 225 and then 220, I will want to know my weight. I might just have to deal with it. This morning I am at 225.7. Either way I am feeling good this morning. I got a lot of stuff done yesterday, plus I am real pleased that I didn't eat SAD yesterday. I made up a batch of wild rice blend and also some field peas that I bet were a few years old. They cooked up fine. At one point in my life I was cooking dry beans and avoiding canned beans. This poor bag of beans has been hanging out since then. I also made some buffalo fries on the air fryer. Today I am going to buy some fresh cauliflower and make buffalo bites.

I am off work on Monday, nothing planned yet. I will cook up some spicy brown rice for the work week. I have a couple of frozen pizzas that my wife won't eat in the freezer, more than once I have talked myself out of eating them. I even had one in my hand, I think it was Friday night. I called my daughter and asked her if she or any of her friends would want the pizza or I was throwing them out. I have come to the conclusion that if I really want SAD pizza, it isn't going to be frozen or from a chain. I have had plenty of pizza in my lifetime, it will be okay if I don't have any pizza. I have eaten pizza with no cheese and the vegan cheese. I would rather not eat either. Pasta with red sauce is a great alternative.

Yesterday's food:

L: AF Buffalo fries
D: salad, steamed veggies, wild rice, field peas.

No damn exercise, but I was very active.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:06 am

Golden Corral, can you get a salad there? I know they specialize in meats and grilled steaks, etc and there's more than plenty of high fat options even if you stay away from the meats, but IIRC, they had something of a salad bar. That's what I would do, go through the salad bar once or twice, and possibly get a baked potato or two if they have them?

You're stronger than I am, sitting and sipping tea while everyone eats. Impressed!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Golden Corral, can you get a salad there? I know they specialize in meats and grilled steaks, etc and there's more than plenty of high fat options even if you stay away from the meats, but IIRC, they had something of a salad bar. That's what I would do, go through the salad bar once or twice, and possibly get a baked potato or two if they have them?

You're stronger than I am, sitting and sipping tea while everyone eats. Impressed!

It really is a decent choice for lunch or dinner, but for breakfast it would have been a waste, plus I am not even hungry in the morning.

This has been my third "tea only" meal. I have also done two "salad only" meals and one salad and potatoes meal with SAD eaters. I have also had a few SAD restaurant meals since my return. I might be further along, but I have no regrets. They were either planned or situational, being with family for two funerals I chose to make a few compromises. I have also dodged quite a few SAD eating events. What has helped me get through them is the idea that if I wait until I am at a healthy BMI, I can then choose to eat SAD on special occasions. I don't have to make that decision right now. I need to focus on following this WOE and get healthy. I expect to have plenty more "tea only" meals with my motorcycle riding friends, they love to eat. "Live to Ride, Ride to Eat".

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 pm

I went to the gym today! It has been about time. I also did a few sit ups this morning also. Long way from tracking them.

I also got on the scale after telling myself I wasn't going to. I am not real sure how I am going to get past the whole scale thing. I might just embrace it, knowing that it will have ups and downs. 224.1, which I am glad, but if it would have been 225.1 I would have been upset. Also, sometimes a good number will justify eating something that I shouldn't. We shall see how I move forward. The scale thing has been an ongoing struggle/issue with me.

Yesterday's food:

L: salad, steamed veggies, buffalo cauliflower
D: buffalo fries, wild rice and field peas

The buffalo cauliflower tasted great, but I found myself burping them up throughout the day. Indid eat a whole head of cauliflower. I really like the air fryer french fries. I am getting it down pretty good. I also had some today, will post that tomorrow. No work today, Tuesday I will return to rice until Friday. I have lots of lettuce and frozen vegetables. I really like the Mrs. Dash on the vegetables. I have one more serving of wild rice left. I will cook up some spicy brown rice or I might make a spaghetti sauce type of brown rice. I was thinking the other day about having sauce on rice instead of pasta. I do have some whole wheat pasta, but decided to wait until I was no longer obese to eat. I am not even sure what weight or BMI that is. I should look that up. I know I used to know it, I just haven't been focused on it. Just focused on my short term goals and fitting into some old clothes. Which is coming along.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:20 am

No gym this morning. I am going to go for a run/walk after work. I have a 5k on Saturday.

I stayed away from the scale this morning. I also made up some sauce last night in the crock pot. It smelled great this morning.

Yesterday's food:

L: buffalo fries
D: steamed vegetables, wild rice and field peas

I will be back to my workday mini Mary's Mini with brown rice this week. I still have some of my wild rice and field peas left over, so I will have that today, maybe with some of my sauce. Feeling good today.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:11 am

Went to the gym. Treadmill for an hour, basically fast walking. I didn't make it outside yesterday as planned, it was fairly busy day.

Yesterday's food:

L - salad, steamed veggies, wild rice
D - salad, steamed veggies, Italian rice, AF fries

I am feeling good this morning. Nothing really to post about.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Ejeff » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:06 am

Hi John, maybe a silly question but how do you make the buffalo fries? Do you put the hot sauce on after baking or before?
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals