Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 pm

It has been a while since I posted. I have had my ups and downs. I am fairly sure I am not alone in this. I am active on Facebook, but really need to get back to what worked.

The last three days have been good. Focising on MWL. I can do three days. I can do four and sometimes five. Then something happens. When first introduced to this WOE, I stayed on plan for months and when I did slip, it was small. Now when I eat SAD or SVD, I go overboard.

A while back ago, my wife got a fitbit. She has went from a size 14 to a size 8. She has cut back her sodas and drinks more water. She had lost some weight before the fitbit because we eat separate. She still eats SAD and has no interest in changing what she eats. She also knows about this WOE and has no issue telling me I am eating off plan. I now have a fitbit and we have been doing 5ks (walk/run) for about a month. I am able to run 1/2 mile, so that is good. I wish I would have found a physical activity before.

I am roughly at 240 pounds. I have more support at home than I ever have had, even though our house is full of SAD food. I slip more when I go out. I am also good at following this WOE while eating out, when I want to. I like the food.

I am not a vegan, nor do I expect to be one soon. I know that eating SAD on a regular basis is deadly. I feel like the alcoholic who celebrates one year of sobriety by drinking. I still am at a loss how the weight came back. I know how it happened, I just can't believe it happened to me.

Not sure how active I will be here, but I need to be here, so I hope to be back long term. When I was under 200, I still had plenty of body fat. My goal is to be at 197, but really, I am aiming for 165

I am going to set some points that I want to reach.

First I want to get to 233 ASAP, that was my top weight in the AF. Next is 225, something about that number, then under 210, then 204, the top weight allowed for my height in the AF, then under 200, then 197, then 186, why I am not sure but that number means something to me, then 179. I think 179 is very achievable. Getting to 165 will be a challenge, but if I am running and following this WOE I can't see why not.

With my running, I want to be able to run 1 mile ASAP, then be able to run 1 mile twice in a session, then a mile and half at once, then 2 miles at once, then 3.1 miles at once. Once I am able to run the whole 5k, I will want to be able to do a 5k in under 30 minutes.

My food at home will be very simple. Oatmeal for breakfast. A.salad with lunch and dinner. I have a few MWL meals that are my go to meals. I will post that later. I know the food, I just fall into the pleasure trap and eat SAD CRAP, mostly emotional eating. Too many times I have said, "I will get back on track tomorrow". Well tomorrow is now.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:07 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Hi there John

I was clicking around at the Journal section of dr mcdouall.com and looking for my old journal when I came across yours. Wondering how you're doing.

My own slacking the past year has meant putting on about 20 lbs, and up 30 from my low back in 2011, so I'm back on track now after a year of mediocre health and some unhappy emotional stuff.

How are you these days?

Blessings, Heidi

I am better now, thanks for posting. I am going to try to catch up on journals. Hope you are doing well.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Starch Chick » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Nice seeing you posting here again, John :) :)
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks Beth, I am glad to be back.

This morning I weighed myself. 244.6. I am going to start my weigh-ins on Monday mornings. Too often I would celebrate a good number on Friday by eating poorly on the weekend.

B - banana
L - salad, 3 ears corn on the cob, one potato, peas and carrots
D - salad, potato

E: 10 pushups, 10 situps, 14k+ steps.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby RAS22 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Welcome back John! I too am back since 5/22 .Had another wake up call with my health.How many warnings do I need?
Iknow what to do,so I am just doing it.Again glad to see you posting. RAS :)
RAS22

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:49 pm

RAS22 wrote:Welcome back John! I too am back since 5/22 .Had another wake up call with my health.How many warnings do I need?
Iknow what to do,so I am just doing it.Again glad to see you posting. RAS :)

I think many of the successful people had a few ups and downs. All part of the journey. Glad you are back.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:06 pm

It is Sunday evening.

I have decided to have my "official" weigh-ins be on Mondays instead of Saturdays because too often I would celebrate with food.

I did sneak on the scale this morning and was happy with the number, let's hope tomorrow is a good number also.

My food has mostly been MWL. I did have some veggie pasta Friday night, because we were running/walking in a 5k on Saturday. It was more of a fun run, but it was good. I also had some SAD CRAP Saturday, birthday parties, but had small portions.

Today we went to running/walking and I ran for a mIle continually, first time I have done that in many years. Then this evening we went on a 4 mile run/walk. There is a run club. We might join it.

Today for food, I made tacos. In the past, I would overeat the corn tortillas, but I had 5. That is a much lower number than on other times. I also made a cool filling. Black beans and rice, with Rotel tomatoes. Turned out good. I also cooked some frozen potatoes with taco seasoning. I have plenty of leftovers. Also makes great salad toppings.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:07 am

Weighed in this morning. 239.8.

I have been stuck in the 240-250 range for at least 6 months, most likely longer. I a few ago I got below 240, but celebrated with food. This last week my food was still pretty questionable at times, so this week I will continue to look for better choices. The weekend will be a challenge, but that is several days away.

I am fairly sure if I keep my activity up and eat MWL that I can get to 233 by next Monday. What I consume on July 4th will be important. My plan is corn on the cob and big baked potatoes, both can get heated up on the grill if need be.

The last week in July we are going on a cruise, I want to be in the low side of the 220's by then.

I have not been this motivated in a long time, so that feels good. I have a bunch of jeans and dress pants waiting for me to trim down...

Already did 45 minutes on the treadmill and 10 situps and 10 pushups this morning. Breakfast was 1/2c oatmeal w/maple syrup.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby rhubarbtriangle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 am

Good work! :-D

Keep going! :)
“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
― A.A. Milne

rhubarbtriangle

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:42 pm

I tested my blood sugar this morning, 129. I am okay with that. Would like to see it a little lower, but I am on track.

Busy day today and Thursday will be crazy busy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby sksamboots » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:37 am

Nice. Keep on keepin on! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:02 pm

I have not posted here in quite a while.

I returned to this WOE November 28th, 2018. Back on pills and shots, clothes fitting tight and at 255 pounds.

I am not sure what my plans are as far as journaling goes, I was reminded of the discussion boards in a Facebook Group. So far I have been 100% MWL, except for some excess fruit and four corn tortillas, which I have been told are no longer MWL, but pasta now is, so I have had some pasta. I am currently doing a Mary's Mini with brown rice and I am on day 3. I just recently got active on social media about being back on plan. I will be doing mostly MWL as long as I am obese. I am 100% in, no reservations about SAD. I am not sure if I have had said that before. I know I have not always felt that way and felt that I would be able to one day eat SAD again. Today I know that I can't eat SAD without consequences. I most likely have an eating disorder of sorts. I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict, so I am sure I have some sort of issue. The key for me will to be 100% McDougall. One bite is too much, and a million not enough. (I am sure I have posted all of this before.)

It has been rough being on and off this WOE. In and out. Knowing that there is a better way.

So I am back. So far mostly posting in Facebook Groups. I think it would good for me to journal and I think I can do it. Strike that, I know that keeping a journal is good and it has had a great impact on my past success. I can do it.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I want to post my goals, mostly so I have them somewhere in writing. I returned to this WOE at 255 pounds. I am 6 foot tall so that has me easily in the obese range. My goal is to be at 178 pounds. When I was last following this WOE I was at 195 and had plenty to go, but was real happy at being below 200. I slowing returned to SAD and then had been in and out of this WOE trying to do it "my" way most of the time. Each of my goals has a some sort of reason, and I will post them also.

233 - weight when 22 in Air Force that prompted getting put on weight loss program.

225 - weight I claimed I was when lying about my weight

220 - no longer obese, overweight

204 - maximum allowable weight for my height while in the Air Force

199 - under 200 - Onederland!

195 - where I was before

185 - just seems like a good number, at the edge of being overweight and not.

178 - no longer overweight!

None Scale Goals:

Be off all type 2 diabetes meds, with a AIC under 6.

Be able to run a whole 5K.

Be able to finish a 5K under 30 minutes.

To be able to tuck in shirts without a gut sticking out, to feel and look fit.

To be a McDougall Success Story.

I am in this for long term and will need to be 100% even once I hit my goals. I will most likely just stick to my journal here for now.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:33 pm

I know in the past I logged my food. Right now I am doing a Mary's Mini until January 10th, I started on Christmas Day. I am eating brown rice. I am cooking up two cups of uncooked rice each day. So far I have not been able to eat it all in one day, which makes my first meal of the day fairly easy, leftovers!

I am only eating when hungry. I am not hungry first thing in the morning. This morning I went to the gym for an hour, walked on the treadmill a little over 3 miles. I wasn't hungry. I also discovered recently that me eating oatmeal in the morning makes me more hungry during lunch. So I started grabbing a banana and/or a pear to take with me to work and eating them around 9:30 and then eating a reasonable lunch and dinner. It is crazy, I rejoined this WOE and kicked oatmeal to the curb. Now that I started MMD, I haven't been eating breakfast. Now maybe I will be hungry earlier, but so far this seems good. So for the past three days I have had two meals each day and no snacks.

L: brown rice w/broccoli
D: brown rice w/broccoli & mushrooms

I have some other frozen vegetables, but the plan is to eat brown rice w/broccoli when I am hungry and stop once full. I am also meaning to drink a large glass of water before each meal, but haven't done it. Soon I will start exercising more, but going to the gym this morning was a big deal. I have known I should go, but was sleeping in.

I am also not 100% sure how I am going to handle the scale. I am in diet mode, I know I won't be in diet mode forever, but I think for right now I am going to be in diet mode.

This morning I weighed in at 241.8, down 13.6 from my return. My wife has an Aria 2 Firbit scale in our bathroom. I can let the sill y numbers on the scale impact my eating and go off plan. Lose or gain, I can find a reason to eat SAD. I have stated I wanted to limit weighing myself, but I think I will just make it my daily routine at least while in diet mode.

I tried to update my old weight tracker. it might have issues.

My plan is to post here every day. We will see how that works out tomorrow. Plus I need to see how easy it is to do on my phone. I am so glad to be back.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Yomom » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Welcome back, John. It is nice to see you posting here again.
Yomom

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals