FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FREEDOM FROM THE BONDAGE OF SELF

Postby kkrichar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 pm

I want to share an email from my aunt regarding food for Christmas. I decided to visit family for Christmas and was worried about all the temptations. My relatives are rural farmers that will never give up meat (their words). However, I've been open with them about my food and why it's a struggle for me and why I'm committed to this WOE. My aunt has accepted this is the way I eat. I thought if I gave my aunt a heads-up that I would be more likely to stay on plan in the face of temptation. So, I sent me aunt an email letting her know she didn't need to worry about food for me and that I would be bringing my own yadda yadda. This was her response,

"I figured you would probably bring the food that you can eat, and that is fine with me. Just bring enough so I can try some, too. : ) I think I need to try more vegetarian dishes myself, but I know that I cannot quit meat altogether, but we’ve been eating more fruit and veggies for quite some time already, and it has helped the ol’ system already, so I know more fruits and veggies is a good thing. I know all about the battle with food. Tain’t easy!!"

We've come a long way. I did bring my own food and I did stick to that food in front of my family. Unfortunately, after they went to bed (and when their backs were turned) I found myself sneaking some things like a junkie. It wasn't that bad. My relatives didn't even have much in the house for sweets. I also grabbed some candy from a gas station for the 4-hour drive home. Even though I wasn't on "full-feed" relative to the damage I'm capable of I managed to gain 8.2 pounds in 8 days. I know all of that wasn't real weight gain I'm just trying to paint a picture here. I seriously thought I was doing pretty good at holding myself back from the real bender I truly desired. Anyhoo, in the last 10 days I've lost 7 of those pounds.

Right after Christmas I was talking to my mom about the fiscal cliff and where society is going financially. I mentioned the internal struggle I have reconciling my beliefs about societal responsibility to its poorest members with what I know to be true about diet and health. On the one hand I think everyone should have access to health care. On the other hand I believe most people would not need extensive health care services if they changed their diets. Do I believe its OK to just yank away health care to poor people and tell them they should eat better? I work with doctors and half of them are on the paleo diet. It isn't just about choices. It's also about knowledge and most people, especially uneducated people without access to Internet, receive conflicting information about nutrition or bad information. Many are given no information at all. The doctor will prescribe them a pill and never mention lifestyle changes.

Anyhoo, what does this have to do with me? Well, I think I found a way to reconcile my inner conflict. If things continue the way they are going now in this country many many people will have zero access to health care no matter what I do. These people will likely be poor and have a difficult time affording enough food to feed their families let alone worry about nutrition. If I can find a way to make this WOE work for me I can teach others. Right now I have no credibility. Clearly something has yet to click in my head that truly makes me believe this WOE is for me. I have written often about why I was able to quit drinking and smoking but not stick to this WOE. I worry a major health crisis will be necessary and I may not survice a major health crisis. I remembered the other day that, technically, a major crisis did not occur prior to my quitting drinking and smoking. In both cases I believed with absolute certainty that a crisis was NEXT. I knew with all my heart I was at the end of my rope. There would be no more chances for me. I changed. I stuck to the change. It got easier over time. Now I never think about drinking or smoking.

About a week ago I had a little middle-of-the-night incident that makes me believe a health crisis is around the corner for me. I had stuck with a whole plant foods diet but went a little crazy with the Clementines. I must have had indigestion or something in my sleep. I woke up and inhaled at the same time I was (this is gross I know) belching stomach acid. I had been lying on my back and was in the process of sitting up when it happened. Anyhoo, I aspirated the stomach acid (breathed it into my lungs). It was the most horrifying experience EVER! I could not breathe at all. The pain was so intense. I felt like I was drowning. I felt like I needed to vomit and ran to the bathroom but it was difficult to move because I couldn't breathe. I tried to cough but it was extremely painful. It felt like my throat and lungs were on fire. My neck and my teeth throbbed in pain and it felt like someone was squeezing my heart. I was so scared. I didn't know if I should call 911. I didn't know if I COULD call 911. I couldn't breathe let alone talk. Long story slightly less long eventually I was able to get some air and I used my inhaler to get more air. I went back to bed and my lungs just gurgled like I was blowing bubbles through a straw. The next day I felt sad for myself. It was a tiny depression fueled by fear and a bit of left over shock. I told some friends about it and one person said it could be GERD and another said it could be from sleep apnea. One friend suggested I start taking prilosec. Basically all the things big fat people with shitty diets have.

So, health problems for me are not a distant future concept that I should probably do something about someday. Now is the time. My aunt wears a CPAP to bed and I do not want that for myself. I NEVER want to experience whatever that was with the whole aspirating and nearly drowning in my own Clementine juice!! That's all the unhealthy people in this country need. A big "Death by Clementine" headline. Be careful people! Use your CPAP. Take that Prilosec and whatever you do stay away from those deadly Clementines! Did you hear? She was *vegan*!

In an effort to avoid my usual resentments over people getting to have things I can't have or people putting desirable things in front of me making my own commitments difficult to stick to I have decided to think of it as a challenge that has the potential to help others. AA works because people who have been where you are share their experience, strength and hope with you so you can be where they are now. It's hard to take someone seriously who has never felt what you feel. We always assume we are different. Our circumstances don't fit their prescription. I know, from coming to these forums, that every successful person here knows how I feel. They were scared at some point. They didn't want to give up their goodies either. They were afraid they coudn't stick with it; that their cravings would never get better. I know, because they keep coming back here, that they are living the life I want and it is possible for me to live it too.

Maybe someday I can offer free classes to people on food stamps or WIC with limited access to health care. I can show them a WOE that can be healthy and affordable. I can tell them my story and they will know I know how they feel.

Day 10.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 pm

I moved at the end of August and my treadmill did not survive. I was very very sad. Up until the first snow (Thursday before Christmas) I was doing a really good job running outside. However, I fell twice. I have never fallen while running before and it happened twice in a period of about 3 weeks. Both times the ground appeared to be flat with no visible debris. I was running in the dark with a headlamp and felt like I could see everything. I don't know if I was just getting too tired and not picking my feet up enough or if the dark was messing with my depth perception a little. Anyhoo, I'm afraid to run outside now if there's any snow on the ground. If I can't stay upright on flat, dry sidewalks I don't even want to know what will happen on snow or hidden ice. The last time I fell I broke my fall with my face!

Last Friday I broke down and bought a new treadmill. I'm so excited about it but it won't be delivered until next Wednesday!!! Apparently every over-weight and out-of-shape person in the tri-state area rushes into their nearest sports equipment store this time of year to purchase the new and improved clothes rack. All the delivery people are backed up. Sigh. I'm trying to stay positive. I plan to run outside this weekend when I can run in the daylight. I'll do my Bob Harper DVD tonight and Tuesday night. Take Monday off and the treadie will be here on Wednesday!

Day 11 following the food plan. I feel good. There was a close call with a Butterfinger a couple days ago but other than that it has been relatively temptation free. I'm avoiding restaurants for at least a month. I'm treating this like early sobriety. If I don't have to be in a restaurant or around tempting non-plan foods then I should just stay away until I feel stronger.

I went to jail last night. I was reading a passage from an AA magazine to the inmates and it reminded me so much of what I am going through right now with food. I'm paraphrasing but it said something like, "I have to believe that all the people telling me how good they feel now and how worth it it was to stop is not a lie. I can't imagine being happy without alcohol [or SAD] but I see others are and I must have faith it will be the same for me." I can get through this and I have faith it will all be worth it. Freedom from food obsession would be the 2nd greatest (tied with first) gift I've ever been given in my life.

Yesterday I put all the fixin's for Million Bean Soup in the crock pot before work. I couldn't wait to get home and smell the house and dive right into some warm soup. I had to stop by the store and nothing even tempted me because I was so excited about my soup. I brought leftovers today for lunch. I plan to try another new recipe this weekend. My mom gave me the Forks Over Knives cookbook for Christmas. Everything looks so good! I made the Lotsa Vegetables Soup. It was good but I don't think I really like the cumin. I might cut back on that next time. The dill was good, though. I also plan to experiment with hummus this weekend. I'm trying to find some traditional midwestern spices my aunt might like. I plan to try a white bean as well. Then, if I like it, I'll make myself some hummus wraps using Romaine lettuce leaves (also from FOK cookbook).

I had oatmeal with blueberries and banana for breakfast. I have that everyday. I love it. I went to the Amish grocery store last weekend and bought a giant bag of oat meal for $4. It looked like I was planning to feed my pet pony or something. I also bought a huge bag of brown rice, 3 large bags of soup mixes (13-bean, Holiday mix, Harvest mix), spices, cous cous, and dates. It will last all winter and I spent $50. The dates were the big splurge. They cost $6. The soup mixes are just the beans, lentils, and rice with suggested recipes on the bag. I used the 13-bean mix to make my Million Bean Soup from Robin Robertson. Don't tell Robin I only used 13 beans.

Well, that's it for today. I'm looking forward to the weekend. I ran outside last Sunday and it was FREEZING! It was windy and that wind just slapped my face! I wished I had bought the running ski mask I had seen a few weeks back. All I could think about the whole time was getting home and sitting in front of the fire and how much I wanted my treadmill. It's not supposed to be that cold this weekend so I should be good. Still want the treadmill, though.

Have a good weekend everyone!

kkrichar

Postby mtns » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Sounds like you are doing great, both with the food and excercise. I love the mixed beans soup. I haven't made that in a long time. I need to make that again, my kids loved it.
Kathy
mtns

Postby Becky » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

Hi kk!

I've just finished reading through your journal, and really enjoyed seeing your journey, insights, struggles, and things you have done to overcome obstacles. Not just with this WOE, but also with giving up alcohol and smoking. You are an incredible writer!

Thank you for sharing so much about yourself with us other McDougallers; I really appreciate your honesty and openness.

Although I haven't had the kinds of issues with alcohol that many have, I did indulge in a couple glasses of wine each evening until a couple of months ago when I gave it up to help with my reflux. That was a big step, and hard to get out of that nightly ritual.

I am also a former smoker, so I completely relate to the struggles of giving that addiction up! :unibrow:

You've come a long way, congratulations, and keep up the good work!
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby kkrichar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks Mtns. It looks like the boards are really active. I was on the second page and I posted on Friday. I messed up my computer at home so I'm not doing much Internet activity at home now.

I had a good weekend. I'm champing at the bit to get my new treadmill!! Two more days!!! I ran outside on Friday using my new headlamp. I love it. It is definitely better than the old one. I plan to run again tonight.

I finally did my Bob Harper DVD last night. There's a weeny 20-minute workout and a super hard-core 1 hour workout. I did the weeny workout and still ended up flat on my stomach begging for mercy when I could not do another push-up. I am in sad condition. I was reading, I think it's John Larson's, Journal about the US Army Physical Fitness Test. I looked up the requirements for my gender and age. It looked pretty easy. However, I cannot do even 1 proper push-up or sit-up!! Not even 1!!! Dios Mio. Looks like I have some work to do.

I've never been able to do sit-ups easily. When I was a kid we did those Presidential Physical Fitness tests in school. I always passed those things easily. I could run, I could do the flexed arm hang (the girl equivalent of the chin up), the push-ups far beyond the minimum required to pass. I could even climb the rope all the way to ceiling without a struggle. But the sit-ups were always right on the line. I'd be straining as hard as I could to squeeze out one more sit-up right at the buzzer just to meet the minimum requirement to pass. Does anyone know why a fit, active, kid that can pass every other fitness test would struggle to do a sit-up? I've always wondered which muscle(s) are too weak on my body and how I can strengthen them. Right now I'm focusing on the Bob Harper DVD because it hits every core muscle (I think). It feels like it today anyway. I'm sore from my sad little 20 minute workout. It feels good, though.

Today is day 14 of following the food plan. So far it hasn't been a struggle but I've been playing it safe. I haven't been in a restaurant or around food I didn't prepare. Still, that hasn't stopped me in the past from heading over to the Canteen and buying bags of duty-free crap. Maybe something is different this time. I hope so. I had my usual oatmeal with blueberries and banana for breakfast. I'll have taco salad for lunch and Million Bean Soup for dinner. It's nice to have it all planned out and prepared. I can focus on other things.

Speaking of other things I should be doing my job. Hope all is well with everyone here.

kkrichar

Postby kkrichar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi Becky! Thanks for stopping by my journal. I thought the exact same thing about your writing when I read your journal!! It's so easy to read and follow your logic. You're very systematic in the way you lay out your message and that's consistent with the way I think. So, I really enjoy your journal. I hope I don't have to refer to it too often regarding my reflux issues but it's reassuring to know the information is all there.

Funny you mention smoking. I quit, for realz, in 2003 (I think) and I had a smoking dream last night! Crazy how that stuff stays around lurking in the backs of our minds. It's no wonder so many people fall back on old habits. Sigh. Keep moving forwar, right?

kkrichar

Thank you

Postby figpiglet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. The 12 Steps are saving my life too, with the food. Without them, I spin my wheels. Or perhaps, sink in quicksand would be a good descriptor. I am in a food recovery program too and my sponsor has helped me by supporting my 100% McDougall choices within the context of the food plan that everyone follows. I could work it in a low carb way like most in my program do, but I know better, thanks to Dr. McDougall. We have a contingent of vegans.....There are always good choices I can make.
When reading your post, I truly felt that I am not alone, that there are many out there who understand addiction and what it is truly like. I started McDougalling the first time in January 2000 and I regained it (ouch) due to lack of spiritual recovery. I have been back on the road to wellness through abstinence since August 2011. I had one 10 day relapse in March, then recommitted ( and how!)
I am grateful that I have felt better every step of the way back to a healthy weight. Have a great day, Jen
figpiglet

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Oh my goodness, how scary about the reflux! I can't even imagine the pain...but I'm glad you recognize it as a call from your body :)

Now we can all get back to eating sanely, eh? It feels real good.

Oh, and I can really relate to the sneaking thing, too. Is that an addiction thing? because it's a huge character flaw in me, whether food, or trying to get away with little sneaky things at work... :|
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Kelly,
I love your new posts. You sound like you're doing really well, and I've missed you around here. Glad you're back, and rockin' it!!!!!!
Kirsty
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Kirsty!! I feel really good and its great to be checking in daily.

Day 15. The difference between a trigger food and just plain good.

I was talking to a friend recently about how I make the decision to ban a food. It sounds complicated and it can be if you're not ready to be honest about a particular food. Basically, if I love something so much I can't stop eating it and then I think about it or something like it for hours afterward it goes on the list. If I'm full and I know I would still eat a particular food if I had it in my greedy little hands then it's on the list.

That sounds really depressing to some people. It gives the impression that anything good/enjoyable is off limits. It sounds extreme and unfulfilling. My aunt said something at Christmas about no food being "bad." I said I would consider something bad if it added no nutritional value and increased my risk for disease. I gave the example of my old pal the Double Stuf Oreo. She said, "yeah but it's good for the soul." My first thought was, "spoken like a true junkie." We forget how long human beings lived on this planet before processed foods. Were all those lives not worth living? Life only became worth living after the industrial revolution? It's such a crazy thing to say but I know she believes it. That's what life as an addict is like. Once you develop the taste for a drug or alcohol or junk food you just can't see life without it. It feels like it wouldn't be worth living. It would only result in pain. That's when you have to step back and try to remember a time when it wasn't like that. For many of us, there was never a time in our lifetimes when processed foods or baked goods with butter and eggs and whole milk didn't play at least some part in our diet. This is when we can look to others. Looking at human history tells us a lot and, fortunately, looking at the people here who have successfully navigated this road really helps me. I know that my fears about living a satisfying life without all the SAD and VAD choices are unfounded. They are driven by processes in my body triggered by hyper-paliative foods. It's a lie. I don't need these things to have a satisfying life. It is not good for my soul.

So, this morning I was walking into work thinking about my breakfast. I don't get up early enough to eat my breakfast at home so I eat it first thing when I get to the office. I have oatmeal with blueberries and banana every day. I never tire of it. I love it. I couldn't wait to get to my office so I could make it. I realized this is an example of food that's just plain good. I enjoy it. I look forward to it. But, when it's gone I never wish there had been more. I don't obsess about needing something else. I don't fight myself over grabbing more food at the Canteen. I'm simply done. I'm satisfied and stay that way until lunch. This is how I can live. Free from obsession over food. I can still experience enjoyment when I eat. It just doesn't have to create a raging battle inside my mind and body every time I do it.

All is peaceful and calm on the inside today. I love it.

One more day until my treadmill arrives!!! Woot!!!!

kkrichar

Postby eri » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Addiction vs. Good tasting, huh? I need to ponder that. Good to hear from you!
eri

Postby Becky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 pm

kkrichar wrote:Hi Becky! Thanks for stopping by my journal. I thought the exact same thing about your writing when I read your journal!! It's so easy to read and follow your logic. You're very systematic in the way you lay out your message and that's consistent with the way I think. So, I really enjoy your journal. I hope I don't have to refer to it too often regarding my reflux issues but it's reassuring to know the information is all there.

Funny you mention smoking. I quit, for realz, in 2003 (I think) and I had a smoking dream last night! Crazy how that stuff stays around lurking in the backs of our minds. It's no wonder so many people fall back on old habits. Sigh. Keep moving forwar, right?

Thanks for the nice words about my journal, kk! :nod: It really helps me to organize my thoughts and thus my actions by laying out any kind of scenario in a logical format. Writing is one of my tools for keeping me on track, here on my journal, and privately as well.

OMG, the smoking dreams!!! :eek: I still have them, and I haven't been a smoker for 31 years (well, except for the two year lapse I had 13 years ago, gad!). Anyway, in my dreams, I pick up a pack of cigarettes, I light one up, and get immediately freaked out, like, "Oh no, what am I doing?!?!?!" Then I start telling myself, "just because I had one cigarette doesn't mean I'm a smoker again, I can have one or two and that will be it!" But the whole time I'm so totally devastated that I'm doing this. I'm always so relieved to wake up and realize I am *not* a smoker again. Whew!

Yes, keep moving forward, that really is the key!! :nod:
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby kkrichar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Day 17. I feel really good. My new treadmill arrived yesterday and I took it for a spin. I was surprised how difficult it was. I've only run twice in the last 2 weeks and I guess I lost more fitness than I expected. The machine is great, though. Smooth ride. I'm sure I will catch up quickly.

Today I was thinking about what a "normal" aging process looks like. At Christmas the topic of food came up as it always does when I bring my own meals. My uncle said, "Other than the cancer I've had for the past 8 years and the 4 tumors I had removed my health is great. Why should I change anything?" I didn't mention the oxygen machine he uses to sleep at night or the Bell's Palsy that paralyzed the right side of his face or all the pain he experiences when he moves. His comment reminded me that so much of what we experience we assume to be a natural part of the aging process. It's not a sign of poor health it's just what happens when you're x age.

To the other extreme I fear I may put too many expectations on the McDougall program. I think every single ailment will go away and I'll be immune to disease and disability completely. I read a journal about a woman's journey to resolve her reflux issues and she mentioned that a lazy stomach flap can occur with age. It never occurred to me that any part of my issues wouldn't/couldn't be resolved by this WOE. I know my issues with reflux may resolve just fine but it got me thinking about normal aging processes and what is reasonable to expect for someone following a low-fat plant-based diet.

I guess it's not really important. When I've followed this plan 100% long enough for my body to heal what it can then I can focus on specific issues that remain. I have a hard time with uncertainty. I always want to know, in advance, everything I can expect but I don't really to need that now.

Looking forward to another great McD day!!

kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 pm

If we can look at Dr. and Mrs. McDougall, Dr. and Mrs. Esselstyn, Dr. and Mrs.T. Colin Campbell as examples of aging well by following this WOE, I think we can be very encouraged! No, we can't predict everything, but at least we can protect ourselves to the best of our ability. Good thought to ponder...and it also brings up the question of why wait another day to really commit to this lifestyle because the longer the wait, the more at risk we are!

Glad to see you doing so great! Happy to hear that your treadmill arrived and you like it. Yea!!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks Kirsty!

I am really focused on becoming more positive. I've been in a real emotional funk since before the election. I decided I've surrounded myself with way too much hostility and negativity via the news, Facebook and other social media. First, I checked out Gandhi's autobiographical search for the truth audio book. I believe I need to put the focus back on myself. I can't spend time feeling upset about what other people think, feel, write, or say. If I want a more peaceful and productive atmosphere I need to create one. Next, I committed to McDougall 100%. No whining. No feeling sorry for myself because the world doesn't make it easy for me to eat this way. No expecting everyone around me to fall in line because I desire it. Just do what I need to do and represent to others what I want to attract in my life. Third, I decided to find another audio book so I could always listen to something positive when I'm in the car. Someone here mentioned the book, "A Complaint Free World," by Will Bowen. I checked it out and have listened to it in the car for the past couple days. The goal is to go 21 days straight without complaining, criticizing or gossiping.

The author talks about the impact our thinking has on our health and bodies. What we repeatedly think about comes to fruition (self-fulfilling prophecy). When we talk about why things are harder for us than other people we actually make things harder for ourselves. I think this has been true for me regarding this WOE. I've talked about how my issues with food make following any food plan more difficult. I've talked about people bringing things to the office that I can't have, parties over-flowing with off-plan treats, social events centering on food filled with oil and dairy and other non-McD ingredients. I've talked about backlash from friends and family, conflicting information from the medical community and on and on and on. While I still believe everything I listed is true it doesn't help me to focus on them. Complaining about it won't make them go away. It won't help the person to whom I complain. So why am I talking about it at all?

I need to focus on what I want. Period. I want to be healthy. I want to eat a starch-based diet. The end. Not only do I want to be successful, in part, to be an example to others but my journey needs to be an example too. If all I do is talk about how difficult this WOE is given attitudes and behaviors in this country why would anyone else think it's possible to do. Even if I successfully achieve my goals they may still think it looked way too hard having watched me bitch and moan my way through the process.

The book I'm listening to described how one person's complaint can spread through an entire group and change the tenor of the conversation completely. He recited an old Monty Python sketch called the Four Yorkshiremen. It's about 4 wealthy men sitting at dinner, drinking expensive wine and chatting. It's very positive until one person mentions how hard things used to be. From there it devolves into a game of one-upmanship. I thought it was hilarious and something to think about. So, while it doesn't directly address food, I hope it makes you laugh and maybe it'll help us all remember how what we say impacts the people around us. Am I a good embassador for this WOE?

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL:
They won't!

kkrichar

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals