Fulenn

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn

Postby fulenn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 am

Okay, I just reread my last post and it sounds like one big excuse. I need to be real here: I did what worked at first, I messed around with it, and now it isn't working the same way. So I need to go back to what worked.

There.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Anna Green » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 am

Hey, I was reading your post about needing more veggies and the vegetable man in his colorful truck just drove by outside my house singing through a speaker "I've got watermelon", "I've got eggplant..."

You want me to send him your way? :-D

You have a wonderful healthy New Year!
Anna Green

Postby fulenn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Anna Green wrote:Hey, I was reading your post about needing more veggies and the vegetable man in his colorful truck just drove by outside my house singing through a speaker "I've got watermelon", "I've got eggplant..."

You want me to send him your way? :-D

You have a wonderful healthy New Year!

You have a vegetable truck?? How cool is that?! Send him on over! That is just the coolest thing, what a great idea.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Today is going well: had the salad that I planned on for lunch. Now to do the healthy thing this evening. :) I have not biked yet today.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 pm

I haven't posted here for the past three weeks, but today is one year since I began posting my meals in Roberta's Corner. It has helped me to stay on track when I didn't want to eat well and it has helped me to see trends in what I eat. I mentioned when I began this journal that I have a flour problem, but I also seem to "cheat" on the same kinds of things, one of them being chicken. I am going to try to tackle that now that I am eating food that I enjoy and that my body enjoys, too.

The weight is still coming off, but I am eating WAY too many beans and I am guessing that that is part of why I am losing so slowly. But it is still coming at 1-2 pounds each week, usually 1 pound. Right now it is averaging 11lbs per month. But really I lost only 10 pounds in the past 7 weeks. Most of it was the first few weeks. I can still live with that!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm not posting in my journal much anymore, but I am still McDougalling. I am so busy lately that I have not been walking daily like I wanted to. My DD and I try to get it in on weekends, though. Today I ate: b--oatmeal, l--spinach, sweet potato, rice, orange, d--boiled yellow potatoes, cabbage, several dried cranberries

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

I stopped at a restaurant for sushi this afternoon--mmmmm. Only one of my girls likes it, too, so we split it. Now I have risotto in the pressure cooker. It is easy to leave out the fat and make a tasty risotto.

I ate a muffin for breakfast yesterday because I didn't prepare ahead of time and ate what was at work. So I made sure to be ready today and had oatmeal.

I am surprised at how much of my food preparation included posting my menu in Roberta's Corner. It included all of my planning and, now that I am not posting anymore, I have been "winging" it more. I may end up continuing to post over there.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby kkrichar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Fulenn,

You sound good. How do you make your risotto? I'm in a try-new-recipes phase and would love to try risotto.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby fulenn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 pm

kkrichar wrote:Hi Fulenn,

You sound good. How do you make your risotto? I'm in a try-new-recipes phase and would love to try risotto.

Hi! Love your picture--you are looking great!

Risotto
2 cups arborio rice
5 cups vegetable broth
1 cup white wine (or another cup of veggie broth)

In pressure cooker: 1 chopped onion, 1 stalk thinly sliced celery, 2 tsp. garlic all sauteed together. Then add the rice, broth and wine to the pot. Put the lid on, turn the heat on. When the pressure cooker reaches pressure, set the time for 7 minutes. When the time is up, cool the pressure cooker (I put mine under cold water in the sink), open the lid, stir and enjoy.

Hope you enjoy! I love to add a pound of fresh mushrooms to mine, but my children do not like them. You could do that, though, if you wanted to.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby dlee » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

"I made a Farley's Bowl for dinner tonight: lettuce, carrots, strawberry slices from 3 berries, 3 crushed walnut halves, 1/2 sweet potato sliced, brown rice, canary beans. Really good, but I only made it a little more than 1/2 way through before getting full. Very full. I put the rest up for lunch tomorrow."

Fulenn
Sorry I know this is from an older post but I've just found your journal and was curious what the reference to Farleys Bowl is??
By the way congrats on your progress. It's been fun reading your journal, and the risotto sounds good too.Dlee
dlee

Postby fulenn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 pm

dlee wrote:"I made a Farley's Bowl for dinner tonight: lettuce, carrots, strawberry slices from 3 berries, 3 crushed walnut halves, 1/2 sweet potato sliced, brown rice, canary beans. Really good, but I only made it a little more than 1/2 way through before getting full. Very full. I put the rest up for lunch tomorrow."

Fulenn
Sorry I know this is from an older post but I've just found your journal and was curious what the reference to Farleys Bowl is??
By the way congrats on your progress. It's been fun reading your journal, and the risotto sounds good too.Dlee

Hi dlee! Thanks for visiting my journal. :)

A Farley's Bowl is just a type of eating that I learned when SactoBob was posting meals on his blog. His wife, Farley, said she began serving meals layered in bowls in order to reduce the work involved in making McDougall versions of traditional meals. She puts greens on the bottom of the bowl, then adds a scoop of brown rice, a few beans, veggies, berries (I like blackberries), a sweet potato, and Bob adds a few walnuts. That is a Farley's Bowl. I think I am the only one who calls it that, but I was inspired by how easy it was and want to remember where the idea, for me at least, came from.

When I am in a hurry, this seems to do the trick. She also made a roasted vegetable dish that is wonderful!

The risotto is my youngest daughters favorite right now. I'm really glad that I can make it quickly and easily in the pressure cooker.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 am

I thought I would post a picture of my lunch today.

It is cold and rainy here and the orange and sweet potato look so bright! Have a great day, everyone!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Here is my breakfast this morning, oatmeal with strawberries and maple syrup:

Still having cravings at work when I pass the cafeteria and smell the food cooking, but on the occasions that I have taken a bite of a friends food, the smell was much better than the food was. LOL

My strawberries this morning were wonderful! The liquid in the container is NOT maple syrup, but water from the oatmeal. I only put 1/2 T of the syrup in, it is the darker area in the upper right of the picture. Just didn't want anyone thinking I'm out here pouring 1/2 cup of syrup on my McDougall breakfast. :)

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby dlee » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 pm

fulenn wrote:
dlee wrote:"I made a Farley's Bowl for dinner tonight: lettuce, carrots, strawberry slices from 3 berries, 3 crushed walnut halves, 1/2 sweet potato sliced, brown rice, canary beans. Really good, but I only made it a little more than 1/2 way through before getting full. Very full. I put the rest up for lunch tomorrow."

Fulenn

Hi dlee! Thanks for visiting my journal. :)

A Farley's Bowl is just a type of eating that I learned when SactoBob was posting meals on his blog. His wife, Farley, said she began serving meals layered in bowls in order to reduce the work involved in making McDougall versions of traditional meals. She puts greens on the bottom of the bowl, then adds a scoop of brown rice, a few beans, veggies, berries (I like blackberries), a sweet potato, and Bob adds a few walnuts. That is a Farley's Bowl. I think I am the only one who calls it that, but I was inspired by how easy it was and want to remember where the idea, for me at least, came from
Thanks that clears it up Fuelenn. It sounds very much like the lunch I take to my studio everyday. I have a sort of round tupperware type bowl I fill up with salad and top with baked potatoes, rice and veggies or beans what ever I have left over in the frig.That's a good name for It a Farleys bowl. :D PS I love freshmushrooms and rice too.
Are any of sactoBob's recipes still lingering on the net or do all o his posts disappear when he left ?Dlee.
Fulenn
dlee

Postby fulenn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Here is a link to SactoBob's blog from October. http://sactobob.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html It really doesn't have but a couple of recipes, but there are a lot of pictures of what his family eats. His wife, Farley, used to post here as gabagirl and her posts and recipes are still available here.

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals