Dissolution's Solution

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dissolution's Solution

Postby carollynne » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Vola: Mushroom cloud had me smiling to myself for real!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby nicoles » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 pm

carollynne wrote:Vola: Mushroom cloud had me smiling to myself for real!

Yes, Vola, I LOL'd!

Dissolution, I agree, the women-to-men ratio in the Journal section is most likely as you described, and your journal has more drama than Downton Abbey - plus you are very polite and considerate to all who comment here - I am not surprised at all that so many of us here follow your progress and comment!

I think I really need to step up my Journaling game - gotta go drum up some drama. :wink:

Seriously though, it is also inspiring to see that you persist in spite of the drama and resistance in your home.

Interesting about the Chiro giving you some nutritional advice. I Have a story for you - just happened the other day, as a matter of fact.

I went to a chiro/osteopath to try it out - why not? I have psoriatic arthritis, and when things were really bad I would sit stock-sticll in all sorts of contortions to avoid causing unexpected jolts of pain; I figure I am waaaaay outta wack now, let me try getting adjusted and see what happens.

Of course, I have to mention the arthritis in the initial meeting - it is relevant - and the chiro/osteo lady gets this look in her eyes and says, "I can really help you with the dietary aspects of that..."

There I am, on the table - feeling a little vulnerable so I say, "I am already following a diet that seems to be working very well for me." Subtext: mindyabidness.

She does not see my subtext, plows ahead and is, of course, a devotee of the Nourishing Traditions school of thought, aka Sally Fallon and the Weston A. Price crowd. (I think Weston Price was an interesting, observant and original fellow, but I do not agree with the Foundations interpretations of his nutritional observations.)

She begins to tell me that I REALLY NEED more saturated fat for my connective issue health <crack> and that I must not worry at all about high cholesterol <yank> and as she talks I keep trying to say things like "ethical vegan" and "Scientific proof, please, from sources that aren't the Weston A . price Foundation" and she keeps on going and gives me the most disapproving looks and glares.

At the end of it , she said it was nice to meet me, but she could not work with someone so inflexible about their diet and health.

OK, fine by me, I said. :roll:

I hope they all aren't like that - the adjustment itself felt good!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby bebe9001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 am

bebe9001

Postby Dissolution » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:30 am

It's a pretty bold move for this doctor to say that Dr. Esselstyn is wrong. Dr. Esselstyn has published peer reviewed studies, and sites many other scientific studies in his book. The article you linked advocates consuming olive oil and butter, and also meat. He provides no scientific evidence what-so-ever. There's no studies or anything supporting his opinions.

Checking into Dr. Dwight Lundell will turn up that he's selling a couple of books. I have NO problem with that what-so-ever. He's also Chief Medical Officer for Asante. A Company the sells a product called HeartShot™ (contains a scientific blend of Omega-3, CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) and antioxidants* designed to give you the essential nutrition you need to assist in the fight against chronic inflammation.)

When you order HeartShot™, you also get:

• Ability to set up an Autoship and have products delivered to your doorstep each month (can be cancelled or changed anytime).
• Build an Asantae business and generate income simply by sharing our products with other people.
• 1 year online Asantae Office business management and marketing system
• 1 year personalized Web site (to sell products and enroll new people)

Further research into Dr. Dwight Lundell will turn up;

A retired Gilbert surgeon who had been disciplined and warned for poor patient care and incomplete records in the past decade has been stripped of his license after the Arizona Medical Board determined missteps led to the deaths of at least six patients.

The 12-member oversight board took away Dr. Dwight C. Lundell's license last week after a five-year review of his prior disciplinary history and an inquiry into allegations of poor patient care and record-keeping.

Lundell had worked as a cardiothoracic surgeon in the Valley for about 25 years, performing more than 5,000 heart surgeries. State records show he was scrutinized in the last decade because of a series of patient or family complaints.

Thanks for the link, but please don't fall for this kind of junk science / marketing.
Dissolution

Postby Dissolution » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 am

carollynne She asked me last night if I thought she was a fat cow. I told her I just considered her condition to be "pre-vegan". That got me a look, but no objects thrown...lol

nomikins When she first told me I wasn't allowed to weigh less than her, I told her she had a 30 pound head start and she'd better get a move on. I think her lead is down to 10 pounds. So we'll probably find out what happens, sooner, rather than later.

Vola It's a fair question. She's a very passionate and loving woman when the subject of food or science is not involved. Science has always been a weak point for her. Not in that she just doesn't understand it, she also refuses to believe it. We've actually had arguments about the distance from the Earth to the Sun. She doesn't understand that you can actually measure something like that without a tape measure.

She's not stupid, but she does seem to get angry with me when I try to share knowledge with her. Maybe it comes across as arrogant to her. It's like she's having a contest with me about who knows more, she already realizes that she has lost, but is just trying to keep me from scoring additional points.

Maybe that's part of the whole problem, the one area she was far superior to me was cooking. That was her "big" thing. Now I don't eat what she cooks.

Mushroom cloud....lol

nicoles Your chiropractor story is just amazing. She tells you to completely alter your diet, you ask for scientific evidence, she can't provide and and refuses to treat you anymore and YOU'RE inflexible? It's almost like a scene from a sit-com.

Had this conversation yesterday with a 325 Lbs man I haven't seen in 6 months. He asked me about how much and how, then of course he asked THE question;

Fat guy: Where do you get your protein?
Me: Don't you run a dairy farm?
Fat guy: Yes.
Me: Let me ask you this, where do your cows get THEIR protein?
Fat guy: (thinks for a couple of seconds) Oh yeah! Plants! I never thought of it that way. I could never give up my meat though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been warming up here. Starting to get spring fever. I've got a bunch of vegetable plants in the dining room that I started from seeds, under a grow light, waiting for me to move them to the outside.

I've also been watching Craigslist for stuff. I've got some play-around-with money, and am getting a bit more in another month. So I've been trying to decide what to purchase.

A bike is on the list, probably a mountain bike. I could get a cheap one from Wal-mart, or maybe a nicer one from a bike dealer, I'm watching for used ones on craigslist.

I was walking around a sporting goods store the other day and spotted kyaks. I thought, hmmmm I have lived less than half a mile from the Shenandoah river for almost 14 years and have never been on it or in it.

Golf clubs, still not sure about the whole golf thing, probably need to try and play and see if I like it.

Oooo...Tennis...I forgot about that one.

The wife and I are going to a friend's birthday party on Friday night. Which means we'll have a couple of hours alone in the car. Think I will hit her up with the health club / smoking options.
Dissolution

Postby toadfood » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:44 am

Ooh, the Shenandoah is wonderful. Try out the whitewater this spring and summer! I had so much fun out there capsizing my canoe.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby VegSexy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 am

Your kayaking comment has inspired my reply.

I'm wanting to try stand-up paddling boarding. There are boards made specifically to do yoga on (See here: http://bogaboards.com/boga-yoga-fitness-paddleboard) I see people SUP off the coast in New Hampshire near Hampton Beach. It looks like so much fun and would be a great way to test out my core from doing all this twisty-turney-yes-you-can-do-one-more-plank yoga.

When I talk to my boyfriend about this, I emphais "try" instead of "buy". He's less apt to roll his eyes at me when I say it that way.

Love your blog....
~VegSexy

A guy has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his nose.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."
VegSexy

Postby bebe9001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Dissolution - What I thought you would enjoy about the article was (1) how much of what this guy recommends is the same as what Dr. McDougall recommends, (2) that he admits that diet can help cure heart disease, (3) the fact that he flat out says that he and the establishment were wrong - for years, and (4) his description of the effects of chronic inflammation (which was new to me). I agree that the dietary fat recommendations are different but other than that everything else seems to be strikingly similar.

I have never met two people who agree on everything (much less two doctors), so I guess the difference did not bother me as much as it seems to have bothered you. When I read the article, I saw a strong endorsement that what you are doing can help you cure your heart disease.

So, I hope no offense was taken. I actually thought the article would be encouraging. I am very new to discussion boards like this, and I will remember in the future to be a little more thorough when posting.

Congratulations again on your successes!

P.S. My personal experience is that Dr. McDougall is right on the total amount dietary fat issue also.
bebe9001

Postby Dissolution » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:32 pm

bebe9001 wrote: What I thought you would enjoy about the article was (1) how much of what this guy recommends is the same as what Dr. McDougall recommends,

From the Amazon review of his book: The Cure for Heart Disease: Truth Will Save a Nation

Go on a high protein, low carb, med fat diet, but make sure it is the right fat, like olive oil or coconut oil. He sees sugar and refined carbs as a large cause of inflammation.

He recommends lots of vegetables, fruit and protein (meat and dairy is fine) but his emphasis is on avoiding the carbohydrates and the wrong fats.

So the diet he is suggesting is pretty far from the McDougall diet. Also Dr. McDougall is on the same page with Dr. Esselstyn about maintaining total cholesterol below 150 to prevent and reverse heart disease. Dr. Esselstyn has proven his method works in scientific studies. Dr. Lundell can offer no such proof.

(2) that he admits that diet can help cure heart disease

I agree, just not with the diet he recommends.

(3) the fact that he flat out says that he and the establishment were wrong - for years

Going against the establishment, while on the surface seems noble, is a required marketing tool for most alternative medicine businesses.

(4) his description of the effects of chronic inflammation (which was new to me).

That was kind of my point in debunking this guy. Anybody that tries to tell me something new about health and nutrition had better have some science to back it up. This guy didn't cite a single study or piece of evidence.

Did I doubt the movie Forks Over Knives when I first saw it? You bet I did. I approached everything Campbell, Esselstyn and McDougall said with a very skeptical mind. I did my own research and checking into them before I decided they were telling the truth.

I'm sorry but I think Dr. Lundell is a scam artist at best.

I agree that the dietary fat recommendations are different but other than that everything else seems to be strikingly similar.

What he says is;

What you can do is choose whole foods your grandmother served and not those your mom turned to as grocery store aisles filled with manufactured foods. By eliminating inflammatory foods and adding essential nutrients from fresh unprocessed food, you will reverse years of damage in your arteries and throughout your body from consuming the typical American diet.

This is almost verbatim from the Weston A Price Foundation. Which had been debunked so many times it's not even funny anymore. The WaPF also does not believe that cholesterol is harmful.

I have never met two people who agree on everything (much less two doctors), so I guess the difference did not bother me as much as it seems to have bothered you. When I read the article, I saw a strong endorsement that what you are doing can help you cure your heart disease.

It's sometimes fun to compare McDougall, Esselstyn, Fuhrman, Barnard, Greger and Novick. They don't always agree, but they are all mostly on the same page with the science. Lundell recommends meat and dairy, essentially low carb (Atkins), which has never been able to hold up to scientific scrutiny.

I can see how it would have been easy to see similarities. I've been doing research on this enough that there are certain code phrases the stand out to me. As soon as I see someone use the term "cholesterol theory", I know they are getting ready to recommend butter and meat.

So, I hope no offense was taken. I actually thought the article would be encouraging. I am very new to discussion boards like this, and I will remember in the future to be a little more thorough when posting.

No offense taken at all. I'm sorry if I came across a little abrasive. I was in a little bit of a hurry this morning and felt I needed to comment on your link.

Congratulations again on your successes!

Thank you!

P.S. My personal experience is that Dr. McDougall is right on the total amount dietary fat issue also.

Have you read any of his books, or his newsletter articles. McDougall and his compatriots are very careful with supplying footnotes to the studies they are getting their information from. I think Campbell had over 700 footnotes referenced in The China Study. Now, if I decide to look at a book about health or nutrition, the first thing I do is turn to the back and check to see how many references there are.

Another fun source of information is http://nutritionfacts.org/ Dr. Greger summarizes the latest in nutritional research into short and fun videos. It's a great resource.

Thanks again for reading my journal and taking the time to post.
Dissolution

Postby bebe9001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Almost every day I tell the people I work with that I reserve the right to get smarter. :) We work on a large project with a lot of moving pieces, and the guidance we are supposed to follow changes almost daily. Actually, the project reminds me a lot of trying to figure out how to eat healthy now that I think about it…

I did not look up this guy’s credentials and other works. In fact, I read the article early this morning right before I rushed out the door to work and apparently did not read it carefully enough.

What I thought I read was an article that advocated eating few to no processed foods, replacing simple sugars with complex carbohydrates, and more whole foods. Reading it again, I see your points.

Yes, I have been reading a lot by Dr. McDougall recently. I actually think that is one of the reasons I read the article to agree with him more than it does - if that makes any sense.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail. It is a good reminder that sometimes we want to see confirmation of our point of view so much that we miss the other person’s point entirely. Course corrections are always welcome.

Now, I am off to continue my quest to get smarter, stronger, faster, better, healthier, etc.
bebe9001

Postby Dissolution » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:33 am

toadfood Some of my #1son's friends are guides on the river. I've been on the Cheat river (with class 5 rapids) and always thought the little rapids around here would not be much fun. In a kayak though, I think it would be a blast.

VegSexy Yoga on a surfboard?!?! Really? Wow, that's like some serious Super Vegan Ninja Powers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I was buying an electronics accessory yesterday. I turned down the leather case. It was nicer, but it was leather. This is getting weird. And I don't know why it seems weird to me to NOT want to wrap my phone in the flesh on another creature. My family and friends would all be horrified if I bought a dog skin phone cover, so why did cows and pigs have to lose the species lottery?

The wife thinks I'm in full blown mid-life crisis, and expects me to come walking in the door any day with a 25 year old on my arm. Maybe I am having a mid-life crisis. I personally think it's more of a just discovered a new life celebration, but maybe that's what all guys having a mid-life crisis think.

We're going to friend's for a birthday dinner / party tonight. The wife is freaking out about what I'm going to eat over there. They know I'm on a low fat vegan diet. If they prepare something for me, I'll eat it. If there is nothing for me to eat, I won't eat. It's not like I don't fast on purpose once a week. I will have a small piece of birthday cake, probably without frosting. I'm in complete control of what I eat or don't eat....no problems.

The close by gym with the pool that the wife and I tried out in November is under new management. It's now a cross-fit club. They want $60 a month for gym (they've removed most of the weight equipment) and pool access. It's $120 a month for the cross-fit membership. That seems a little steep for a gym with barely any equipment and is pretty run down. The $65 a month gym that's 30 minutes away is brand new, huge (8 lane 25 yard heated indoor pool and a 3 lane 1/10 mile indoor track). Still, I think I will be fine at the $20 a month place. We'll see tonight what the wife chooses.

Happy Friday everyone!
Dissolution

Postby nomikins » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 am

Wow - $120 a month for crossfit is cheap! Go for it! I. Love. Crossfit. You will get ripped so fast your head will spin, I just got back into crossfit and the gains in strength and conditioning are nothing short of amazing. I strongly urge you to give it a try.

Crossfit has given me the fastest gains in fitness and strength over any other workout I have ever done, hands down. It makes your entire body strong, making you functionally fit for everything you do in life.

Please consider it. You are going to thank me later. :wink:
nomikins

Postby nicoles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:18 am

Dissolution wrote:I was buying an electronics accessory yesterday. I turned down the leather case. It was nicer, but it was leather. This is getting weird. And I don't know why it seems weird to me to NOT want to wrap my phone in the flesh on another creature. My family and friends would all be horrified if I bought a dog skin phone cover, so why did cows and pigs have to lose the species lottery?

:lol: I have HAD this experience - and I used to loooove leather bags and shoes. No more. :lol:

Dissolution wrote:The wife thinks I'm in full blown mid-life crisis, and expects me to come walking in the door any day with a 25 year old on my arm.

Only time will reassure that this will not happen.

Dissolution wrote:Still, I think I will be fine at the $20 a month place. We'll see tonight what the wife chooses.

I hope the conversation goes smoothly. :-D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby VegSexy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:52 am

Super Vegan Ninja Powers...

You know, I was taking culinary classes at a local community college last year, so I do have sharp knives and a chef coat...

I don't think your having a mid-life crisis. I think you're having a great time rediscovering yourself and feeling great!

I love the sound of your wife. She sounds like a lovely, caring woman that has typical insecurities like some of us woman-folk. This morning my boyfriend was telling me he doesn't think I'm "fat and ugly". Words that often come out of my mouth on a regular basis.

Just love the stuffin' out of her!
~VegSexy

A guy has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his nose.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."
VegSexy

Postby Adrienne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:03 pm

You can tell your wife you already had your mid-life crisis: your heart attacks! :)
Adrienne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals