Whatsoever Things Are Good

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Whatsoever Things Are Good

Postby SactoBob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Lori,
Here is Jeff's plate test. It is a great test because it is so easy to do and so quickly reveals if you are doings too many processed foods overall:

JeffN wrote:But what is more important and what I feel to be the most important test, is what I call the "plate test." Very few people know about it yet it is one of the most effective tests and simple and easy to do and very inexpensive. You can even do it at home.

Here is how you do it.

When you sit down to eat each meal, look at your "plate" and see if it passes this "test", the "Plate Test."

Are at least 95% of the calories on your plate coming from unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes? Are there at least 12-15 grams of fiber coming from whole natural foods? Does it meet my guidelines for sodium? Are any "exceptions" being kept to less than 5% of calories?

If your meal passes this "Plate Test", then I think that is the most effective test you can ever have done and the best indicator of your future health and longevity.

:)

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD

I definitely feel your pain about the chocolate bar. The time when you are withdrawing from the bad SAD foods is really tough. If you get feeling too bad, click on Doug Lisle's Pleasure Trap presentation and be assured that this does not last that long, and that the long term reward for getting this stuff out of your life is awesome. You have some other materials there and on the way, and those can help too. Watching the DVDs will keep your resolve in the front of your mind.

Your mind is capable of playing a lot of tricks on you to convince you that you NEED that chocolate bar, and that something awful could happen if you don't eat it. You need to find a way to talk back to that voice, and I think you will find a way. I found it best not to debate in my mind if I wanted something back. I had some set rituals that I set to. Watch the DVD, take a walk, practice music, read a healthy book. Take your mind off of it worked well for me. Whatever works for you is great.

Finally, thanks for all your courtesy and openness and willingness to try. You have the courage to try this, and some days that means the world to me. You want to get better and you are going to get better. That gives me a lot of hope and enjoyment.
SactoBob

Postby f1jim » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:57 pm

There is a feeling of accomplishment and pride in overcoming something like these cravings. It's a personal accomplishment that will mean almost nothing to others but the world to us internally. Stopping the process of or own deterioration and starting the process of rebuilding and better health is so rewarding, I can think of little to match it. Whatever it takes to get over the hump and moving forward is worth it. Haven't met anyone that didn't feel that way looking back.
Go for the glow!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby LoriJenny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks Bob and Jim, your thoughts and comments are so encouraging to me. Whatever it takes to stick to the plan...it will so be worth it! I think not debating going "off plan" in my mind is a good idea...distraction or reading a healthy book or watching a relevant dvd...going on a walk are all strategies I can use. I also really like the concept of filling up on vegies and fruits and killing the cravings by giving the body what it actually needs. I did watch the Pleasure Trap link today and it was really interesting. He really makes it fun and entertaining (and wow, such great artwork!! lol)...but such good information. The difference between happiness and pleasure...happiness coming from striving to reach worthwhile goals in life...pleasure very temporary and even interfering with happiness.
I had my rice and vegies tonight and made a big portion of steamed vegies. I was so full I could not eat my apple! The rice/vegie steamer I have worked just fine, I thought it was gonna be too big to use for a smaller portion of rice, but actually it worked great :)
LoriJenny

Postby blondie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Jenny, stopped in to see how your day was and wish you well. Congrats on the weight loss!

Thank you Bob, for posting the list and the plate test information! I've been seeing my weight loss slow down lately (only lost 4 lbs. in Sept. after a few weeks plateau in August, and now plateaued again for the past 3 weeks) so I've really been examining my own habits to see if there are things I should be doing differently. This past week, I moved from regular plan to MWL and am hoping that will help me to get my weight loss going again.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby f1jim » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 pm

I think you have it. For me, I just visualize the type of person I want to be. The person that doesn't give in to any temptation that comes in front of me. The person with the lifestyle choices that don't allow little bits of junk to invade their plan. Then I simply live out my life as if I were that person. Do it enough and you are. Do it enough and it's truly lifestyle and habit. Every cheat destroys that image of who and where I want to be. My brain knows it at some level no matter how much I try to justify them. Even though this person is just a conjured image I become that image I am focused on. I realize that sounds rather bizarre but it works.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby SactoBob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Lori,
It's great to see you going so well. It sounds like you are figuring things out very well for yourself.

I was also fascinated with Doug Lisle's comparison of the different brain circuits for pleasure and happiness. I really didn't know that psychologists had discovered the separate physiological explanation for happiness. It makes sense.

The happy people are the ones who have made a series of good decisions, avoided the pitfalls, and in solid position to pass their DNA into the next generation. Certainly healthy eating is one of best things to do, and I think it plays a big part in my own happiness.

As I get older, I also see a lot of unhappy people who are doing no more than reaping what they sowed over many years. I would not have thought that the happiness circuits in the brain had their own separate chemical pathways. It is really interesting and fits exactly with my observations.

And happiness in my opinion is the one thing that you cannot fake or find a substitute for. I found that my happiness increased a lot when I first started making healthy changes to my diet, because I was doing the right thing - before my body started changing much. I think that you will find Dr. Lisle's other lectures on the DVD really great too.
SactoBob

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 pm

167.6 BP: 116/77 :nod:

Day Five?? Losing track :) That is good, because this is a lifestyle not a diet.

B: Oatmeal/walnut/pear/jujubee
L: 3 Bean Chili/apple (didnt end up going to the teachers lunch at all, did not have time)
D: Brown Jasmine Rice/Steamed Asparagus/2 oz. almonds
Ex: Walked 2 miles

I did not feel well at all at times today. I felt downright ill...nauseated, headache, sweating...yucky!! I just kept thinking "it's okay, my body is detoxing....soon I will feel better". I did just fine with the food, because of being busy and also just feeling a bit nauseated. Probably my best food day yet!! Maybe that means I will feel good tomorrow?? I hope so.

I went to Trader Joes today and found canned beans with only the beans, water and salt. I didn't see any that were unsalted, but I figured I can rinse these and be okay, bp is not really an issue for me at the moment...so hopefully they will be fine?? While I was there I noticed a man and his wife...seems he had had a stroke perhaps...he only looked about 55 or so. He was struggling to speak and in a wheelchair. I felt so bad for him, and glad for this choice I have made to live this way. With my cholesterol as high as it is, I really need to keep in mind why I am doing this and what could happen if I don't.

Bob and Jim, these ideas that you are sharing about visualization and happiness have been in my mind all day. When I did want a candy bar I thought, "do I want to be the type of person who gives in to every temptation?" and "Do I want to strive for pleasure or happiness?" So, I really appreciate your thoughts, and think of them throughout my day.

Hi blondie!! Thanks for stopping in a reading my journal :) I love the way we can all help and motivate each other here...congrats on your weight loss as well!!
LoriJenny

Postby SactoBob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Way to hang tough, Lori. Transition symptoms can be pretty tough. Dr. Fuhrman says that the worse you have been eating, the worse the symptoms when you start to eat well.

My symptoms were only really bad for a week or two, and the worst of it was over in a few days. Soon you will notice the days getting better, then a lot better, and then super. Your body and brain can send you a lot of phony signals during this time.

Do make sure to eat if you feel hungry. Eat a lot of good food if it lessens the symptoms. Make sure that good food is available when you need it. You might try being good to yourself in some other way, like getting a good massage therapist to work on you. Anything it takes.

What you are doing now is putting money in the bank, and into a great investment that is going to pay you back for the rest of your life. You're getting rid of that addiction, so feel good about this pain. Remember, that no matter how bad the symptoms, eating healthy never hurt anybody.

You are eating a lot more fiber than your body is used to, and that can be a problem too. But you will soon adjust.
SactoBob

Postby carollynne » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 pm

LoriJenny, wow, you are doing super duper, and I agree with all the great advice you are getting from the wise ones here. I loved reading your postings and theirs for you.
You will make it, and just think of all the rewards of better health, lower chol, etc. Funny, my chol is now 148 for the Total, but HBp is still with me, so I am at it too. Plants foods will heal us both!
I do a lot of praying thru craving time, and remember that all that I remember is not the case anymore, in other words, all that glitters is not gold. Adn think of the alternatives we have to face.... procedures, los of independence, and ruined health. All for what?? a stinkin candy bar or some SAD food item?? not a snowball's chance in hades is that going to happen to me anymore!! go for the whole 9 yards!! it is attainable to us all!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:24 am

Yesterday was not so good. The start of the downfall was me forgetting my lunch, and then being super busy at work, so that at the end of the day, I was so hungry I felt ill. Got a burrito at Taco Bell, a bean one...but still, knew there was probably fat added to the beans and the tortilla :( It tasted like it too, not nearly as good as the beans I have at home. Then my dil offered me chocolate...so not a horrible day, but not a banner day either. The good news is...that was yesterday...and today is a new day. :)

For breakfast this morning I'm having a delicious bowl of oatmeal and fruit. I've got the Farmer's Market and CSA box to look forward to and I"m going to make more of my beloved 3 bean chili! It's 3 days until I turn 49, and I'm thinking that my 49th year will be the best one ever :) A year of health, and real happiness.

Carollynne thanks so much for sharing those thoughts...I read and re-read all the posts here because they are so encouraging to me. It is interesting that my bp responded immediately to this woe, but the cholesterol is more of a struggle...and you are just the opposite...but this is the path to health for both of us!!

Bob, I have had some other digestive symptoms too but I just didn't feel like posting about those :o I feel bad about yesterday...but it just reinforces the idea that planning is so important...and I probably need to have a plan for forgetting my lunch! The problem is at school I just don't have time to go out and get something because we are a few miles from anything and we only have 35 minutes. Maybe there is some type of packaged food I could bring to keep in my office for just such times. Maybe some of the packaged McDougall soups???

On with Saturday, a brand new day with no mistakes in it :)
LoriJenny

Postby blondie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Lori,
Here are a few ideas for things you could keep at work for emergencies -- if you have a microwave you can make hot water -- a gladware bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit, add hot water and stir, let sit until the water is absorbed, microwave rice bowls (available in the rice aisle at the grocery store) with canned veggies and/or beans, Dr. McDougall soups.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby RAS » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:20 am

Happy Birthday!You deserve the best.Treat youself good today!BUT do it the McDougall way. RAS
RAS

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 am

Happy Birthday Day!!!

Go do something fun, you deserve it.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 am

Hippo Birdy Two Ewes :lol: remember that card?

Do have a terrific day! I started this when I was 48, too, so now that I'm heading to 51, I know my 50's are the start of my most healthy, most radiant time of my life :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby SactoBob » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:02 am

Happy Birthday Lori,
Sorry about your day of chocolate/Taco Bell. Most people make errors on their way to healthy eating, and there is no reason to feel bad about yourself, which is a common response.

On the other hand, it's not good to just say you are starting fresh again without analyzing what happened. I see what I consider to be some errors in your analysis, and they are important errors which, if repeated, could keep you from getting where you want to be.

What you experienced IMO was simply a case of your giving in to your addictions. You were feeling bad, and knew a hit of SAD food would make you feel better. That is how addiction works. Other than the withdrawal symptoms, which can be bad, I know, there was no reason to eat a Taco Bell burrito or a piece of chocolate. The option of last resort of course is to simply skip lunch. There is no danger in that, and missing a meal is not a big deal once you are experiencing hunger rather than withdrawal symptoms/toxic hunger.

The other thing is finding a place where you could get a piece of fruit, a baked potato, a plain salad, something like that. Your addiction will supply lots of reasons why you need some SAD food like chocolate. But all those reasons are bogus. Although the SAD food relieves the withdrawal symptoms, and makes you feel good in the moment, it really sets you back. Like any addiction, that piece of chocolate fed the craving for more chocolate. So realize that you are dealing with an addiction/withdrawal issue, and not truly an issue of memory lapse or something like that. You Doug Lisle DVD should be of some help there. Also read the Fuhrman material on addiction. You are just going to have to tough it out over some days to get through the withdrawal symptoms, and I know it isn't pleasant.

Try some different tactics and I think you will succeed. I know that you can - but you are in a dangerous time right now. It is easy to fall into a pattern of excuses that can lapse into multiple years. The excuses have to go, and go soon. Better planning can help, but you always have to have the last resort be to skip a meal rather than give in to SAD. Remember that missing a meal is no big deal and will also accelerate your weight loss. There is nothing wrong with suffering some during your transition to healthy eating, and it may be required. One thing you might try if you forget your lunch again is to have a book or DVD on health to occupy your time. Another thing is to consider that the act of forgetting your lunch indicates that you don't have the food transition at the top of your priorities right now. During the transition, it needs to be a top priority, because the powers of food addiction are very strong.

Hopefully, this will be a great week for you, and remember that there are some great feelings on the other side of that addiction barrier.
SactoBob

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals