October - Landog's challenges!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Saturday, Oct. 8

Postby landog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:25 pm

One of my goals today was to take pictures of everything I eat. But, when I took my son swimming I took some pictures of him and I lost my lunch pictures.

Don't you hate it when you lose your lunch?

Another goal was to make a better effort at upping the vegetables and not over-eating the starches.

So, for lunch I started with a salad. Then I made a full plate that was half spinach and half of a blend of peas, beans and baby corn. There was no more room on that plate. It was pretty filling. Only after that I had my potatoes - two boiled potatoes. Actually, that picture survived:

For dinner, I tried an idea that I got from watching SactoBob's Ocotober meals - where he starts with a bed of greens. So, I started with a plate full of leaf lettuce, added 1 cup of cooked brown rice and topped it with fresh salsa. I also had some corn and green beans.

It was a lot to eat, but I thought I might want more, so I added a salad at the end - iceburg lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots.

I had a late evening banana, too.

So, I had a good day with food, and got some swimming in.

Change can be good!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Re: October - Landog's challenges!

Postby RAS » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:04 am

Your meals look good.Sorry you lost your lunch! :eek: Is it warm enough in Ohio to swim in Oct.?Your schedule is busy! Stay healthy.RAS
RAS

Postby landog » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:27 am

RAS wrote:Is it warm enough in Ohio to swim in Oct.?
While it was warm enough yesterday - a beautiful sunny day with a high of 81 degrees - the outdoor pools all close down at the end of August. I have a son with multiple disabilities, includiing cerebral palsy - and I take him to an indoor pool at the fitness center where I work. It's a nice work out for both of us!

It was funny yesterday. The 3 story parking garage there has a track on top of it, with trees, grass and benches. I had packed a snack for my son and after swimming we went on top of the parking garage to enjoy the unusually nice weather. This is at closing time for the fitness center, and the security guard thought we had left. When we went to leave, we saw that we had been locked into the garage! I had already had my son in the car, so it was get out the wheelchair, get him out and go hunting for the securiy guard. So, we learned that they lock the parking garage at closing time.

Here's a view from on top of the parking garage:Image
landog

Postby blondie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:14 am

Your son is handsome and that sure looks like a beautiful park on top of the parking garage -- what an awesome idea that was! Wish more city planners incorporated ideas like that into buildings.

And your food looks great! I often have salads with rice and fatfree refried beans on them, topped with salsa it is so delicious! Keep up the good work!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Chile » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 am

I actually like mine in reverse: the hot food on the bottom (mashed potatoes, brown rice, etc.) with the salad on top. Yesterday at Sweet Tomatoes, I combined the two ideas, though: mashed sweet potato on bottom, then salad, with hot soup poured over the top. Delish!
Chile

Postby Adrienne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 am

Landog your food looks great! Do your kids follow the McD diet? If I remember correctly your daughter posted here years ago for a while, as she had health issues she was trying to resolve.
Adrienne

Postby landog » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Adrienne wrote:Landog your food looks great! Do your kids follow the McD diet? If I remember correctly your daughter posted here years ago for a while, as she had health issues she was trying to resolve.
Wow - good memory!

My oldest son is 30 and he is aware of elements of an Esselstyn diet. He has attended Dr. Esselstyn lectures with me. He generally tends to eat more plant-based, but is not following the McD diet and will eat meats on occasion.

My daughter is 26, is married, and lives in CT. I'll be visiting her at the end of the month. She has stomach problems and she generally tries to find foods that do not cause her pain. I do not think that she follows a plant based diet.

My twins are 17. One has several disabilities. He lives at a residential treatment center. I'm somewhat convoluted about his diet. I'm sure he could be transitioned to a plant-based diet but, short term that would be quite difficult. Long term we would need to find a plant-based group home for him to live in. I'm not sure that exists.

The other 17 year old lives with us. He is convinced that meat and cheese are good in moderation. He eats the McD meals we provide at home, but buys his lunch at school and eats pizza with his friends. I'm hopeful that as he grows up he will be more receptive.

So, I guess I'm 0 for 4 in the children department. But, they are open minded and may come around.
landog

Postby Adrienne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Yes I have a good memory! I remember your daughter because she posted quite a bit and I remember posting a few comments in her journal. I thought she was doing well on the mcd diet and if so perhaps she will return to it in the future. Sometimes it is those closest to us who are the hardest to influence. I see that with my own family members. But again if I remember correctly your wife is on board so that is something to be grateful for. And at least your kids are given the information and you are setting a good example for them. It is all you can do, really.
Adrienne

Sunday, October 9

Postby landog » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Not the usual day in our doghouse...

My mother-in-law lives in Ohio from mid-May until early October, and lives in Florida the rest of the time. She likes to have a Thanksgiving get-together with the whole family before she heads south. It is typically at our house because my wife is the best. She cooked a traditional Thanksgiving dinner while apologizing to the bird for her family's choices.

Lunch:
Salad (iceberg lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes)
Spinach
Brown rice with vegetarian chili

Dinner:
Mixed vegetables
mashed potatoes
lettuce
carrots

Late night:
Two boiled potatoes, cut up and reheated.

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow to any Canadians out there!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby Melinda » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi landog - thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes! I worked today and the (adult) kids are busy tomorrow, so we sort of skipped the big dinner. But I did make "Impossible Pumpkin Pie" from the Fatfree vegan site, with tofu whip a few days ago and we gobbled that down. Pretty good. I have been following your blog, just haven't been posting in it. You have no shortage of challenges in your life - all the best to you! :-)
Melinda

Postby landog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 am

Melinda wrote:Hi landog - thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes! I worked today and the (adult) kids are busy tomorrow, so we sort of skipped the big dinner. But I did make "Impossible Pumpkin Pie" from the Fatfree vegan site, with tofu whip a few days ago and we gobbled that down. Pretty good. I have been following your blog, just haven't been posting in it. You have no shortage of challenges in your life - all the best to you! :-)
Hi Melinda! Thanks for stopping by!
landog

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:11 am

I don't know where you live in Ohio, but I live near Columbus and it was certainly warm this weekend--esp. on Saturday. After all the rain we've had this year I was more than thrilled with the warm weather this fall--although I know all good things come to an end (usually in November :\ ).

You menus look good. :thumbsup:
Gramma Jackie

Monday, October 10

Postby landog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:05 pm

One third of the way through October!

Lunch:
Salad
Spinach
"Stir Fry" of broccoli, snap peas, green beans, carrots, celery, water chestnuts, onions, red peppers
Brown Rice with vegetarian chili

Dinner:
"Stir Fry"
peas, green beans and corn
Two baked potatoes

My oldest son (30 yrs) came over for dinner. I asked him what his eating habits are. He said: "I either eat like you or else have the most unhealthy thing on the menu."

He buys into the Esselstyn advice, but he's not at a point to fully implement.

Ran into Dr. Esselstyn today. That's always a treat! I'll be going to an event featuring Dr. Esselstyn on Friday. Anyone have any questions for him?

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby carollynne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:49 pm

hi Dog, I have some questions for Dr Essy. When I was at teh lecture I went to for the MAC4Wellness here in Mercersburg, PA, I did get to speak to him, but did not have any ?? ready in my mind then.
Here is what I would ask you to ask him....
1. Does he follow the British standards for blood pressure, or the American standard. Dr McDougall said in a lecture I was watching on a dvd or something, that he follows the British which is160/80 I think.... and the American is much lower, 110/70. I am wondering which one does recommend to his patients.
2. Does he recommend women over 50 take calcium as a supplement when they are vegan?
thanks, carollynne
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Rosey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:54 pm

landog wrote:My daughter is 26, is married, and lives in CT. I'll be visiting her at the end of the month. She has stomach problems and she generally tries to find foods that do not cause her pain. I do not think that she follows a plant based diet.

I hope you can get her to switch to plant based. I used to always have stomach issues and pain till I switched to plant based, oil free, gluten free. Any time I let oil or gluten slip back in I get sick all over again makes it easy to follow this plan since I don't want to be sick.
Rosey

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals