Gramma Jackie's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gramma Jackie's Journal

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:50 am

Today I decided to get off MWL and go back to the regular program. I lost 10 lbs. last summer on it and I think it works best for me in the long run. It may take me a little longer to reach my goal, but my lab reports were good and I have no major medical issues. The regular program just seems to suit me better. I will be using recipes from both the MWL book as well as Dr. McDougall's 2 cookbooks, recipes from the newsletter and some of my own. The McDougall cookbooks can be used for both programs and have great recipes. I will be blogging about some of the recipes as well as talking about them here in my journal.

Here is my food plan for today:

B- 1/2 GF bagel, Celestial Seasonings AromaRoast herbal tea

L- Sprouts, tomato, cucumber on GF whole grain hamburger bun, water

D- Ratatouille, salad, GF ciabatta bun, water

Snacks: 2 rice cakes, Celestial Seasonings Gingerbread herbal tea
Gramma Jackie

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Well, darn it. I will miss you on the Excursion but I get it. You need to do what works for you.

I will check in with you here & on your Blog.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I have gotten discouraged on this message board. I think the most discouraging reply I ever recieved in my life was this one by one of the members on this message board:

"I see that your cereal of choice is Rice Chex (at least mentioned in your posts). That is pure junk containing boat loads of sugars, salt, fortifications, etc. It has non-whole grain rice and is baked to increase the calorie density. Then you pour soy milk over it? Which brand and what is the label. In any event, you are starting off the day on a junk food sugar fest that is totally off plan and could scarcely be worse for you. There are just so many issues I saw in your posts that are going to ensure your continued failure IMO, and it is probably from lack of correct information."

I am still bothered by this post after over a month. Why? Because it is almost like bullying. Second the person got their facts wrong about a lot of stuff. For one I don't eat Rice Chex, although I have tried it. Secondly it IS whole grain rice and is very low fat (1 g. per serving) and very low sugar (2 grams per serving). And I never use soy milk, but even if I did, Dr. McDougall allows it.

That being said, I want to say that I have read every book by Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Barnard, Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. Campbell, plus I saw the movie Forks Over Knives with my husband. I am also a member of a vegan meet-up group in my city. My problem is not with giving up meat, dairy products, sugar or oils & fats. My problem is that I love to cook and eat. I am like Paula Deen except I've given up butter. :lol:

Someone bullying me into compliance on the strictest part of the McDougall plan doesn't work for me. However I've truly enjoyed Mike Teehan's posts and pms. He's a really nice guy. I wish he and my husband could meet. Except for what they eat, they have a lot in common. Mike is an encourager and I like that. However I still feel too restricted on Maximum Weight Loss. Those bean sandwiches and bean burritos that Dr. McDougall suggests in the free program keep calling my name. So that is why I am not going to be on the Maximum Weight Loss program anymore. I may lose weight like a turtle, but it was the turtle in the end afterall who won the race.
Gramma Jackie

Postby f1jim » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Gramma, the Rice Chex may not apply to you and I'll take your word that you don't eat it but for others that may think it's ok just a brief note:
As packaged dry cereals go it's certainly not the worst.
It does have whole grain rice in it, but it does have NON-whole grain rice too. Next to rice the next most common ingredients are sugar and salt, then molasses(another sugar). Then Vitamin E and preservatives. I guess it will keep you from starving but as a quality way to start the day we can do better. Compare the nutritional composition of this product to a nice bowl of oatmeal and fruit. They are not in the same league.

I am like you. The regular plan has too many good things for me to stay away. I'm sure a commitment to the regular plan will serve you in good stead. Keep us posted every once in a while on your progress. You have been on the forum a long time and your success will be motivating for a lot of people.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Melinda » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:04 pm

RE walking on the icy sidewalks, GJ - we experience lots of ice and snow here, and we buy 'grippers' to put on the soles of our boots. They just come on and off as needed. They have different names - I think they were first used by ice fishermen, and then somehow migrated to people who wanted to walk safely in the winter. They are rubber slip on things over the sole of your boots with sharp studs on them so you can get some traction.
Melinda

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:29 pm

[quote="Gramma Jackie"]I have gotten discouraged on this message board. I think the most discouraging reply I ever recieved in my life was this one by one of the members on this message board:"I see that your cereal of choice is Rice Chex (at least mentioned in your posts). That is pure junk containing boat loads of sugars, salt, fortifications, etc. It has non-whole grain rice and is baked to increase the calorie density. Then you pour soy milk over it? Which brand and what is the label. In any event, you are starting off the day on a junk food sugar fest that is totally off plan and could scarcely be worse for you. There are just so many issues I saw in your posts that are going to ensure your continued failure IMO, and it is probably from lack of correct information."
I am still bothered by this post after over a month.

Hi GJ, I am sorry that that post hurt you so much & continues to do so. I know that you are going to do fine, you were doing fine last summer, actually all the way through. If doing the regular plan works for you, then you need to do it. I dont know what to say about how that post was written, it was rude & out of line to say the least but that seems to be ok because the op seems to have had your best interest at heart. Not sure I see that, but whatever. In the end what matters is that you get to where you are going. And you are right, the turtle did win in the end.

I said before, I will miss you. But we keep in touch off the boards, after all, we have so much in common that we just found out about yesterday. Plus I love to come in to your blog, see what you have new in there. You do such a great job on it.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Rosey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm

HUGS!!! Sorry you had a message that bothered you so much. I think I remember you saying you had Celiac if so be careful what shells you use for burritos but enjoy with the gluten free ones. I get some gluten free and oil free ones from bob's red mill here in Portland, OR. Though I haven't had any for a while.
Rosey

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm

f1jim wrote:Gramma, the Rice Chex may not apply to you and I'll take your word that you don't eat it but for others that may think it's ok just a brief note:
As packaged dry cereals go it's certainly not the worst.
It does have whole grain rice in it, but it does have NON-whole grain rice too. Next to rice the next most common ingredients are sugar and salt, then molasses(another sugar). Then Vitamin E and preservatives. I guess it will keep you from starving but as a quality way to start the day we can do better. Compare the nutritional composition of this product to a nice bowl of oatmeal and fruit. They are not in the same league.

I am like you. The regular plan has too many good things for me to stay away. I'm sure a commitment to the regular plan will serve you in good stead. Keep us posted every once in a while on your progress. You have been on the forum a long time and your success will be motivating for a lot of people.
f1jim

Jim,

I have been eating oatmeal since I was a kid. I also eat rice, millet, buckwheat and sometimes quinoa for breakfast as well as pototes and sweet potatoes and bread. As far as cold cereal goes, I've found cereal from Erewhon an Nature's Path companies to be the best. As far as my progress, I will continue posting right here in my journal.

**edited to add the packaged cereals I now eat.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm

janluvs2heel wrote:
Gramma Jackie wrote:I have gotten discouraged on this message board. I think the most discouraging reply I ever recieved in my life was this one by one of the members on this message board:"I see that your cereal of choice is Rice Chex (at least mentioned in your posts). That is pure junk containing boat loads of sugars, salt, fortifications, etc. It has non-whole grain rice and is baked to increase the calorie density. Then you pour soy milk over it? Which brand and what is the label. In any event, you are starting off the day on a junk food sugar fest that is totally off plan and could scarcely be worse for you. There are just so many issues I saw in your posts that are going to ensure your continued failure IMO, and it is probably from lack of correct information."
I am still bothered by this post after over a month.

Hi GJ, I am sorry that that post hurt you so much & continues to do so. I know that you are going to do fine, you were doing fine last summer, actually all the way through. If doing the regular plan works for you, then you need to do it. I dont know what to say about how that post was written, it was rude & out of line to say the least but that seems to be ok because the op seems to have had your best interest at heart. Not sure I see that, but whatever. In the end what matters is that you get to where you are going. And you are right, the turtle did win in the end.

I said before, I will miss you. But we keep in touch off the boards, after all, we have so much in common that we just found out about yesterday. Plus I love to come in to your blog, see what you have new in there. You do such a great job on it.

Jan, I'm no going anywhere--just not doing MWL anymore, just the regular plan.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Rosey wrote:HUGS!!! Sorry you had a message that bothered you so much. I think I remember you saying you had Celiac if so be careful what shells you use for burritos but enjoy with the gluten free ones. I get some gluten free and oil free ones from bob's red mill here in Portland, OR. Though I haven't had any for a while.

Hi Rosey,

I have some GF aramanth/rice tortillas, although I think they are too high fat so I don't think I will eat them. I'll probably just stick to corn ones. I also have several recipes for GF tortillas. I also got some chickpea flour from Bob's Red Mill and think I will experiment with it.
Gramma Jackie

Postby wife2abadge » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 pm

You catch more flies with honey, right? I know for me, criticism stings. I'd prefer someone noting something I did correctly than pointing out all of the things I do incorrectly!

I'm enjoying your blog, btw.
Susan
wife2abadge

Postby Rosey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote:
Rosey wrote:HUGS!!! Sorry you had a message that bothered you so much. I think I remember you saying you had Celiac if so be careful what shells you use for burritos but enjoy with the gluten free ones. I get some gluten free and oil free ones from bob's red mill here in Portland, OR. Though I haven't had any for a while.

Hi Rosey,

I have some GF aramanth/rice tortillas, although I think they are too high fat so I don't think I will eat them. I'll probably just stick to corn ones. I also have several recipes for GF tortillas. I also got some chickpea flour from Bob's Red Mill and think I will experiment with it.

I haven't tried that one I posted on GF thread yet. it looked like it would be good.
Rosey

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 am

I am now writing about McDougall Meal Makeovers in my blog (link below in my signature). Whether meals are vegetarian, vegan or even SAD, many can be made-over to fit into the McDougall plan. Dr. McDougall mentions in several of his books that people should list their favorite dishes and then try to "McDougallize" them. I am just not real big on throwing things together for dinner. I like to put a little thought and effort into what I cook and eat. So that's what I will be concentrating on in my blog.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 pm

It was a beautiful Indian Summer day here in central Ohio today. The temperature got up to at least 70 degrees. So I went for a walk. I walked 3/4 of a mile without my cane and I was surprised that my feet didn't hurt at all. The last time I walked that far, before returning to the McDougall program, my feet hurt for a week. I think part of the reason is that after losing some weight my feet are a little smaller and I can tie my shoes a bit tighter, giving my feet the support they need.

Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice cereal, banana milk, herbal tea

Lunch: Asparagus, mushrooms and onions sauteed in water. Lettuce and tomato salad with fatfree vinegrette.

Supper: Taco salad (lettuce, tomatoes, pinto beans, salsa), guacamole.'

Snacks: 2 large rice cakes

Drinks: Water and herbal tea

p.s. I lost 1 lb. since last week ( I am one of those people who weigh every morning).

**edited to correct spelling mistake.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby carollynne » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

me too, Gaamma, I love to weigh in daily just to check myself form too much of a good thing.... but congrats on the wt loss too.
you are doing it up big time!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals