Nomikins On the Path

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins On the Path

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 am

hey there. Just checking to see if we are still neck and neck! :lol:
yup. we started at about the same weight, aiming for the same weight, and currently at *about* the same weight. :)

so keep on going, and I will too! :D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:42 am

H nomikins,
Congrats on teh new grandbaby. YAY! I am still grand babyless. but some day! :nod:
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby RAS » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Congratulations Grandma&Grandpa.Babies are the best. Enjoy. RAS
RAS

Postby nomikins » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for the grandbaby good wishes. Looking forward to meeting the little scamp after the new year.

Happy Saturday!

DH and I have lots of yardwork to do today, bring wood up for our woodstove (keeping the house toasty and our furnace is OFF!). I made a Mexican Lasagna with tortillas, ff refried black beans, mashed sweet potato, mixed chopped assorted veggies (clean out the refrigerator style), salsa, nut yeast (not too much - 3 T for the whole thing), sliced jalapenos. It looks good just sitting in the big casserole dish.

I'll be enjoying some bread for the first time since the end of October. Meatball sammiches. Nate's brand fake meatballs and homemade ff marinara. Italian bread from a bakery in Philly. Looking forward to dinner! I know the meatballs aren't program friendly, but them's the breaks. Flame away, see if I care. :unibrow:

Keeping my food log again (over in Mike T's Food thread on the MWL page) is really helping me pay attention to planning.

Have a great day, friends!
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:36 am

Plugging along. Official weigh in today; the program works, just do it! I'm within just a few pounds of where I stopped earlier this year when the poo-poo hit the fan with FIL and we went into crazy eat and drink mode. Pretty soon I'll be able to post on Debbie's weight loss tally again. If I get back into running and regular exercise, so much the better.

I did get a nice 40 minute or so walk in yesterday at lunchtime. Gorgeous weather here in central cackalacky! Another day or two is forecast, then we go plummeting back to the 50s. Sleeping with the windows open at night! In November! I love it.

Another good thing about going more simple on the food prep is that I'm getting a few things done around the casa in the evenings. As a person who really enjoys cooking, but not the cleanup, it's a lot to come home after a long day at work, then start prepping a meal. Yesterday, I was smart and did all the prep for a roasted veggie dish BEFORE I left for work. I'm glad I did because we packed up my MIL's dishes and shipped them to my stepdaughter, who is the only person who wanted them. We packaged carefully, had to run out for one more sturdy box and packaging material, then off to the UPS facility before they closed at 8PM. THEN we ate dinner. DH felt me out on the way to UPS to see if I was into going out (in a very subtle way). The roasted veggies were cooked, so I said he could go out, but I'm eating at home. We both ate at home.

Well, I'm hoping to try to catch up on journals. I'm pretty slammed these days at work, but keep up the good work!
nomikins

Postby Rosey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 am

Your doing fabulous Nomi. Keep it up. HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby Chile » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Good for you for eating at home. Sadly, I'm usually the one trying to persuade hubby to go out (so I don't have to do the cooking/clean-up), but lately any oil at all in a restaurant meal is upsetting his digestive system, so that will be a deterrent to my bad influence. My strategy for dealing with this tendency in myself is to have more easy meals on hand at home. I've got two different soups in the freezer now from leftovers. I bought a BUNCH of the McDougall ready-to-serve soups since they were on sale. We've got fast-cooking starches such as whole wheat couscous, the prepared polenta tubes, and dehydrated potatoes. All these take less than 10 minutes to prepare and can have the soups poured over them.
Chile

Postby nomikins » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Good tips, Chile!

We generally have food on hand these days. I can whip up soup in the pressure cooker pretty fast (which is what I'm doing today). The freezer is bursting at the seams. Sometimes, we just WANT to go and sit at the pub up town and have a drink and talk about the day and eat french fries. Well, not lately, but that's what happens if I have nothing prepared and feeling weak. I feel less weak when I am on a roll of eating well and having the right food in the house. My pantry is also bursting at the seams. I'm just lazy - well, can be, anyway.
nomikins

Postby Dendra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Glad things are going well. Your journal is a nice read. Congrats on the new grand baby.

My pantry is also bursting at the seams.
Same here. It's so much easier when there is good food in the house. Wish I had more freezer space for prepared soups however. I would if I just took the time to clean out the freezers. :?
Dendra

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:39 pm

:nod: :nod:
nomikins wrote:Ugggg…. I had TERRIBLE insomnia last night. It happens once in a while when I get close to TOM. It’s going to be a long day.

The good news is: I’m a (cougar) granny! My stepdaughter gave birth to her first child yesterday, a little girl weighing in at seven pounds, point 4 ounces. Eighteen inches long. Mother, child and father are all doing well.

Wait--you are a gramma and still have TOM? I was almost 60 before my kids finally decided to have babies. It's a good thing, cause I don't think I could have handled both. :lol: Anyway, congratualtions on the new grandbaby. They are wonderful. I am expecting my fifth next spring--actually it's my daughter who is expecting (lol)., but grampa and me are excited. I get to babysit while my daughter is at work. Yay! I babysat her first one until he was 3 and went to preschool. I love it. :nod:

p.s. I love your journal.
Gramma Jackie

Postby nomikins » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Jackie, I'm 43. My stepdaughter is 27, I think. So, yeah, I'm a young granny. Cougarrrifffic! :lol:
nomikins

Postby Anna Green » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Nomikins, you are clearly creating a new pattern. Good for you! What's in the freezer? I know I'm nosy but inquiring minds want to know. :)
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:23 pm

nomikins wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Jackie, I'm 43. My stepdaughter is 27, I think. So, yeah, I'm a young granny. Cougarrrifffic! :lol:

that's the best time to have grandkids: when you are in your early 40's...I was 43 when my grandson was born (he is now 8 ) and I have a two year old little sweety angel grand baby girl who calls me Ya Ya and I LOVE IT! And I still get regular visits from Cousin Charlotte, though this month she only stayed for two days

YAYAYAAYAYAYAAY!

anyways...congrats on the sweety angel baby girl YOU now have! what fun!
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Anna, what's in the freezer? Everything but a body of a missing Teamster, lol!

I have Italian bread from a bakery in Philly, loads of frozen veggies, flour, grains, beans, organic cherries I got for a great price during a whole foods one day sale (some frozen fresh and some dehydrated), tomatoes, peppers, vanilla vodka, limoncello vodka, some vegan convenience food that I bought before reupping (pierogies, veggie burgers, veggie crumbles, tofurky slices), strawberry vodka, cookie dough that mom made when she was here last month, pesto, and some other stuff that I can't remember.

Really, we don't need to leave the house for about two months, and we'll still have food left.
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Well, this is going well. Had a microsecond of wanting to go out to eat but I didn't make it an option. Just reading what folks here are doing to improve themselves, both struggles and victories, really keeps me going strong. I'm enjoying feeling great and I'm even getting up earlier and easier, not languishing in the bed for an hour after the alarm goes off. Feels real nice.

What would feel even better would be if this darn cough would go bother someone else. I do think it's on the way out.
nomikins

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals