100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 100 Day, No Stray Summer Challenge

Postby circle city vegan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 am

I'm putting away my scale until Mar.1 so I can actually see a difference and not all this one up and one down stuff.

I got my son up early to go jogging with me. Success. Usually I skip the weekends because the gym doesn't open until 8 and we have sports for the kids.

I stayed vegan yesterday but for some reason really ate the more dense foods. Shredded wheats for breakfast and two lara bars among all of the green/yellows and potatoes. I don't have to see the damage since the scale is put away.

My daughters audiology appt. went fine and it turns out that the doctor and his wife are both vegan. I haven't run into anyone yet that eats plant based so I was really excited. He used to follow Dr. McDougall many years ago and fell off the wagon. Now he's back on since December and his health numbers are already improving. He asked me if I make pancakes. I guess he misses them.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby frozenveg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:05 pm

[quote="Christine in Cali"]Frozenveg...Your husband sounds like a sweetheart to make that fruit basket for your b-day. How do you make sweet and sour cabbage? I am going to make an aspargus (sp) lemon soup today.[/quote

Yes, my husband is a sweetheart, even though he has tried and can't eat this way yet. He is very supportive most of the time!

Sweet & sour cabbage is an occasional favorite of mine. I used red cabbage and I just slice it in small chunks--I don't have the patience to shred it or slice it thin, but it would cook a lot faster.

1 medium onion, sliced thin
1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin
1 apple, peeled & sliced thin
1 T. brown sugar or whatever sweetener you want
1/4 to 1/2 cup cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar, or a mix of both
Caraway seed (optional, but not for us!)

Cook the onion in water or veggie broth (1/4 cup or so) for 5 minutes till translucent.
Add cabbage and apple and continue to cook until the cabbage is tender, adding water of you need it.
When nearly done, add the sugar and vinegar and heat through.

I love cabbage both raw and cooked. Good thing, because that and spinach are my only greens--other greens need to be sneaked up on me, like in Jeff's Fast Food recipes!! :lol: :lol:

Tell me about the asparagus lemon soup. I don't love asparagus, but DH does. The asparagus hasn't looked too good this year, though...
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi...Oh my goodness, I am so tired out! The relatives all just left. The wedding was amazing and beautiful. I'm so happy, and I'm so tired, I just wanted to say hello, and I will be back to post more and catch up tomorrow! OH...I lost one more pound and that makes 30! Woo Hoo! :)
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Black coffee, Amy's cream of rice with blueberries

3 bean chili 1 soy latte with simple sugar

TJ Veggie rolls, air popcorn at movies, diet soda and red grapes

Going to the movies is always hard for me cause I want all the goodies that go with it...I only bought a diet soda this time.

Good goin' Lori....You have to fill us in on all the details when your rested
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby LoriJenny » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I am back, rested, feeling great, excited about this challenge!!! :) I'm so thrilled to have lost one more pound, I lose the weight more slowly it seems than I did at first, but I'm just so thrilled about every pound. I am sitting here wearing my skinniest jeans and they are loose, I had to put on a belt to keep them up. Soon I will have hardly any clothes that fit me! My weight has been up and down so much the past 18 years or so that I have every size, from about 10 and up in my closet. That is alot of clothes! I'm looking forward to throwing some of them away, or giving them away. My closet will be so happy!!!
I made a new dish this morning and I love it. Here is the link if anyone wants to try it, it's a new favorite for me: It's roasted vegies with quinoa. I did not use the amount of olive oil listed though, I used half.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=38166.0

I"m really interested in the mango/cocoa foods I see listed that you all have tried, and the peanut butter bars...those sound amazing!! I think cocoa is okay, it's just all the stuff that's added in when they make it into chocolate right? I need to find Jeff's recipes or his fast food dvd or something.

B: 2 Rice cakes/peanut butter
S: Vegies and Hummus
L: Quinoa/roasted vegies
S: Quinoa spagetti/McDougall's sauce
D: Planning to have the Quinoa/roasted vegies
Ex: Not sure, it is raining really hard today, I may go to the gym, or ride on my exercise bike.

Nice to meet you RAS!! So great to be back :)
LoriJenny

Postby Christine in Cali » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Lori....the mango/choco fruit cup is also on Jeff's facebbok page. If I had known that before, I wouldn't have spent 24.00 on the DVD.

Well, my asparagus lemon soup was lacking. I put a little of this and a little of that in it, and it just didn't cut it. Nothing I would make again and certainly not something I would like another bowl of.......trial and error.

I'll take a look at the veggie one.....I wish I was losing quickly too. Compared to the way I used to eat, I would think the weight would be falling off me....but no, up a pound down a pound. Frustrating I guess I'm just not doing it right.

coffee black, 3 bean chili...yes for breakfast, 1 flour tortilla

McD ramin, some of that crappy soup, cinnamon bears... I blew it on the 100 day challenge, very berry water

a little bit of the fresh chili I just now made.

Still Vegan though and going to stay that way
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby LoriJenny » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Christine...don't worry about "blowing it"...just get right back on track! :) I wasn't exactly perfect during the wedding as I thought I would be...but...I'm just going to look forward and not worry about it, I hope that is okay.
LoriJenny

Postby frozenveg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 am

Christine, sorry to hear about the asparagus lemon soup. Sometimes it just doesn't happen, and I just slide that one aside and learn what I like!

Lori, so glad the wedding went well and you are down a pound as well!

I am running late so I'll be back later to log my food & exercise for Sunday & today.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Christine in Cali » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey Frozenveg....well ya eat some and ya dump some. Good thing the asper-grass wasn't very expensive.

I made another batch of chili and for some reason I am not tired of it yet. I should put some leafy greens in it....but me no likey leafy greens. I will find other ways of getting em in so I don't ruin the dish I made and have to dump that out as well. In the past if I made something that wasn't good I would just let it spoil in the fridge and then I would have to throw it away and not feel too guilty about it....dumb reasoning I know.

I have been very emotional lately. I always have doubts when I am "dieting" and think it's not working fast enough or I'm not doing it right. I think it is a sabotage response. I was on line looking up Dr Barnard and Dr Fuhrman diets, thinking maybe they would work better. I've decided to stick with McDougall and just be content with a slower weight loss..... I know I am getting healthier, and a slimmer me is sure to come.

Food for today

Fruit and Amy's Cream of rice with nothing added, black coffee - what I did learn from all my searching is that my morning coffee could be what is slowing my weight loss, but not ready to give it up yet.

Small soy latte with simple sugar...

Chili with tortilla, roasted assorted veggies and quinoa....thanks Lori for the recipe link. Very good.
water

update

Just got back from a 30 min Power Walk before it got dark. Now I know why I am so emotional and my weight has been unstable....I am going through
wo-Menopause and have not been having my TOM for at least 6 months now, sure enough there it is. Sheesh I am so looking forward to this time of my life to be fini.... :?

K,
C out
Last edited by Christine in Cali on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby circle city vegan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:37 am

I'm still here but the kids are taking over my machine. If I don't get on early early, it's over for the day!

I'm making a potato and leek soup today cause I've just wanted to eat and eat the last few and I think soup will help.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 am

I wrote something in here yesterday and thought I posted it but its gone. I guess I took too long and disappeared?

I ate well over the weekend. On Friday I made South of the Border Salad. It was very good with artichoke hearts and hearts of palm, beans veggies, etc.

Saturday it was Southwest Jambalaya. Sunday was Kim Chi Noodle Soup. I bought a lot of greens, some I never heard of but asked people about it as they picked it up. I think Sunday night will be Kim Chi Noodle Soup night.

Monday:
B: Big plate of hash browns on arugula topped with 2 c. steamed kale
S: banana
L: Kim Chi Soup
D: Jicama and strawberry salad with mango/cilantro/lime dressing and Colorful Coleslaw salad.
StarchBeet

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 am

Jicama and strawberry salad with mango/cilantro/lime dressing and Colorful Coleslaw salad.

That sounds good....How do you make that?
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:21 pm

The jicama and strawberry salad is
jicama cubed, strawberries cut up
sauce: mango cut into small cubes, add juice of one or more lime, add some honey or agave or mango juice (I had a small mango juice pack), cut up handful of cilantro, put on to the jicama and strawberries. Today I added cut up banana and it was nice too.

For the colorful coleslaw:
I sliced half a red cabbage and white cabbage as fine as I could (I need a food processor badly), finely chopped radishes, celery, green onions, grated carrots, parsley and cilantro.
Sauce: 1 cup of rice vinegar, little soy sauce, little agave, dash of worsetshire sauce, and tablespoon of old fashioned mustard- stir well and add to veggies and let chill.

:)
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Tuesday meals:
B: large plate of potatoes o'brien on plate of arugula topped with rest of the kale, ketsup
S: banana
L: large plate of jicama salad and colorful coleslaw
S: 6 rice crackers

I need to weigh myself soon! I will go get my scale I hid away but I won't know how accurate it is unless I compare it to a reliable scale. I guess I was hoping I'd do something big this month and I have taken it to the next level with greens. I am lagging on the exercise though. I had to take my tread mill back because something was leaking and the band wouldn't stay in place. I need to get up early and take a walk.
StarchBeet

Postby Christine in Cali » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm

I am down another pound....I am so excited! I am actually losing weight.

Food stuffed in my mouth today.....

black coffee, blueberries, strawberries and grapes....oh my, roasted vegetables and quinoa, salad with broccoli slaw bits, cucumbers and ff mango dressing, 4 pieces of veg sushi made with brown rice, a veggie burger from BK no mayo....I guess I should check to see if eggs where in that. Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea, coco powder mango "pudding" with a small amount of walnuts.

Raining again so no exercise as of yet
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals