Optimal Health Journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Optimal Health Journey

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 am

Yes, it seems Marla's posts were very timely and I appreciate all the things people share here. I can relate to so many. The fundraiser was more of a social event for me and I am sad to say I cheated with a coke (last time I had one was last year), but NO dessert. I ate a salad plain and then some potatoes and beans and a roll. Well that was enough because I did hurt Sunday. But the event was a lot of fun with fun people who said I look like a completely different person than the last time they saw me. Of course I cheated on Friday night with the plums and snackwells so this weekend was demonstrating what can happen when I am feeling weak. I had been ignoring things but between TOM (sugar please!!) and something else I was a lame duck.

I see I am not ready for the no exceptions rule and I am not sure how much misery I want before I take it serious to stay on track. So to top it off, both kids had colds last week and I woke up today feeling like it's my turn. I had to get up at 5 am to take a friend to the airport and it was no fun. I'm taking it easy and trying eat less, but with the watermelon in the house that's unlikely.

B: watermelon, pear
L:McDougall pad Thai soup
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 pm

B: 7 grain kashi cereal, rice milk, apple
L: potatoes and kale, tabouli
S: pretzels
D: pad thai noodles

It was a rainy day and slow day. I don't feel a full blown cold but I sniffle now and then. I wonder what kind of virus the kids had or what I have. I seem to be fighting it quite well but I am tired.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I realize I miss my friend who I help-out in return for her helping me prepare things. I'm not full of energy and she is usually here to lend a hand. That hand has been so helpful. I am ok with just chilling, not making new things and cleaning out the fridge. I will have to do some things tomorrow and make something. I was considering SNAP meals!!
I need to get some in mind. I have cans, lots of cans and frozen stuff.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:29 pm

45 minute walk

B: apple, tabbouleh pilaf (didnt have large peppers for stuffed peppers, so I cut up the small ones and just baked everything-2 types mushrooms, tri colored peppers, tomatoes, black olives, green onions, celery and cracked wheat), apple
L: pilaf, apple
D: pilaf and Popsicle...not good.

wow, what a tabbouleh pilaf day

tomorrow I have to boil the potatoes and cut up carrots, cabbage, beets and tomatoes for salad. I need to eat potatoes and salad for a few days. Oh, yes I lost the roasted winter vegetable recipe but I have parsnips and acorn squash I have to put into a dish. Any suggestions anyone?
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:22 pm

did yard work, cut the grass

B: boiled and mashed potatoes
L: mashed potatoes, raisins
Dinner will be some sort of roasted winter vegetables if I can get it together to make it. I can put the squash in the oven to roast it now.
D: you guessed it..potatoes

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/mwl/index.shtml
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:20 am

It seems like a lot of distractions are planted around this place.

I have on a shirt I bought over a year ago, back in July, that was so tight on me that I almost didn't want to buy it. But I KNEW the results i'd get if I followed the rules.

Wow, the shirt actually looks many sizes loose on me.

So I KNOW the results when I follow the rules.

I can't find my camera (update-the cat must have pulled the strap to play with and taking it down to the floor, since it was on the floor behind the desk)so there aren't going to be many pictures of the food I made until I find it. OH MY GOODNESS you will not see what LovesKales' Pepper Stew looks like. It's so gorgeous that it makes me not even want to make ratatouille anymore. I wish I could let you see and heck, even taste it. But don't tell anyone...we wouldn't want to start a stampede for health or anything.

I'm amazed where my bodies weaknesses are. Its amazing what happens to the aging body. That hit on my pancreas isn't the last thing I'm going through. Tough times ahead but I seem to be struggling.

Yesterday I enjoyed the best breakfast. I loved that oatmeal and plantain I made. So much that I want to drive my vehicle to get another one for breakfast. The temperatures are all over the place but they are leaning towards the cooler sides now. Its hard to adjust to being about 10 sizes smaller, having to hunt for clothes to wear given all the weather possibilities.

I am trying to starve a cold. I need to watch the proteins too. I need to really GO GREEN.
StarchBeet

Postby Loveskale » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:54 pm

YAY! I am glad you liked my recipe! It makes me so happy to see people make them! :D
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby StarchBeet » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Yes Loveskale...even my best friend, who cooks better than I do (except she uses oil!),had some for lunch today and I had to make a portion so she could take it to work for lunch tomorrow. :-D

I am getting things done today. I made four bean salad; I made cream of cauliflower soup and wow is it good. I also made some potatoes and probably something else. Or I do want to make mushroom stroganoff later today for dinner if I can find the energy.

I woke up feeling a little more of this cold so I wanted to get that soup prepared fast. For breakfast I had another plantain/cinnamon/flax/oatmeal concoction. Wow I am loving this. I buy a particular plantain and one that is very ripe.

I've finally lost about 4 pounds of the weight I've gained back so I'm heading in the proper direction for now. I want to get back into 140's!!!! I have a few pounds before I'm there but I will get there when I follow the rules.

I hope how I feel right now is how I feel during every future cold. Wow its so much different. This could just be that I sense the symptoms coming on early and soon they will be as bad as I'm used to (with the aches and pains, runny nose, and you know the drill). I need some water and a rest.

Pictures to come soon.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 am

Today was another cooking sort of day. I cut open the pineapple I had and it wasn't one of those mind-blowingly wonderfully ripe ones. I looked at the recipe on the top of my new pile and saw Calypso Pineapple Bean Pot. Wow, I thought, that sounds wonderful. Heres what it looks like:
calypso Pineapple Bean Pot by jewelsadk1, on Flickr

Here's Loveskale Pepper Stew:
LovesKale Pepper Stew by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/28585497@N02

Updated pictures

Now I have enough food to keep me for a few days and I must walk soon.
Last edited by StarchBeet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 am

I need to work on an "endless salad bowl" today. I will grate carrots, fresh beets and cabbage or what ever I have. Then I will rinse the greens and I think leave them whole leaves and just pull out some daily to make salads through the day. I'll chop other things like cucumbers and celery to add. Then I'll make the mango dressing.

I was up till 4 am two nights in a row due to mistaken communication about when someone was flying back into the country. I didn't exercise yesterday. I want to head out now to take a nice long walk and then pick up a few things.

I have to get Worcestershire sauce and some brandy for mushroom stroganoff I want to make today, it's from July 2006 celebrity Chef Weekend July 2006 Newsletter.

I just sneezed and feel some low energy. I'll organize myself and get going.

B: potatoes, bowl of three bean salad
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Wow, this mushroom stroganoff is a rich dinner. I'm glad I barely ate breakfast today.

I have not learned to make noodles yet and I have to give kudos to the Eden Organic Pasta Company. WOW those noodles are great.

Mushroom Stroganoff by jewelsadk1, on Flickr
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm

What a busy day. I hate burning the candle at both ends so much. Today we managed to grate the carrots and beets, wash the greens and I had a fantastic salad this afternoon.

For breakfast I had plantain in oatmeal with frozen cherries. I didn't get back home until 1:30 and then I had beans and rice done for my son, and I had some plus a little left-over stroganoff. My eyes were bigger than my stomach. Its hard to slow down when you're hungry. Then tonight I just tweaked a recipe for Cherry Snack Cake. OMG. I wish I had a bakery or that I could package these and sell them at coffee shops. I need to get serious and see what I can do.

Cherry Snake Cake by jewelsadk1, on Flickr

I updated the picture of LovesKale's Pepper Stew to a better picture on the previous page.
StarchBeet

Postby Loveskale » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:40 am

Starchbeet, Thanks for sharing the picture! The stew looks great! Your mushroom stronganoff also looks good!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby WeeSpeck » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:18 am

Yum!

You are an awesome food photographer.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 pm

I loved this salad last night:
Strawberry and radish salad by jewelsadk1, on Flickr

I also made Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
Louisiana Red Beans and Rice by jewelsadk1, on Flickr them bigger? My eyes like the big ones.

Thanks Weespeck and Loveskale :)

I used the vegetarian sausage (I think this is the second time I've bought texturized fake meat). The woman at the Adventist Store tried to sell me a book with recipe for fake sausage but I couldn't get the book. She'd made similar mac and cheese (she added unsweetened coconut milk though) and it was fun being able to speak to another human that cooks like I do!!!

I woke up after the first night things turned coolish (was in the forties as well as a lot of rain) and I felt the cold a little stronger. I still feel like I have it but just barely. I sure hope all future colds are like this. I feel healthy!
Last edited by StarchBeet on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StarchBeet

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals