Optimal Health Journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Optimal Health Journey

Postby StarchBeet » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:47 am

I am looking for the recipe for Julies Black Bean Torta, which was part of the newsletter recipes. I can't locate the month and year and I have looked through the lists and cannot find it.

Does anyone have the recipe? I may just make up my own if no one can help.
StarchBeet

Postby Chrmann » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Could you e-mail me the recipe for Julies Black Bean Torta? I would appreciate it.
[email protected]
Chrmann

Postby Debbie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 pm

You said here, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22236, that it was from McDougall for a healthy heart. Not sure if thats a book or what, but maybe you can find it this way:O)
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 am

haha, well thanks debbie. I thought I looked through every book I had too. I did a few searches and didn't see that.

I made something from scratch and appreciate your keen help.

There it is: page 349

Jule's Black Bean Torta
3 c cooked black beans
1/3 c veggie broth
2 c finely chopped red onion
2 c finely chopped mixture of veggies (zucchini, celery, bell peppers, etc)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoons crushed red peppers
2 c fresh salsa
6 8-inch corn tortillas

Place the beans and veggy broth into a food processor and process until fairly smooth. Set aside. Saute the onion, veggies, and garlic in a small amount of water or broth for 10 minutes. Add the corn, cumin and red pepper and cook for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Place 1 tortilla on the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan (or 8-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Spread with 1/2 c bean mixture, then 1 cup veggie mix, then 1/3 c salsa. Continue to layer in same order.
Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 am

I'm trying to focus and get going on this last bit of extra weight so I can create stronger health.

I'm working on doing these things:

1. Grazing not gorging

2. Using the pdf file I have for maximum weight loss recipes http://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/maximum_ ... _books.pdf

3. I want to make soups and salads for meals. I want to make starch soups for satiety and focus on greens and salads in general.

4. Walks and stretching
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 am

Yesterday I made black bean soup with potatoes, onion carrots, left over brown rice, tomatoes and spinach. It was very rich.

This morning I had potatoes with arugula for breakfast and some left- over oatmeal with berries closer to lunch.

I have to get a plan going for today.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

B: hash browns with arugula
L: Potato chowder (I added spinach and something else) http://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/mmi_lesson_05.pdf
D: chowder
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 pm

I had potato chowder for thursday dinner and lunch. For breakfast I had oatbran with oatmeal and berries.

Friday, today, for breakfast I had onions, garlic, orange pepper, cabbage and potato fry. For lunch I had potato chowder. For dinner I had two plates of arugula with mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes with some rice vinegar.

Here's me finishing the seagull century finish line:

Seagull Century finish line by jewelsadk1, on Flickr

I'm aiming for potato heaven for the next few weeks. I'd love to hear of potato ventures :P
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:13 pm

The virus going around, or what ever it is, seems far worse on others than the symptoms I am currently struggling with. For the first time I can recall since I began my commitment to eating mcdgouall style I didn't cook for a couple days on 2/13 and 14 (monday and tuesday). I had felt a cold slightly last week. On Sunday I attempted to sell my recumbent bike at a bike swap and it was the coldest day of winter so far this year. I was up at 4 am and at the swap I found myself feeling very tired. The symptoms could have presented far worse. I have an occasional sore throat, twinge in my ears or stuffy head but it subsides. I find this really amazing. Colds used to put me out for 2 weeks of steady symptoms.

My daughter has had what appears to be reactions to eating dairy, since occasionally her brother will get something if Im gone and feed it to her. There seems to be immediate reactions but I can't be absolutely sure of course. So anyway her system is weak, then weakened by dairy then this virus comes and she's had days of seizures. And I've been tired. Ho hum. It could be far worse.

Today I made a super dish for rebounding. While it cooked it was delightful to smell and make. I'll add a picture.
Hearty split pea and vegetable soup by jewelsadk1, on Flickr

More soups!
Potato Chowder by jewelsadk1, on Flickr

Black bean soup by jewelsadk1, on Flickr
StarchBeet

Postby kirstykay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:04 pm

StarchBeet wrote:haha, well thanks debbie. I thought I looked through every book I had too. I did a few searches and didn't see that.

I made something from scratch and appreciate your keen help.

There it is: page 349

Jule's Black Bean Torta
3 c cooked black beans
1/3 c veggie broth
2 c finely chopped red onion
2 c finely chopped mixture of veggies (zucchini, celery, bell peppers, etc)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoons crushed red peppers
2 c fresh salsa
6 8-inch corn tortillas

Place the beans and veggy broth into a food processor and process until fairly smooth. Set aside. Saute the onion, veggies, and garlic in a small amount of water or broth for 10 minutes. Add the corn, cumin and red pepper and cook for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Place 1 tortilla on the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan (or 8-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Spread with 1/2 c bean mixture, then 1 cup veggie mix, then 1/3 c salsa. Continue to layer in same order.
Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.

This looks really good! Thanks for sharing it!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Those dishes look delicious. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Gramma Jackie

Postby StarchBeet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks Gramma Jackie :-P

Lemme know if you try making the Black Bean dish kirstykay. I really enjoyed how it looked and tasted.

On the rebound from feeling low energy I've gotten into sweet land. Sorry if that's painful to read. I chose to make http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com ... bites.html

I may some day get to the point of just protecting myself from sugar completely but I am choosing to make more acceptable foods even if I over indulge occasionally. I drank coffee this week too. I think I was trying to find a way to increase my energy with this sugar and coffee.

I've been eating potatoes, black beans and rice and left over split pea soup since Thursday.

I need a plan for cooking tomorrow and next few days.

I've gotten another copy of yoga for people with bad backs. Oh that felt good stretching. No energy has really put me behind. I need a week of vacation and pampering. WE all do sometimes.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:12 pm

I said "protecting myself from sugar". That's interesting since I have been doing the opposite this month.

I got some nice persimmons from a local Korean store. I also picked up some radishes with these large greens on them.

I have a suspicion that I need to do myself a favor and cut out sugar. I have a migraine coming on. I hate to post this since its a binge and I enjoyed making it, but I combined two black bean brownie recipes and came up with my own and I just got the biggest kick out of making such a good recipe. But now a storm is coming (coincidence?) and suddenly my head is getting that little area of pain and that sugar didn't help a bit.

Monday I was trying to get myself into balance. I made the best greens recipe and ate it for breakfast and most of the day. I'd love to hide for a week and try to relax.

This morning I found that the washing machine had leaked all over the floor. I was on the floor cleaning it myself. I slipped and sliced my finger. I need to fix it, like I fixed the dryer. It makes it so hard.

Then I had more problems and even thought the dog had gotten out since a new mailman left open the gate. By noon I was crying feeling totally unable to deal with the day. I found the dog upstairs :oops: . But he's going on 15 and I was worried. The dog is deaf now and I can't call him and find him. He always came when I called him.

I hate spinning in circles and never getting into a good strong routine.

The soup I made today was unbelievable. I've been just making things with what ever I have.
It contained:
onions with garlic and ginger, celery, turnips, butternut, green beans, potatoes, spinach and stelinni (small star pasta).

My daughter loved it and her bowels are doing so well. This is so important because its been a big part (one of many reasons) of setting off some of her seizures for most of her life. It doesn't take much to break them through, but the bowel thing we are getting corrected.
Last edited by StarchBeet on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:30 pm

My son is doing a research paper, I think on "controversial" topics on a vegan diet. I can't wait to see this.
StarchBeet

Postby StarchBeet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm

My plans for two weeks (first week of Spring 2012):

Potatoes and salads daily
Walk everyday
Stretch at night

I need a bag of carrots since my daughters seizure meds make her want food continually. I can fill-up containers of carrots and celery for her to eat daily. Knock on wood but she hasn't had a seizure in at least two weeks. When she stays off animal products she's healthier. This is so fantastic!!!!!

Yesterday I made a great Asian stir-"fry".

I focused on salads last week. I love to grate raw beets, carrots and radishes for the salads.

For the weekend I made roman beans, rice and black beans. I made a mixture of three types of mushrooms, red and yellow peppers, kale, onions and garlic to throw on top of the starches. I made mock cheese and penne casserole for the youngest.
My son finished his paper on vegetarianism.
StarchBeet

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals