New Year, New Me!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New Year, New Me!

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 am

Okay, I've updated my ticker to reflect my weight gain. :crybaby:
I needed to so it would be an accurate indicator of this process, and it's not pretty! I was this weight last JUNE! I'm frustrated that I've been spinning my wheels. I got down as low as 208, and have been bouncing around between that and 220 ever since. I've lost LESS than 40 pounds in almost a year! UGHHHH! :mad:

Well, I can get mad, or I can get even! :evil: I'm going to DO THIS THING NOW! Once and for all.

I've had a good week, but not as good as I could have been. I have noticed little things...like the dry cereal, the almond milk, and the cornbread with my chili. I have to go back to absolute basics! NO FLOUR PRODUCTS! This is the hard one for me right now, but taking a good long look at my weight loss progress, or lack thereof, makes me think to myself; "Okay, was it worth it?" THe answer is a BIG FAT "NO!"

I am going to be a success story this year @#!* IT!

Well, I am down 2# this week, so it's not a total bust, but the way I've been working out, I was hoping for more. I'll take the 2, though! It's better than nothing. And this next week will be even better!

I'm weighing in on Tuesdays b/c that's when I can get to the gym first thing in the morning.
Weight: 217.5
Blood Sugar: 140

My numbers are not making me happy today! :-(

Food Plan Today:
BKFS: Oatmeal with almond milk, blueberries, and banana
Lunch: BIG SALAD with lots-o-veggies and potato fries
Dinner: Veggie stir fry with brown rice
Snack: Baby Carrots, air popped corn

If I deviate from the plan, I'll edit this post!

Exercise:Spin Class and PowerFlex Class

Quotable Quote of the Day:
Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfills itself. ~W. C. Doane

Gratitude: Today, I am grateful for a clear view of reality. I am unwilling to live in the la-la land of numbness, only wishing for change. Rather, I am looking at the truth with eyes wide open in an attempt to face it and make a better life, one choice at a time. I am grateful, again, that mercy is NEW EVERY MORNING!

Today will not be a struggle, instead today will be another triumphant victory on my road to win this fight once and for all.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:22 am

Good job on the 2 lbs Kirsty! I, too, updated my ticker to reflect the weight I gained over the holidays. I'm glad I did because now I can post losses again! It's like ripping off a bandaid. It hurts at first but then you're glad you did it. Who wants to walk around with some nasty old bandaid hanging off them, ey? Anyhoo, now each time you lose weight (and it will be often) you get to watch the ticker go down. It's way better psychologically to see your hard work pay off each week than repeatedly make comparisons to where you're not. Every time you look at the ticker and see a lower number than where you are now it's just another grain of salt digging into your poor little emotional wound. No good can come of it.

We're all here supporting each other so we can get through these times and move toward a life with no food struggles. Each set back teaches us something about ourselves. Those pounds you gained the past few months are pounds of wisdom!

Here's one of my favorite quotes, "“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

Luv ya Kirsty!!! *HUG*

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby AranMC » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 am

I'm here too plodding along with you.. we'll get there in the end, why? Because we want to...

*hug*

Aran
"It's not a Diet, It's a Way of Life!"

AranMC

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Kelly and Aran! You're right, that nasty old bandaid needed to be pulled off. And we WILL get there! We're determined enough and we have the right plan, we're bound to make it eventually!

Today was a better day. I'm sticking to my guns and keeping my promises. I worked out today, normally don't, but went to the gym this afternoon for 50 min of cardio. Worked intervals, and got a good sweat on. I would have liked to do the Jillian DVD with my son, but I'm still sore from powerflex yesterday, so decided not to.

Food Today:
Oatmeal with water instead of soy or almond milk (Yay!)
Had veggie fajitas at a mexican restaurant with my mom today. Was the best choice I could have made there. There was oil, but all veggies and rice-didn't eat any of the refried beans or guacamole.
Dinner is my veggie soup. Made it yesterday and it's heating up on the stove now...flavours nice and melded together!

My plan for the rest of this week is veggie soup. Oatmeal for bkfs and veggie soup for lunch and dinner. My older son is out of town for the rest of the week, and he is the one who complains about lack of variety. My younger son loves my soup, and so does DH, so that's the plan. I really want to see this weight come back down, and I think veggie soup is the best path to make that happen quickly. I know I shouldn't need quick, but right now, emotionally and psychologically, I need quick. I need to get back into the "zone" and increase my belief in myself right now. I'm dancing on the edge of a cliff, and I am having to talk myself away from the edge constantly just to keep from falling. It's exhausting, and I'm not feeling very confident in my ability to continue to win this argument. I need a sure-fire plan that will lead to success that will breed more success and get me away from the edge.

That's where I'm at. I'm going to go read some success stories.

kirstykay

Postby lunaboyd » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey, thanks for the note in my journal! You know, you're right - I checked and the corn tortillas ARE okay on MWL. Here I was feeling guilty that I ate something non-MWL, and I didn't need to feel bad about it after all. Thanks for letting me know! I still don't plan to buy more, but I do feel better about eating them :)

I like your plan for this week. I did something similar last week and had great results. This week I've eaten more variety and it doesn't seem to be working as well. So starting Sunday (I'm traveling Saturday and have other food to eat between now and then) I'm going to do the same. Vegetable soup for lunch and dinner, with rice or potato, and oatmeal for breakfast. I actually like knowing in advance what the meals will be. Takes the pressure off and stops me from thinking about food much at all.

Good luck! I will keep an eye on your journal. Looks like the exercise is going great. I think your plan will pay off this week. I know what you mean about sometimes wanting to see something happen faster.
lunaboyd

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks Luna! Glad I could help. Yes, I love my soup!

Today I was having lots of goofy thoughts about food that made no sense at all, but I just kept replacing them with thoughts of my delicious soup and telling myself how good it was going to taste...and more importantly, how good I'd feel by following through on my plan. So I did! I came home after my workout and ate my delicious veggie soup over mashed potatoes and wow! it really hit the spot! I wasn't hungry again until dinner. I didn't eat the soup for dinner 'cause I had chili that I made last Sunday that needed to get eaten. So, I tried the "Cheeze" Chili Casserole (Thanks Debbie!) and it was delicious! A great way to use up left-over chili. I put too much mustard in the "cheeze" sauce, so I wasn't sure about it, but it turned out very tasty. I'm still full. I'll make this one again. Now the chili is gone, so it's all about the soup!

Tomorrow I'm going to do the Spin Class in the morning 'cause we won't be able to make it to the Saturday classes.

Gratitude: TGIF!

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am

Okay, woke up REALLY exhausted and sore today. Not going to spin class. I decided to take it easy today and maybe get outside for a brisk walk (in the snow!) a bit later. The sun is finally shining today, and it would be nice to get outside and feel the sun on my face.

I'm going to the Library to study today. I'm behind on my study schedule, so I want to use today to catch up. I'm trying to get through a chapter and the chapter quiz each week for the next 5 weeks, then we'll see how realistic that schedule is. So far, I'm not quite 1/2 way through the first chapter, so today is a push to stay on track.

I have to get moving this morning...I've been catching up on journals, and the time just flies by...so I'm posting here and then shutting down my computer so I can jump in the shower and get out of this house! Feels good, though, to be able to start the day off slowly since I woke up so tired.

Food Plan Today:
B:Oatmeal with Cherries and banana
L:Veggie Soup (I'll bring a thermos to the library) and baked potato
D: Veggie soup over garlic mashed potatoes (this is my fav!!)
S: Popcorn if I need it

Exercise: Walk outside by the riverwalk for a study break

Keep steadily before you the fact that all true success depends at last upon yourself.~Theodore T. Hunger

Gratitude: We get to go see my older son perform in the honors choir at All-State tomorrow. I'm really proud of him, and it will be a fun day. My DD will be there too with her music ed class, so she'll be riding home with us, and it will be great to spend time together as a whole family.

I probably won't post much this weekend, but I'm determined to make it a compliant one! Vegetable soup and potatoes are going to by my mainstay. I won't be at the gym 'cause we'll be out of town. The rest will be good, and I can hit it again on Monday. I'm praying for a loss when I weigh in on Tuesday! Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Hey Kirsty, Good job with everything. You're doing great! What are you studying for? Sorry if you just talked about this in your journal.

I got home from work tonight and Jeff's "Calorie Density" DVD and Bob Harper's "Inside Out Method" were sitting in my mail box!!!! I think I'm ready to accept Boots' challenge of making it 30 straight days on plan with no cheats. I have all the tools I need. I have an amazing support system here. I've got a fire under me. I can do this.

I'm glad you're in this with me!

kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Ditto, KK! I'm ready too! We can do this, and I'm glad to have you to do this with! What fun things to come home to! I haven't heard of "Inside Out." You'll have to let me know what it's like. I like Bob. I am a closet Biggest Loser watcher. I have to watch it up in my room because my family can't stand it anymore! I don't care. I DVR it and fast forward a lot of it 'cause it really doesn't need to be a 2 hour show! But I still love it. I love seeing what they are dealing with, and how they conquer it (most of the time). And I think it's amazing seeing the before and after pictures!...Anyway...I know it's not "real world" weight loss strategies, but I still like it.

Okay, so today was a good day. I stuck to the plan (mostly-okay, no more vegan cookies now, I swear!). I got kicked in the butt a little, and I found a new resolve. Overall, a good day. I'm going to stick to it tomorrow, too, and the day after that....

kirstykay

Postby RAS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi Kirsty,Have fun this weekend.RAS
RAS

Postby Veg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Are you all doing the 30 days no cheats for the month of Feb?
nettles & sassafras
Veg

Postby kkrichar » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey MMXI,

I am! Do you want to join us?

kkrichar

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks, RAS! The weekend was AMAZING! The choir (and band and orchestra for that matter) was unbelievable. I was so glad we went, and that our son got to have such a great experience!

MMXI- We're starting the 30 days-no cheats TODAY!!! Join us! We're logging our progress in RAS's 100-day challenge journal! I guess our ultimate goal is 100 days, but we're starting with 30...and then onward!!!

I was very happy with my compliance on our weekend! It was great to be prepared for the car ride and then have a plan for dinner that was both enjoyable and guilt-free...all because I planned ahead!

So DAY ONE of our 30 DAY challenge is off to a great start:
Oatmeal with cherries
Salad with chickpeas
Pinto Bean and Barley soup

Haven't needed any popcorn yet, but am allowing it if I do need it.

Went to the store today and am ready to be snowed in if that happens! In fact, we could be snowed in for about 2 weeks with all the great, healthy food I bought! :lol: Got a little carried away! But I wasn't the only one...the store was packed!

They can because they think they can.
~Virgil

Gratitude:Today, I am thankful for delicious food that is good for my body. I don't have to be deprived AT ALL! I think I've had in my head all that I'm "missing" when I "can't" have the junk foods that I crave. But the truth is, I am "missing" out on nothing except obesity, disease and misery! If I can keep that in the front of my mind for this 30 day challenge, and then reap the rewards of MWL compliance, I will be on my way to truly becoming a "New Me" this year!

kirstykay

Postby kkrichar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey Kirsty, where do you live? The roads are terrible and a bunch of schools closed in the western part of Iowa but it hasn't reach Iowa City yet. I, too, stocked up on a bunch of McDougally food in case I get snowed in. Hopefully, the FedEx guy will make it through the storm with my truck load of McDougall Right Foods!!! I'm so excited to try them!!

Good job today. I'm about ready to head home and stay there for the night, toasty warm with Master Jenkins and a good book and some SNAP and brown rice.

Life is good like this isn't it??? I love your attitude today. It's contagious.

kkrichar

Postby sksamboots » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Go Kristy Go!!! :nod:
sksamboots

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals