becoming me

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: becoming me

Postby LoriJenny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am

Thank you Dechen!!!! :thumbsup:

Today marked 6 weeks, my 42nd day of my new lifestyle. It was a successful day.

B: rice cake/pb
S: puffed kamut
L: spaghetti
S: Pistachio nuts
D: Vegies/hummus/blackbean chili (yum!!)
Ex: Walked 2 hours and 10 minutes!!! :)
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 am

15 pounds, 15 pounds...finally!!!!! Yay!!!!! After sitting at a weight loss of 14 pounds for 2 weeks, finally it went to 15 pounds
!! :D
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

I was thinking today of what my breakfast used to be. I used to go through the McDonald's drivethru and get a sausage McMuffin with egg, and a diet coke, to that I'd have a Hershey Bar and joke that it was my "breakfast of champions". Wow! In my car now I'm listening to the newest John Robbins book, I think it's called Healthy at 100...good book and motivating too :)
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 am

Oh Noooooo...I fell big time. It started with a wedding shower that I was giving, I brought home the extra sandwiches and cakes...oh what a bad idea!! I think I thought I was doing so good and I was so strong that I would not be tempted and my kids would eat all that food. It was not pretty. I feel so bad and I physically feel bad, my right foot has a "hot spot" that is swollen and hot and hurting so bad, my elbow hurts, I feel bloated...ugh!!! I need a do over...isn't that called a mulligan in golf? I need a mulligan. I have learned that I am not strong enough to make little exceptions to my new lifestyle, that it is very likely to throw me vastly off track. My son's wedding is coming up, and even then I think I need to stay on track, no one will honestly really notice if I'm not joining in with the meat and the cake, seems more important to really be there enjoying the moment in a real way than letting myself swim in the deep water of the SAD diet for a bit.
So...there it is, I have not journaled lately because I was ashamed of my fall, and because I continued to fall for a few days. Now I am getting it out in the open, and turning around, and realizing I need 100% commitment. I read where Dr. Mcdougall says Moderation kills...and I understand why now. My foot sure hurts. Ouch!!!
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 am

OH...another reason for my recent fall...(excuse??) is that my dog had his little surgery and he could not go walking...and I didn't feel motivated to go without him...soooo...I didn't go. Fortunately, he is feeling better and ready to go now! I also completely forgot to go to my Dr. appointment...I can't believe I did that and they did not call me either. I will call tomorrow and make a new appointment!
LoriJenny

Postby Dechen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 pm

O your poor pooch. Give him a hug from me. I love animals. Don't worry about the fall off the wagon. Just jump back on and ... power to your elbow. :D
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby LoriJenny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank you Dechen...I was so afraid people here might give up on me after all my failures, so I appreciated so much your kind response. Live and learn I guess. I have done well today:

B: Rice cake/peanut butter
S: Rice cakes
L: Quinoa Spaghetti with sauce
S: Rice cakes and vegies
D: Anderson's Pea Soup/vegies/hummus
Exercise: Walking for 1 hour with my dog.
LoriJenny

Postby Dechen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 am

I have had slip ups. One of the lasted a year and when I came back nobody ever said anything judgmental, rather the opposite was true.
LoriJenny, if it wasn't for all the people on this board I would have given up on myself way back. I know it sounds soooooo corny, almost diabetes inducing but you really could not wish for a better bunch of people. We are all human and therefore guilty as charged, and the judge & jury (our work mates, families and friends) after our blood but here ... well, this is rehab. We learn from our lapses and move on. We don't crucify ourselves or others for them.
I am sure I am not the only one but when it gets tough in my food-world ... this is my happy place. :D
You just hang in there, dust yourself off and HI HO Silver ... back on the wagon. :D Power to you LoriJenny :D
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby themayes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 am

LoriJenny,
I have read your journal and you are very inspiring. I know exactly how you feel. I did very well McDougalling for about 6 weeks then I fell off the wagon in the beginning of December and gained 15 lbs over the past 3 months. I am back McDougalling (it's my 3rd day). I have not posted to my original journal because it is painful to do so, however, after reading your journal and the encouragement of others on this board, I am going to do it.

Thanks!
Keep it up you are doing great!
Becky In Michigan

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlNB9PH/]
[/url]
themayes

Postby LoriJenny » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Dechen, and Becky....Thank you, there sure are wonderful people here, I always find encouragement in this place :) Thanks for reminding me that to err is human!! Here is my day:

B: Rice cake/peanut butter
S: Rice cakes
L: Blackbean chili
S: Vegies and rice cakes
D: Quinoa spaghetti/sauce/vegies/hummus
Ex: I walked for an hour with a friend I have not seen in a while, and my dog :)
It feels nice to be back on track, it actually feels more peaceful within me and healing to be eating the McDougall way, I think I will sleep well tonight. I've been listening to John Robbins "Healthy at 100" book, and there is one quote that caught my attention today, he said "I make myself rich by making my wants small." I just thought it was interesting, I think it's about simplification, and to me that goes along with this way of eating, it is more simple, it costs less money, and produces less stress...and in the long run, it will make my life richer.
LoriJenny

Postby LoriJenny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:42 pm

I updated my ticker. I decided to make it start from where I started my weight loss journey, at 193, just today I made it to 166...so 27 pounds lost!

I have found it a little bit humorous that 2 people recently looked at me with a funny look and asked if I had changed my hair...hehehe...no! But it makes me feel good that they see something different even if they can't put their finger on it :)

B:Rice cake/pb
L: Black bean chili/vegies
S: Vegies
D: Blackbean chili/vegies/rice cakes
Ex: My first ever yoga class...it was sooo hardd!!! Plus 20 minutes on the eliptical machine, and 40 minutes of walking with the puppy.
LoriJenny

Postby themayes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:15 pm

OMG LoriJenny....YOGA is so hard. I struggle more with Yoga than any other exercise. Guess that's why it works ;-)

Is that your puppy in your avatar? I love that pic he looks so cute and cuddly!
Becky In Michigan

[/url]
themayes

Postby LoriJenny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Becky!! Yoga is sooo hard!! The young and petite little instructor led us step by step into a half pretzel position (I think she had a different name for it), and then when we were completely feeling like contortionists she said "now simply reach your left arm under your leg and wrap it around your neck" (or something like that)...anyway, I found it so humorous it was hard not to laugh, but in general, yoga was very challenging and I came to the conclusion that I am not very flexible. I think I will go again and see if I can improve. Yes, that is my puppy, his name is Bear and actually...now he is about 50 pounds!!!

Today I left work hungry and needed to do errands on the way home. If this scenario had happened a few months ago I would have found it the perfect excuse to go through the drive thru at Carl's Jr. and order a #13, with a chocolate chip cookie on the side, and that thought did cross my mind, but I decided to stop at a store along the way, and I picked up a bag of rice cakes and munched on a few of those instead. I like not feeling guilty!!!!! I like my stomach not feeling bloated!! I like the money I save too...Carl's Jr. would have cost me at least $8, but instead I spent 2 and have rice cakes left over for breakfast too. All in all a good day.
LoriJenny

Postby Dechen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:18 am

Good on you! Keep it up. It's amazing how, with every healthy choice we make, we get stronger and more confident in our selves. Power to your elbow! :D
Dechen

Postby themayes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm so proud of you for making the right choice and not going to Carl's!

That happened to me the other day when my hubby and I were out shopping. I couldn't stop thinking about Olive Garden and I told him about it so he snatched up these potato crisps and put them in the cart when I wasn't looking. When we got in the car to drive home, he pulled them out and said here's a little snack for you until we get home. :D What a sweetheart...actually I think he just knows how devastated I would have been after I ate there and didn't want to deal with that on his day off LOL :lol:

He thought I was absolutely CRAZY when I told him I was going Vegan last year. He said there is NO WAY he could give up meat and dairy. Long story short, we found Dr. McDougall and he is now more committed than I am....go figure... :roll:
Becky In Michigan

[/url]
themayes

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals