lfwfv's journey: MWL, GF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: lfwfv's journey: MWL, GF

Postby lfwfv » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:21 pm

I had a pretty decent day today. Didn't get hungry until late this evening...had my usual veggies, yams, and fruit.

I have added grapes and blueberries to my diet the last several days. I opted not to test them in in the usual manner, but just to go ahead and add them. i have seen no adverse effects at all. They seemed similar enough to cherries, apples, bananas, and peaches that I thought I could add them without much risk (I will not be so blase about strawberries, citrus fruits, raspberries, kiwis, or even melons--they will each get their own test week). So, my diet is slowly expanding. I now eat the following foods:

celery, romaine lettuce, carrots, green beans, parsnips
yams, sweet potatoes
blueberries, bananas, apples, peaches, cherries, grapes (raisins yesterday, since they're essentially grapes)

I am eating most of my food raw now. I am pretty sure I have reacted to both quinoa and buckwheat so far, but I am likely going to re-test at least the quinoa because I am a bit surprised by the result.

I think I will probably test in white potatoes this weekend. I don't love them, but it would make my diet much more versatile if I need to travel, and i could also eat cheaper if i ever needed to. If the potatoes test in ok, I will probably test some condiments (mustard, nutritional yeast) next. I don't really like totally plain potatoes and they would give me a bland base on which I could test the condiments, as well as different herbs and spices.

I ran 30 minutes again today. I was a bit tired, but I worked from 8am until 7:30pm without resting almost at all.

I am going to cuddle up with my husband for a bit right now and then it's off to bed. Hope everyone out there had a good McDougalling day.

Take care
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby KMD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:48 am

I love your detailed posts. I'm glad to hear you're hanging in there.

I didn't even think about testing melons. Is there a reason you think you might react to them?

As far as fruits go, I'm concerned about citrus. No lemon or orange? Not fun.

Have a great weekend - good luck with the potatoes!
KMD

Postby lfwfv » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi KMD,

Thanks for stopping by. In answer to your question, I have no reason to suspect melons, they just seem very different than apples or bananas or cherries so I just thought they deserved a week to themselves.

I am actually rethinking testing the potatoes this week....I am craving coffee so badly, and I think it would really increase my pleasure in the morning. It has been six weeks on the ED and I still miss the comfort and taste of my hot cup of coffee...i even miss the brewing ritual. It is tied up to my childhood memories...growing up in a German family where coffee is central. I read the McDougall article on coffee and I just don't think it's all that bad--especially if I stick to the decaf. I think i will only make decaf coffee (now that I'm off caffeine anyways). The only negative then is the acid, but that has never seemed to bother me much-- in fact, I like how it clears out my system in the morning. I really think it would make me enjoy my daily food more. So, I might test that in instead and do the potatoes next week. No nutrient value, but possibly a huge satisfaction booster. It would also make going out for coffee with friends, and having a cup of decaf at church a possibility again. Hot water doesn't always cut it....

I didn't run today, just came back from a very long walk with my husband. it was so nice :) I married a wonderful man.

I was a bit tired today, but fairly productive. I have all day off tomorrow so I plan on cooking, cleaning, practicing, and getting some paperwork done for work.

Gonna go watch a movie and cuddle up with my husband.

Take care
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby lfwfv » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:02 am

Hi everyone,

I had a pretty good weekend. I was able to rest quite a bit, got in a run this morning too. I was productive and able to get ahead for the week by cooking up two pots of food that should keep my husband going for the first part of the week.

I've been eating a lot, especially fruit. I've been a little worried that I'm not getting enough protein so I plugged a couple of days worth of food into the cronometer. I am averaging 5-6% per day protein, and 5-6% per day of fat, so I think I'm borderline, but ok.

BUT, I am averaging upwards of 2700 calories per day (after 5 days of tracking). No wonder why I feel full and bloated. That seems absolutely ridiculous. And yet, last week I weighed in and my BMI is at 17.5. This seems crazy. I honestly feel ashamed by how much I'm eating. I feel like a glutton. Nobody, except an elite athlete, should need that many calories per day.

Not sure what to do about this, but I think I will be monitoring for the next few days to see what I average.

Take care
lfwfv
Last edited by lfwfv on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfwfv

Postby lfwfv » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Jellen wrote:Wondering if you're eating low fructose fruits? Too much fructose, if I'm correct, translates into raised triglycerides. This is my problem. I've been going crazy with bananas lately, and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem for me. Weight is pretty constant and lowering a little.

Sounds like you are eating volumes but not gaining. Perhaps you're still not absorbing all you eat.

Hi Jellen,

Well, I'm eating a lot of apples and blueberries these days. Fewer bananas than i used to. I realize the raised triglycerides might be an issue, but I will deal with that later.

I re-analyzed the intake on the cron-o-meter and realized that my intake is averaging 2700 cal per day or so (at least on the 5 days I monitored). So, some days it's over 3000, some days it's closer to 2000. Still seems like an awful lot of food for someone who's underweight! I may not be absorbing all of it, or it may be because a lot of it is raw food and that's not as well-absorbed, or maybe I really am pretty active, or maybe my body is fighting to put weight back on.

My appetite does seem ridiculous. I often feel full but I just can't seem to feel satisfied. I've been starting to occasionally eat dried raisins, simply because my body seems to be screaming for food and only stops once i give it more calories. I'm sick of eating only super-bulky foods that leave me stuffed to the brim by the time I'm satisfied. I can't even eat nuts or grains right now because of the ED and I just can't seem to get satisfied eating only fruits, veggies, and yams. It's frustrating. I wish I could eat 1500-2000 cal and be satisfied.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just wish I didn't need to eat so much food.

Thanks
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby lfwfv » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Jellen,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for taking the time to post. I think I will react to all nuts. I informally tested some nuts a while back and I reacted to all of them, even hazelnuts. They noticeably increased my acne and my rashes. I've had dry, irritable skin my entire life. Oddly enough, when I eat no nuts/seeds or added fats at all, my skin almost doesn't even need moisturizer! Bizarre...my hair is shinier now than it's ever been as well.

The elimination diet is definitely working to eliminate my symptoms though. In the last 2 weeks, I haven't tested in any grains, just fruits and decaf coffee. Previously, I tested in buckwheat and my skin flared up in a rash within a few days. After two weeks without any reactions to food, my skin is looking better than ever. Eating the right foods really does heal my body. Right now, I think that means yams, sweet potatoes, veggies, and fruits. I am not so sure any grains or nuts will ever be in the picture. We'll see though...

The avocado is a good idea. Quite honestly, I'm afraid to add fats back in because I am truthfully afraid I'll gain a lot of weight. I also don't love avocado. We'll see though.

My next test food will likely be potatoes. I am getting sick of only having sweet foods to eat and I would like to test in a couple of herbs/spices etc. on the potatoes if the potatoes test in ok.

I also think it would be good for me to incorporate more raisins and possibly other dried fruits into my diet, especially when I have really bad cravings for non-ED-plan foods (grains, nuts etc.). At least the dried fruits don't cause a reaction and they satisfy my craving for calories without causing quite as much abdominal distension (compared to the bulkier fresh fruits). I'm a bit scared of dried fruits as well because of how calorie-dense they are.

I have definitely battled horrible cravings for gf flour products, nuts, and grains the last few days. I have come so close to giving in. I just feel there are times when I can't get enough calories and I am sick of ingesting so much bulk. I could eat 6 yams, or a cup of nuts and have the same amount of calories. The yams leave me bloated and miserable, the nuts would leave me satisfied but comfortable. It's frustrating because I know that if I eat the nuts or the grain, I will ruin the ED and I will pay for it because my skin will breakout in acne and rashes and I'll have to allow it all to heal again. Eating dried fruit, while not as satisfying as nuts or grains, seems like a reasonable compromise in light of this internal battle.

lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby KMD » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:42 am

I think the dried fruit is a great idea for you!

The calories seem to be a non issue from where I sit. You are thin and active and feeling healthy. The calories are feeding your activity, not making you fat.

If you sat on the couch all day, you wouldn't need so much fuel. But you don't. You run, you work, you clean, etc.

You are an amazing lady, keep up the good work.
KMD

Postby lfwfv » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:17 am

You are such a calming, encouraging voice for me KMD.

The calories seem ridiculous to me, especially given that there are days when I sit down for a few hours, or days when I don't run. I do wonder if I'm not quite absorbing everything.

My husband says the same thing you do...he says the calories are a non-issue until I am fat! haha. Truthfully though, when I talk about feeling bad because I'm overeating, he just says that's not the priority right now, and it's something we can look at if I truly gain weight to the point of being at risk of being overweight. The priority right now is the ED and getting well and strong. He looks at me, affirms that I'm underweight, and asks "why in the world are you worrying about too many calories?" I know he's right, but I still feel crazy eating so much.

I also hate that I need to eat so much food volume...it leaves me feeling stuffed, gassy, uncomfortable...but it seems like what I need to do in order to feel satisfied and like I've ingested enough calories. The dried fruit is definitely an option, although that seems to do a number on my lower intestines...hard to digest. It feels better and less bulky in my stomach though.

Anyway, thanks so much for your support and voice of reason KMD. I really appreciate it.

I have a very busy, long day today. I start working in a few minutes and will be going almost non-stop until 8:15 tonight. Phew. Do it and don't think about it.... :)

lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby lfwfv » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:31 am

Hi Jellen,

From what Jeff's written about, eating enough fat is really not an issue in this diet. I don't need to eat any concentrated fat sources to meet my needs. I don't eat flax or anything, but romaine lettuce actually has a high ratio of omega 3's and most other veggies as well.

As far as the avocado goes, I know Burgess eats them, and I don't have any problem with them, other than that I don't like them very much and I'm a bit afraid of adding a concentrated source of fat into my diet (especially because it's unnecessary). At this point, I can't mix it with lemon, spices or anything else because I have not yet tested citrus or spices in, so I will probably wait on testing in the avocado.

As far as selenium goes, I know Jeff has addressed this issue as well (and generally says it's a non-issue), and I really am not concerned with it. I try not to obsess about micro-managing all the details. I know I'm meeting all my nutritional needs and I'm basing my food choices solely on the outcome of the ED (sticking to foods that don't cause a reaction), not one a bunch of numbers or RDA levels since, as Jeff has discussed many times, they don't always apply for people eating a whole-foods vegan diet. I know that if I'm eating roots, veggies, and fruits, I am eating an ideal diet that meets all my needs.

At this point, I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Thanks again for your thoughts,
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby lfwfv » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi,

Ok day today. Kinda tired...I managed to get my practicing done, worked, went grocery shopping, and ran 30 minutes. I've been eating a tiny bit less the last few days.

The decaf coffee seems to be testing in fine- so far no adverse reactions. I am very glad about that because I love everything about my morning brew (minus the caffeine nowadays).

I believe I will start testing in potatoes this weekend.

I am still battling cravings for non-ED foods at times. I am also trying hard to not stuff myself as much. I'm so sick of always feeling bloated and full and looking 6 months pregnant after I eat. I really want to get to a place where I can eat more reasonable amounts of food and not always feel so stuffed after I eat.

Thanks for listening,
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby KMD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:44 am

Coffee!

It still smells soooo good! Congratulations on your success with it. I know it means a lot to the quality of your food life :)

Good luck on the potatoes. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Kathryn
KMD

Postby Burgess » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:55 am

lfwfv wrote:I believe I will start testing in potatoes this weekend.

Keep in mind the fact that there are two issues with testing potatoes. One is the starch itself. The other is the skins. Some individuals can eat the starch without problems, but react to the skins, especially on Russet ("brown") potatoes.

My own personal experience, which might not apply to anyone else, is that I tend to bloat when I eat Russet skins (along with the potato itself) but not whole red potatoes, white potatoes, or gold ones.

Suggestion: First try eating peeled reds (or whites or golds). If you have no problems with the starch itself, then try eating them unpeeled (if that is what you would normally do). Reds/whites/etc. are more expensive but for now, on the short-term, that shouldn't be your main concern.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby lfwfv » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:17 am

Hi Burgess,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I was planning on testing in the reds this weekend (we buy huge bags at Costco, so I will just microwave several at once and eat those for my starch. I will consider peeling them first.
I know russets cause reactions for a lot of people so I will definitely avoid them for now.

Thanks again!
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby KMD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:12 am

Hi L,

Just thinking about you. I hope things are going well today for you. I'll check in later today to see if you post.

Kathryn
KMD

Postby lfwfv » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:54 am

Hi,

Well, I had a very rough night. I'll explain...I had been trying to eat a bit less the last few days. I had been tracking on Cron-o-meter and realized I was eating on average 2700 calories per day, with some days reaching as high as 3500-3800! On top of that, I was sick of feeling perpetually stuffed. So...I decided I must be overeating. I decided to try limiting myself to about 2000 calories per day which seemed reasonable for me. Well, within 3 days, I lost a full pound, which brings me down to a BMI of 17.4. So, I definitely think I was using those 2700-3700 calories per day just to maintain my weight. I am guessing I'm not absorbing all my food because I can't see any other reason I would need quite so many calories.

At any rate, I suddenly felt insatiable yesterday. I bought tons of raisins and dried apricots and tried just making up some of the calories. I limited veggies and ate several yams. But, nothing seemed to cut it. After discussing it with my husband (who's been my supporter in keeping me from 'cheating' and messing up the results of the ED) I finally decided to go and get some coconut milk ice cream (coconut milk, pure vanilla, guar gum, chicory root are the ingredients...no oil, no other grains, nuts etc.). I ate it and finally felt satisfied. We are treating it as my test food this week....I am not hopeful that it will come out positive (especially since there are 4 ingredients involved), but there was logic behind this choice over, say, choosing nuts:

-We are already quite certain I react to hazelnuts, almonds, and walnuts because I have reacted to each of them in the past. So blowing a test week on them at this point would very likely be fruitless as it wouldn't provide me with a food I could safely eat long-term.
-I don't really like avocados and I can't imagine being able to eat an entire one in a sitting since I don't like their flavor much.
-We thought the nut milk might be slightly less likely to react than the actual nut.
-We thought it was worth sacrificing a week of testing in order for me to finally feel satisfied and to get caught up on calories.

I know Jeff says fat doesn't satisfy, but I really do think it does. If it turns out I can eat this, I think it will go a long way to satisfy an occasional craving for something more indulgent, and possibly also in satisfying my caloric needs and enabling me to gain some weight if necessary (i'm still fighting that).

Anyway, that means no potato testing this week. I was actually safe to test last night because I started my coffee test last Friday AM, so everything is fine.

However, I ate so much dried fruit as well that I was up for 4 hours with extreme cramping, bloating, and diarrhea. It was absolutely awful. I really cannot tolerate much dried fruit at one time at all. I think 1/2 cup or so per day is going to be about it. I was hoping that the dried fruit would help me to feel more satisfied and less stuffed. When I first ingest it, it does feel less bulky and satisfies me. But when it hits my intestines, it just seems to wreak havoc on my system. Absolutely awful. This has happened twice now and I need to learn my lesson! Back to bananas and yams as my primary source of calories.

Off to clean and get some work done,
lfwfv
lfwfv

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals