bunsofaluminum's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: bunsofaluminum's journal

Postby Anna Green » Sun May 08, 2011 8:35 am

Hi. Came by to see how you are doing and say hello. You are doing well even with the grief you are experiencing. So sorry.

I plan to make your oatmeal dish. Sounds wonderful.
Anna Green

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 am

Hi Anna! Thanks for dropping by, and Carrollynne, too and debbie. :)

Today's Plan:

B: cheezy steel cut oats w/spinach (making them w/zuke instead of shrooms today)
L: baked sweet pot w/salad and 321 dressing
D: Rice w/stir fry zuke, onion, and mushroom
Snack: hmmm...an apple?

I think I will make Mac n Not Cheese soon. I'm still wanting it, and my kids like it pretty well.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 am

Today's Plan

B: hashbrowns and salad w/321 dressing :drool icon
L: cheezy steel cut oats w/spinach
Snack: orange and carrots
D: hm potatoes will be the starch. stir fry vegs? broccoli?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby dragana » Wed May 11, 2011 4:28 am

I love your menus. Would you be kind and share your salad dressing 321? I am having hard time eating salads without at least avocado in them.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 11, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Dragana

321 salad dressing is a fat free homemade salad dressing. I think the E2 book has it, but I've seen it posted on these forums a few times.

There are three ingredients: tart something (vinegar), sweet something (honey), and good mustard.

3 parts vinegar
2 parts honey
1 part mustard

You can use lemon juice instead of the vinegar. I have also used agave nectar and maple syrup to replace the honey. Yesterday at work, I had to make a small batch since I forgot to bring any in my lunch...white wine vinegar, honey and regular ole French's yellow mustard worked just fine.

So, if I want a little bit, I use tablespoons, and if I want to make a jar, I use my 1/3 c measure.

put the ingredients in a bowl, cup or jar (for large amounts) and whisk them together.

This is a creamy "stick to your lettuce" salad dressing.

You might also check at the Recipes forum. There are two "sticky" threads at the top of the forum, "clickable list of recipes" or something like that. Each link in those two threads takes you to an edition of the newsletter's recipe section and there are lots of salads and salad dressings included in those newsletters.

have fun with it, and IMO...eat some avocado with your salad if that's the only way you can get salad in ya. when I started this, I had been in the habit of eating a large salad every day, with whatever on it. Seriously...pizza salad with ranch dressing...yes, a huge salad with pizza cut up in pieces on it as an ingredient.

that was how I STARTED, mind you. I'd never go that route now, but it was what I needed to do when I was first thinking about my need for energy and knowing that I needed more raw veggies. I spent the summer eating my salads with "whatever i wanted" on top, and then I was ready to launch into McDougalling in September.

You may eventually give up the avocado, eh? and if you don't, though they are a high fat food, your fats are at least included within the fruit, not separated and processed and bad for you. If it takes eating an avocado to get you to eat your salad, I say do it. ;-)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 am

Yesterday was pretty good, though I ate some toasted walnuts in the evening. Ate on plan. Dinner ended up being baked red potatoes w/Vegan Brown Gravy over the top, and steamed broccoli. :nod:

Today's Plan:

B: cheezy steel cut oats with spinach (I'm making it with zucchini instead of mushrooms and it's less gloppy, more liquidy)
L: baked red pots w/vegan brown gravy; steamed broc; salad and 321 dressing
D: baked reds w/something ( I baked a bunch last night. gonna eat em for the next couple of days)

S: carrots
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Birdy » Fri May 13, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Buns,
I caught up a bit on your journals. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like McDougalling is helping you stay balanced. Congratulations on your weight loss and approaching your goal weight! The cheezy steel cut oats with spinach sounds really unusual. I'm one of those "eat a piece of toast/drink a cup of coffee, and out the door" types. But the idea of eating a really hearty meal for breakfast makes sense. Maybe I'll try it over the weekend. Speaking of which, I hope yours is great!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby dragana » Fri May 13, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Buns,

Thanks you for the salad recipe, I made it yesterday but I think I will put some tofu and some water in it to make it taste less like balsamic vinegar, that is all I can taste in it! :-) But it is not bad and quite edible. Thanks for the tip.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8vHiYa/]
[/url]

May 12, 2011: 40/34/40
dragana

Postby carollynne » Fri May 13, 2011 4:59 pm

HI buns! love that 3-2-1 recipe and I have tried it with raspberry as the sweetener too, either real frozen berries, or the all fruit spread.
Keep up the good work, and make everyday count!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 pm

dragana wrote:Hi Buns,

Thanks you for the salad recipe, I made it yesterday but I think I will put some tofu and some water in it to make it taste less like balsamic vinegar, that is all I can taste in it! :-) But it is not bad and quite edible. Thanks for the tip.

I hear you on the strong vinegar taste. That's why your mango dressing was intriguing to me...something to balance the tang. I also absolutely love the dressing for the Asian Noodle Salad (?) that Mary McD has posted...It's way good on grains, though it does have pnut butter in it, so not non-fat.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 am

I flopped LIKE CRAZY yesterday. Went to a women's thingy at church, which I regret for more than just the foods that were there. I ate a salad with high fat (oily! oh my WORD...blch) dressing, a croissant with tomato and lettuce (there were cold cuts, but I didn't touch those) some terra chips (sweet potato chips...yum...I've always loved them, and had some yesterday) and a dessert: a brownie.

So I regret it for the foods, but the get together was overall lame. Maybe I'm just cranky due to hormones, but I didn't have fun. The fellowship was blah, there was an insipid little skit, the company I was with was negative and pretty joyless, (got into an argument over my not ever adding oil to my foods..."but you need fats" so I told her "so I will eat olives or an avocado, rather than add highly processed, nutrient void oil to my foods" which she seemed to agree with. I wasn't gonna get into a discussion about the 17% fat content of my oatmeal every day, eh? )

I had a headache (still do...sinus? strep? meningitis? brain tumor? see how I get?) (it does feel like the kind of headache you get with strep, though) I would have done better staying home and getting some sleep.

After i got home, i drifted a bit. Watched a cool video on Netflix called "God of Wonders" and fell asleep for just a few minutes. Then ate something...something not healthy, not McD legal. I know I ate bread and butter at home. Also, hash browns and salad, black beans and corn "wraps" (with wh wh tortillas)...and a double serving of instant oatmeal...IOW, I ate and ate. This is PMS for me FOR SURE, but I haven't had such high fat munchies in ages. Usually when I get this way, I just eat one potato after another, or munch on a bag of baby carrots, but not yesterday. Seriously...bread and butter? :\

Tried to sleep, but a stupid movie, that I've seen a dozen times, was on, so I had to stay awake to watch that. :roll: and finally zonked out at nineish.

today I'll do better, food wise. I slept in until 6:30, which is very late for me, and had a shower, and haven't been able to get the stupid women's fellowship thingy out of my head, so I better go sit quietly and pray and read until I'm feeling more peaceful.

Today's Plan:

B: a baked sweet potato and salad
L: cheezy steel cut oats and salad
D: ??? hm maybe something with quinoa and salad.

MMMMM, salad!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Beagle » Sun May 15, 2011 3:47 pm

So sorry to hear that the meeting was not great, and someone wanted to overly defend themselves at your expense.

I don't know if you have come across this guy before, but at those times when I am feeling a little meh ! he can be a real inspiration.

Hope you feel a little better soon xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pdH_y7w5w
Beagle

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Beagle wrote:So sorry to hear that the meeting was not great, and someone wanted to overly defend themselves at your expense.

I don't know if you have come across this guy before, but at those times when I am feeling a little meh ! he can be a real inspiration.

Hope you feel a little better soon xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pdH_y7w5w

oh yeah, Nick Vujicic! I went and saw him in person in SLC, with the youth group at my church. He's amazing, no lie. AMAZING.

and thank you for your words. I do feel better. I felt better as soon as I went in and said hi to my first few people at church. Sitting and visiting with Mary who has been praying for my son, and finding out how her daughter is who had some surgery done recently. Very nice. And I've been going strong all day. headache nearly gone.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 16, 2011 7:09 am

Okay, my weekend was kinda high fat, rich foods...some completely off plan, some just rich (like the nuts yesterday)...and today I'm going full out MWL. Peeling and taking along plenty of carrots for the munchies. Put together the makings for a huge salad, for lunch, and plan on the same for dinner (with some starch or other) ...maybe what's left of my cheezy oats w/spinach.

B: cheezy steel cut oats w/spinach
L: huge salad; small baked sweet potato
D: cheezy etc, with a big salad
Snack: carrots and yellow squash

I think having the carrots along is going to save me today. I have the munchies and want to keep it sane.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby carollynne » Mon May 16, 2011 5:48 pm

keep at it, Rome was not built in a day!! or the hare won the race not the rabbit...
probally was the Pms thing, altho who knows.
good luck and you can do it!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals