Good Friday Food Diary

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hungover

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:32 am

Today I woke up with a food hangover. :shock:

That's the only way I know how to describe it, anyway. My head felt bad, my joints are complaining, and I felt thick & sluggish, like my whole body was sloshing through sludge.

See, yesterday I went on a binge. Or at least what counts for a binge now. Compared to what a binge used to be for me, it was nothing. But still. I can't recall the last time I ate this much of this kind of bad-for-you food.

I bought:

- 5 large dark-chocolate truffles (truffle fillings usually have dairy ingredients, which I try to avoid most assiduously due to it causing joint pain). At home, I took a bite from each. Two were so bland I threw them away immediately. In the past I'd have bought a dozen and eaten all before I got home.

- 1 bag of Pepperidge Farm cookies. Ate 5 (1/3 of bag), then realized that they were just too oily tasting. In the past I'd have eaten 1-2 bags while shopping, then bought a 3rd to eat on the way home.

- 1 slice of cake. In the past, I'd have had 2 at least (along with the cookies & the truffles).

- 1 rotisseried chicken. Truly had no intention of eating this; I'll buy 1 every 6 months or so and grind it up w/beans to make "Mommy's special meat" for my daughter's lunches. I don't crave meat in general. But after all that sugar, I guess, the lack of sweetness was what I wanted. I ate a little less than 1 breast of chicken. This has never really been a binge food for me.

Today, like I said, I literally feel hung over! Fortunately I do not feel guilty or hopeless or like giving up on my eating plan (which always drove me to binge some more, in the past) -- quite the opposite, in fact. Today I am craving plain chickpeas & veggies!

I do, however, feel a little guilty about eating the chicken, 'cuz I've come to feel that eating dead animals when you don't need to -- especially factory farmed animals which this chicken probably was -- is just plain gross.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby sksamboots » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 pm

Welp, Your already doing what I think should be done. You examined the damage and your committed to get back on track today. Here is to a good day!! :)
sksamboots

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks sksam! I know I was way off track yesterday but I also feel good looking back at it and realizing how far I've come.

It's sort of like when you've learned a new sport - after a year of practice, the "big mistakes" you see yourself making are what a "good day" would have been when you first started.
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby talkingmountain » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Today I continued to pay for my transgressions of Thursday. Aching joints, low energy, etc. It's better though.

Food today:
- 2 sm bowls whole grain cereal (just noticed that it's enriched w/Vit B12!)
- 2 bananas
- Abt 1 c almond milk

- 1 iced mocha coffee (using soy milk)
- 1 slice vegan carrot/raisin bread

- Abt 2/3 c homemade LFV mac n "cheese"
- Abt 1/4 c homemade LFV peach brown betty (baked fresh peaches w/oatmeal topping)

- 1/2 Lg sweet potato, baked
- Abt 2 Tbsp homemade peach salsa
- 1 slice italian bread
- Lg salad w/miso ginger dressing.

EXERCISE:
30-min vigorous walk

Ahhh, I thought I'd eaten pretty well today, but now that I see it in print, I can see I ate WAAAYYY too much sugar and not enough veggies. Sounds like I need to keep track of my veggie portions for a while.
talkingmountain

Hi

Postby f1jim » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 pm

We must be on the same track. I was going to mention the high sugar but you've got a good eye. It's always better when you see it instead of me. Then I escape the wrath! Looks like you are getting back on track and that's what it's all about. It's just one day out of so many left to go!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby talkingmountain » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks Jim, and no wrath for you today! Yup, it's not pretty but I'd rather see the truth so I can continue to make progress. It is SO easy for me to slip into letting sugar dominate my diet, for some reason.
talkingmountain

Postby Anna Green » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi, I know what you mean about how even your binge eating is no where near what it was before. I am finding too that I am just overall more in control and what feels like "bad" is no where near as bad as before. I ate a bk veggie burger w/no mayo tonight and wished I hadn't but realize too that I am headed in the right direction. Before my impulse eating may have taken me to Popeye's fried chicken....

So, Good for you and I look forward to hearing about your continued progress.
Anna Green

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:05 pm

No exercise in days. At first I was going nuts, now I'm starting to dread exercising. How quickly the habit can die! Thank goodness hubby returns tomorrow. Hopefully his mom will hang on for a few more months but it's still touch & go.

Food today (so far... will edit as I can to keep it accurate):

- 1 sm bowl whole grain cereal
- 1 banana
- Abt 1/2 c almond milk

- 1 egg & chs biscuit (omg... when was the last time I ate one of those, a year maybe? Now THAT is getting sloppy. See, I DID need to get honest!).
- 1/2 can diet coke (Really struggling w/sleep, energy, self-esteem, motivation today)
- 1 mug coffee

- 1 lg "leftovers" burrito (eziekel shell, leftover walnut/tofu/mango mixture, tons of lettuce, & some salsa)
- 1/2 can diet coke

PLANNED FOR LATER:
- sm tiffin of black cherries w/abt 2 Tbsp vanilla coconut milk yogurt
- sm salad
- Supper, hmmm, wrote down some ideas but not handy right now.

EXERCISE:
- Getting desperate here. Maybe dd will do a yoga video w/me?
talkingmountain

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:38 pm

I am either coming down with something or I there was some milk in that egg & chs biscuit. 'Cuz I feel like I've been hit by a vespa and my sinuses are dripping goop again. Lovely.

Well today was not what I'd planned on food-wise. I didn't binge, but I don't even want to write down the food I ate after the cherries because it's so sad. Cereal, chocolate chips, peanut butter...no nutrition.

I refuse to let this get me very down. Here's what I'm gonna do about it:

- I made a commitment abt a month ago -- maybe longer-- not to buy any more white flour, & I've stuck to that. "Yay me" as London Tipton would say. So now, I'm making a commitment not to buy chocolate chips unless I am baking THAT DAY. No more keeping them around for a snack. I know from experience that saying "nothing with chocolate chips in it" will trigger all that kooky deprivation mentality from my childhood so I'm just not going to go there right now. I seem to do fine with fat-free, whole-grain baked goods in the freezer as an occasional snack.

Next up... start thinking of little steps I can tackle in the coming weeks to reduce my use of sugar, chocolate, & caffeine (these seem to be my last holdouts) without triggering the diet mentality or the deprivation beast:

1. Increase consumption of veggies. Luxuriate in veggies, if that's not an oxymoron!

2. Start going to bed at a decent hour, even if "everything" isn't "done." Bed by 10 if I am to get up at 5 for exercise. How to make that happen????? Some ideas:
- No more nighttime posting on McD forum!
- Have hubby power off PC so I'm less tempted (need music though!?).
- Have reading material picked out.
- Switch from chocolate to carob or fruit desserts in p.m.
- Dim lights, esp blue lights like TV etc.

3. Bake more treats, especially fruit-based ones, & keep in freezer. Ask forum for ideas.

4. Find a an inconvenient-to-reach place to store white sugar or consider demerara sugar only (too expensive for baking??).

5. Further reduce sugar in morning coffee to 1/2 tsp.

6. Gradually go decaf again. Don't tackle too soon, wait till sleeping habits normalize somewhat.

7. Start keeping fizzy water at work instead of diet coke. Or make decaf iced tea each a.m. like in the past (get a clean pot).

8. Get back to daily walking, even if it means taking "lunch" early to beat the rain. Stress is making me do stupid things.
talkingmountain

Postby Anna Green » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Sounds like a plan! Good idea about the sleep. When I am tired I think I am twice as likely to eat SAD.
Anna Green

Postby sksamboots » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:30 pm

You have it all planned out, now just putting it into action. Keep on keepin on :-D
sksamboots

Postby talkingmountain » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Just a quick "yay me" to help keep positive. Here's why.

Ate my planned leftover stirfry early so I could walk early to beat the rain, and darned if it didn't start raining while I was eating.

Stopped a couple of hrs later so I went to take at least a short walk. But the food hadn't lasted long & I was ravenous already. Stopped in to a sandwich shop intending to get a piece of cake, but decided to get a small salad w/balsamic vinegar and a toasted piece of flatbread instead.

Now, I did give in to the call of the candy machine on the way up to my office, as by now I was really hungry and ready to eat. I bought the only vegan item in there (I won't even say what it is because it's embarrassing -- it is absolutely unhealthy in every way). But I only ate a few bites before I stopped and said, hey, let's have that salad now.

And I did.

And now I'm nice & full & can get back to what I need to be doing.

So yes, some bad choices were made, & I take full responsibility. But I also made a good choice, even changing my mind to it after initially intending to do my body harm. I'm choosing to focus on THAT feeling for the moment.
talkingmountain

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 pm

This is truly insignificant, but kinda fun to share.

Last night I was cleaning up after making our supper of creamy (McD-approved) mashed potatoes, BBQ seitan, and a big salad of spicy mustard greens, lettuces, & purslane (funny how we now pay to eat weeds, eh?) with home-made fat-free dressing.

Then I washed the pan.

Then I sauteed onions, celery, garlic, & peppers for today's crockpot supper.

Then I washed the pan.

After the second washing, it hit me how quick and easy cleanup is now compared to before... there's no grease or oil, so a quick swish with the scrubber is all it needs. Sometimes just wiping it out with a paper towel is enough.

Plus, just eating fairly well like I have for the past week makes me realize how much better I feel now than during my last flurry of posts.
talkingmountain

Making Progress

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Since my last flurry of posts, when I was going through a phase of eating C-R-A-P, I've been doing better. I actually did worse for a few days, and then realized what was going on: I was having a subterranean freak-out because of the "no more chocolate chips" promise.

(I wish trying to avoid certain foods didn't trigger an animal-like feeding frenzy in me, but there it is. That's my psychological muddle. Cognitive behavioral therapy, art/dance therapy, talk therapy, Overeaters Anonymous... none of them have helped me get over this particular insecurity.)

So I lightened up, bought chocolate chips, and have been doing much better without the psychological obsession from this perceived "deprivation". This has always been a particular issue for me due to my upbringing. I would like to be in a place where I could give up all chocolate, because even a few oz a day is a ton of fat & nutrition-less calories. But I'm just not there yet. :oops:

However, a lot of the other changes I wanted to try ARE working. Am definitely sleeping better in general, though still having trouble.

So here's a quick progress check on the "concrete baby steps" I planned:

1. Increase consumption of veggies. YUP! Have eaten some kind of leafy green every day for a week now (but I still don't like them). And we've discovered a palatable "green" smoothie (baby spinach & frozen blueberries, some banana, & a bit of tofu & vanilla). My daughter still doesn't know that she's eating spinach, hee hee hee :eek:

I've been cooking a lot more, too, which means more veggies 'cause I just add whatever's around to the recipe. There just aren't that many raw veggies that I truly like, but I love a lot of them when gently cooked.

2. Start going to bed at a decent hour, even if "everything" isn't "done." AM GETTING TO BED by 11-12. Still not 9-10 p.m. I need, but way better than 2-4 a.m.!
- No more nighttime posting on McD forum! YUP. But I miss you guys.
- Have hubby power off PC so I'm less tempted. SO FAR not necessary, as long as I don't get started.
- Have reading material picked out. YUP, gives me something to look forward to and a way to wind my mind down from work worries.
- Switch from chocolate to carob or fruit desserts in p.m. HAVE REDUCED the amnt of chocolate significantly, but telling myself "none" seems to be too big of a mental stretch right now.
- Dim lights, esp blue lights like TV etc. STILL FORGETTING to try this but it will happen naturally as I switch to reading before bed.

3. Bake more treats, especially fruit-based ones, & keep in freezer. NO PROGRESS.

4. Find a an inconvenient-to-reach place to store white sugar or consider demerara sugar only. MOVED IT TO LESS CONSPICUOUS PLACE.

5. Further reduce sugar in morning coffee to 1/2 tsp. HAVEN'T TACKLED YET.

6. Gradually go decaf again. DONE!!!

7. Switch from diet coke to fizzy water or decaf iced tea at work. NO NEED - have just switched to drinking more water. No diet coke in a week or two and I no longer even want it.

8. Get back to daily walking. BETTER. Some kind of exercise every other day or so, rain or shine. This weekend I realized I'll have to add another loop to my walk, because I can walk fast enough now it doesn't take 30 minutes! (AND, no chest pain :D ).

I am striving for progress, am wishing (as all perfectionists do) for perfection with my dietary goals, but am learning not to let my inevitable lack of perfection at these goals make me give up on them.
talkingmountain

Making Progress

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Since my last flurry of posts, when I was going through a phase of eating C-R-A-P, I've been doing better. I actually did worse for a few days, and then realized what was going on: I was having a subterranean freak-out because of the "no more chocolate chips" promise.

(I wish trying to avoid certain foods didn't trigger an animal-like feeding frenzy in me, but there it is. That's my psychological muddle. Cognitive behavioral therapy, art/dance therapy, talk therapy, Overeaters Anonymous... none of them have helped me get over this particular insecurity.)

So I lightened up, bought chocolate chips, and have been doing much better without the psychological obsession from this perceived "deprivation". This has always been a particular issue for me due to my upbringing. I would like to be in a place where I could give up all chocolate, because even a few oz a day is a ton of fat & nutrition-less calories. But I'm just not there yet. :oops:

However, a lot of the other changes I wanted to try ARE working. Am definitely sleeping better in general, though still having trouble.

So here's a quick progress check on the "concrete baby steps" I planned:

1. Increase consumption of veggies. YUP! Have eaten some kind of leafy green every day for a week now (but I still don't like them). And we've discovered a palatable "green" smoothie (baby spinach & frozen blueberries, some banana, & a bit of tofu & vanilla). My daughter still doesn't know that she's eating spinach, hee hee hee :eek:

I've been cooking a lot more, too, which means more veggies 'cause I just add whatever's around to the recipe. There just aren't that many raw veggies that I truly like, but I love a lot of them when gently cooked.

2. Start going to bed at a decent hour, even if "everything" isn't "done." AM GETTING TO BED by 11-12. Still not 9-10 p.m. I need, but way better than 2-4 a.m.!
- No more nighttime posting on McD forum! YUP. But I miss you guys.
- Have hubby power off PC so I'm less tempted. SO FAR not necessary, as long as I don't get started.
- Have reading material picked out. YUP, gives me something to look forward to and a way to wind my mind down from work worries.
- Switch from chocolate to carob or fruit desserts in p.m. HAVE REDUCED the amnt of chocolate significantly, but telling myself "none" seems to be too big of a mental stretch right now.
- Dim lights, esp blue lights like TV etc. STILL FORGETTING to try this but it will happen naturally as I switch to reading before bed.

3. Bake more treats, especially fruit-based ones, & keep in freezer. NO PROGRESS.

4. Find a an inconvenient-to-reach place to store white sugar or consider demerara sugar only. MOVED IT TO LESS CONSPICUOUS PLACE.

5. Further reduce sugar in morning coffee to 1/2 tsp. HAVEN'T TACKLED YET.

6. Gradually go decaf again. DONE!!!

7. Switch from diet coke to fizzy water or decaf iced tea at work. NO NEED - have just switched to drinking more water. No diet coke in a week or two and I no longer even want it.

8. Get back to daily walking. BETTER. Some kind of exercise every other day or so, rain or shine. This weekend I realized I'll have to add another loop to my walk, because I can walk fast enough now it doesn't take 30 minutes! (AND, no chest pain :D ).

I am striving for progress, am wishing (as all perfectionists do) for perfection with my dietary goals, but am learning not to let my inevitable lack of perfection at these goals make me give up on them.
talkingmountain

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals