I caved in

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I caved in

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 pm

i have been craving potato latkes for three days now...lol!

Tonite i caved in and made some. No not Mary's recipe but the Mark Bittman one on the Today show. I did eat them with applesauce though instead of the sour cream that Ed has in the fridge. They were soooooooooo good. I will chop them up and eat them again tomorrow and he can use two for his potatoes in the morning. I figure it's my feast meal since we are going to a potluck xmas day and I am bringing my coleslaw and hoping there are other things there I can eat. Was gonna do my kasha and bows but still deciding. They are having ham and I have no idea if there is gravy or not. If I make the kasha, I will add some of the Golden Gravy that i have left that I made the other nite, since iI like kasha better with gravy!!! Hopefully I will have time and the room to make it since those are two things I can eat!
ncyg46

Postby fulenn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:51 pm

I love Mark Bittman's recipes. Mmmmmm.

You are doing great! You have chosen to make it a celebration and then go on with McDougalling. Good for you! I wonder if there is a McD-friendly version out there. I really like latkes. Or was this one okay and I'm taking you seriously when I shouldn't?

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby kimba » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:50 am

Can you share that recipe? I saw the last half of the show there. Hubby called me in and said he wanted me to make those. I never did get to the today show website to see if the recipe was there.

Thanks,

kimba
kimba

potato latkes

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:12 am

Mary has a recipe in the original book, the McDougall Plan p 318-19
I didn't get to the Today show website either but I jotted down the ingredients.

starchy potatos, russets or idaho. I used two and grated with a hand grater.
half a onion grated
I soaked the potatoes in water to keep them from turning brown and then drained in a mesh thingy but didn't get all the water out.

mary's recipe called for 4 T whole wheat flour, I used matzo meal instead since i wanted to use up the matzos i had.

salt, pepper...and I did put in an egg. I realized it needed something to bind it all and was lazy and could have done egg replacer but didn't. I did grind some flaxseed and hoped it would soak up more but I was hungry!!!!

I once had his "How to cook everything Vegetarian" book but sold it back on Amazon cause it was too heavy, hardcover and way too may pages for an rv. I do miss it!

I recently bought a 1958 edition of The Jewish Cookbook and sorta read their recipe and just combined all three ideas! Theirs called for 5 large potatoes and that would have made way too much.

I pan fried the latkes in some peanut oil but the second batch was already in a dry pan since I didn't use much...oh and I took them out of the pan and put them on a cookie rack while I made the others so they would stay crispy.

I never got exact amounts on the Mark Bittman Today show thing but just improvise till it feels like it will hold together somewhat. It is supposed to be crispy on the outside and creamy inside.....

Hey found it....there's a video and the recipe....and no I didn't use that much oil, just enough to cover the pan thinly

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28350489/
ncyg46

Postby fulenn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks!

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

the leftovers

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:15 pm

wish i didn't eat them for breakfast...they are all gone! I microwaved them just to heat them up and then threw them on the hot grill pan Ed had just finished using. They came out great.

I wish I knew the company that made our square grill pan. I got it at The Kitchen Collection and the lady there recommended it, they don't carry it anymore and nobody remembers what it was. There is no name on the back. It needs no oil and nothing ever sticks. :-D I think it is a hard anodized pan and sorta brushed silver on the back, but no name unfortunately. :(
ncyg46

Postby fulenn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 pm

I saw a square nonstick grill pan at Target today! Not sure of the brand--I wasn't looking and didn't see this until just now. Of course, it probably isn't the brand you had, I'm really not sure what kind of quality Target has with regards to cookware. I'll try to look next time I am there.

Fulenn

fulenn

pan

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:12 am

i don't need to buy another one but if the other lady who works there is in maybe she will remember it. I ripped the packaging off of it and never paid attention to the brand...but they make good quality so it would be nice to know what it is, just in case! :D They had three other square grill pans and they weren't it. Anyway Merry Christmas :D

Well I did find a name on it...Ballarini from Italy. It is not showing that it is made anymore so I better take good care of it. I finally found really small type with the name on the handle..would never have thought to look there! :eek:
ncyg46

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning