fruit cake recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

fruit cake recipe

Postby Chrmann » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:51 am

I need a recipe for a fruit cake that is McD friendly.

Any suggestions?
Chrmann

Postby Melinda » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:03 am

There is a great fruit cake recipe on Bryanna Clark Grogan's website that I tried this year with great success. it does have 4 Tablespoons of oil in it - that is is 2 - 9 x 5" loaf pans, which is quite a lot of fruit cake. Likely you could substitute apple sauce - I did not want to experiment this time, as fruit cake is expensive to make. Go to her holiday recipes on her site. :-
Melinda

What is Bryanna Clark Grogan's website address?

Postby Chrmann » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:42 am

What is her website address?

I've been experimenting today with my old fruitcake recipe and a vegan cake recipe I found. It is cooking now so have no idea how it will taste. The batter is vegan with no eggs or fat.
Chrmann

Postby Letha » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:52 am

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/fruitcake.html

I've not tried this but I might down the road.
Letha
Letha

Postby Chrmann » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Letha,
That recipe sounds good!
Chrmann

Postby Melinda » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:25 pm

to get to the recipe go to: www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1553047.htm - scroll down to the recipes for "Bryanna's vegan buttertarts, steamed puddings, and fruitcake" - it is the low fat carrot fruitcake. Just ignore the buttertarts! :-)
Melinda

Postby vgnwitch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 pm

I've made Bryanna's fruitcake. It is really good. The oil isn't necessary and you can just omit it ... this recipe is also in her No Fat cookbook and doesn't have any fat added.

When I make this cake, I omit the sugar. I think fruitcake is more than sweet enough with all the fruit and sugar isn't really necessary.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Melinda » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:00 am

Bryanna, did you have to change any other ingredients when you omitted the sugar? Because I found it a little sweet. Also, did you sub applesauce for the oil or just leave it out? Thanks.
Melinda

Postby Melinda » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:01 am

Sorry vgnwitch! I guess I was thhinking Bryanna instead of your poster name!
Melinda

Postby vgnwitch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:07 pm

I looked at Bryanna's fat-free version in The (Almost) No Fat Holiday Cookbook and she uses 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil.

There is enough flour in the recipe that eliminating the sugar doesn't mess with the structure of the cake. I use unsweetened apple juice for the liquid. It adds a bit of sweetness to make up for the sugar, but it isn't as noticeable. I also stir in a little vanilla. I think almond extract might be nice too. Fruitcake often has nuts in it.

I made this cake one Christmas for someone who said he hated fruitcake and he gobbled down half a loaf in one sitting! :D
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Melinda » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:46 am

I made a note of those changes for next year - thanks vgnwitch! :-)
Melinda

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning