Is this a weird lunch?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is this a weird lunch?

Postby ThinFor5Minutes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 am

When I was packing our lunches this morning, we only had enough brown rice and kidney bean salad left for one lunch, so I gave it to my husband. For myself, I grabbed two hearty whole grain rolls and a couple of tablespoons of hummus, plus a bag of raw carrots and grape tomatoes. It was the best I could do under short notice (I shoulda looked last night), but is it just too weird?
ThinFor5Minutes

Postby serenity » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 am

Sounds like a sandwich and vegetables. What's weird about that? :)
serenity

Postby luvoatmeal » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:13 am

Sounds good to me :-D
luvoatmeal

Postby ThinFor5Minutes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:37 am

I guess I am not out of the "meat on two slices of bread" mode yet. But the rolls sure are good!
ThinFor5Minutes

Postby Dale Jackson » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:42 am

My family has always enjoyed beans and rice even when not eating a plant-based diet. When I was a little kid one of my favorite things to eat was a bean sandwich made with cold smashed pinto beans and Miracle Whip. I am learning to love that all over again but without the Miracle Whip. My husband thinks its crazy but then he eats cold boiled peanuts! :lol:
Dale Jackson

Postby july31 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Sounds yummy but….two whole wheat rolls would be a big chunk of my day’s calories. Also hummus (unless you made it specially without olive oil or tahini) can be a high fat item. Carrots and tomatoes are always great. The rice & beans sounds like a great lunch too.
july31

Postby slugmom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:52 pm

ThinFor5Minutes - hey, if it works for you, great! :) Anything can be lunch! I think it sounds pretty good, in fact I think I'd like your lunch better than kidney bean salad LOL

july31 if they were whole grain rolls with no added oils there's no reason to count the calories, that's the best thing on this plan :) you don't have to weigh, measure, and count.

I need to bake some 'legal' rolls, there were rolls served at lunch today but they weren't no added oils :( so I had to pass on them.
- Kim

slugmom

Re: Is this a weird lunch?

Postby Nettie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:43 am

ThinFor5Minutes wrote:... It was the best I could do under short notice (I shoulda looked last night), but is it just too weird?

That's the reason I keep some McDougall soup cups in the trunk of my car - just for emergencies when I'm away from home. Also, my kitchen never runs out of big potatoes - so I always have a quick meal ready, even if nothing's cooked. Thank goodness for the invention of the microwave! :lol:

Nettie
Nettie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning