Egg Replacer?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Egg Replacer?

Postby VeganMan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:35 pm

What is this and where can I find it?

Please help
Vegan Since Sept. 2006
Age 24
205/171/175
VeganMan

Postby hope101 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:11 pm

I bought a box called EnerG Egg Replacer. It is made of potato starch and tapioca. I actually haven't used mine yet because I have a lot of vegan cookbooks that just haven't asked for it. I have seen it in the local health food store (the ones that sell supplements) and an organic foods store.

If you like baking, I like Dreena Burton's "Vive le Vegan". Her baking uses a lot of ground oats as a binder. She does cook with oil, but I just replace it with applesauce or often just more milk.
hope101

Postby LJ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:43 pm

Yes, most health food stores carry it. My local grocer (Kroger) now carries it as well.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby S B » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:03 pm

I copied these egg replacer recipes from Chef Deb's board on VegSource a few years ago. Maybe they will be of some help to you.

EGG SUBSTITUTES

Ener-G Type Egg Replacer
1 cup potato starch
3/4 cup tapioca flour
2 tsps baking powder
Mix all well.
Store in airtight container.
To use:
1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 2 Tbs water = 1 egg.
1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 1 Tbs water = 1 egg yolk.
When measuring, press powder firmly into measuring spoon.
----
Egg Substitute
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs water
Mix well.
Equals 1 egg.
Good for quick breads and cookies.
Not so good for cakes.
----
Egg Substitute
1 Tbs soy flour
2 Tbs water
Mix well.
Equals 1 egg.
----
Egg Substitute
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs white flour
3 Tbs water
Beat all ingredients together until fluffy.
Let stand 1 minute.
Make just before adding to recipe.
Equals 1 egg.
----
Flax Meal Egg Substitute
2 tsp flax meal
2 Tbs warm water
In a small bowl, mix flax meal and warm water.
Beat until mixture has the consistency of egg.
Equals 1 egg.
----
Tofu Egg Substitute
1/4 cup whipped Tofu
Some liquid from recipe
Mix well.
Equals 1 egg.
----
Oil Egg Substitute -- This one is NOT McD-legal since NO "free" oils/fats are allowed but I did not want to cut it out of what Chef Deb posted!
1 Tbs oil
1 Tbs water
1 tsp baking powder
Mix well.
Equals 1 egg.
Not so good for cakes.
----
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

P.S.

Postby S B » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:15 pm

These came from the Fatfree Vegan site.

To Replace Eggs in Baking

Eggs are used in baking for leavening and for binding. The type of substitute you need depends on how the eggs are used in the original recipe and on how many eggs are used. Flat foods such as pancakes do not always depend on the eggs for leavening, and often you can omit the eggs completely and just add a tablespoon of water per egg or one of the binder ingredients listed below. If you are unsure whether or not eggs are used for leavening, you can always err on the side of caution and add an extra 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to the recipe.

When a recipe calls for three or more eggs, as many cake recipes do, the eggs provide substantial leavening and need to replaced with something equally leavening. In many cases, the results of using egg replacers for more than three eggs will not be satisfactory.

The following are substitutes for one egg:

A flax seed mixture : Mix 15 mL (1 Tbsp.) flax seed meal (ground flax seeds) with 45 mL (3 Tbsp.) water in a blender to substitute for one egg. This acts as a good binder in recipes.

Half a small banana, mashed, is a good binder. Gives pancakes, muffins, and quick breads a subtle banana flavor.

1/4 cup of any kind of tofu blended with the liquid ingredients in the recipe acts as a binder. Light or reduced-fat tofu cuts down on the fat and calories in the finished product.

1/4 cup of applesauce, canned pumpkin or squash, or pureed prunes are binders. These give baked goods a heavier texture, so you may want to add an extra 1/2 tsp. of baking powder. They can also flavor the finished product, so use with caution.

Use an egg-replacer powder such as Ener-G to replace the eggs in baked goods. 1-1/2 teaspoons mixed with 2 tablespoons of water.

Here's another Ener-G type egg replacer: Mix together 1 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Baking Soda, 2 Tbsp Flour, 3 Tbsp Water

A heaping tablespoon of soy flour or bean flour mixed with a tablespoon of water. This mixture works similarly to vegetarian egg replacer.

2 tablespoons of cornstarch beaten with 2 tablespoons of water. This, too, works much like vegetarian egg replacer.

In any recipe where the eggs are used for leavening, consider increasing the amount of baking powder or baking soda called for while using one of the binders. Do this with caution, as too much leavening can affect the taste and the consistency of baked goods.
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

when Ener-G is better...

Postby Colleen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:37 pm

Carroll wrote:I've always wondered... are these really necessary? I always use a half teaspoon of baking powder to replace each egg in recipes and it's always worked for me (I don't even change the liquid content, I don't know if that's because I use apple sauce to replace the oils?). Of course I couldn't use baking powder as a binder, is that what the egg replacers are for... for binding?

for veganizing recipies that call for beating the egg whites or folding in stiffened egg whites, you can actually beat the Ener-G powder with water until it is foamy and forms soft peaks (I use an electric whisk for this). In specific cases like these I think this kind of replacer is better.

When working with recipes that are vegan to begin with, it's not so important. It has more to do with texture, I think, than anything else. I like using the Ener-G powder because it's shelf stable and easy to use either in modifying nonvegan recipes or in recipes written by vegans who call for it directly. It's also quite cheap. But when developing my own recipes, I tend not to rely on it so much....
Colleen

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning