replacing eggs w/baking soda and vinegar

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

replacing eggs w/baking soda and vinegar

Postby momof4 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:10 am

Does anyone know of a formula for this, or for recipes when this works or doesn't work?

I love the recipes like Sandie's Quick Breads, and I did make some muffins where I replaced the egg with baking soda and vinegar (the dry ingredient amounts were similar to the 6-min chocolate cake recipe, so it was easy for me to figure out the amounts). I've found that baked goods made with Ener-G tend to come out gummy for me, and I really like the way the baking soda/vinegar recipes turn out.

So I'm wondering if there's something like, "replace one egg with 2 T vinegar and 1 tsp baking soda." Has anyone tried this?
momof4

Postby minirunner » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:21 am

I don't have this down to an exact science yet but I have done this several times in many recipes and it turns out FABULOUS. In my pumpkin muffin recipe I believe it called for 2 eggs and I substituted 1/2 Tb. baking powder with 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar.

I also made a chocolate birthday cake and used this same formula and served it at my daughters birthday party and all the kids loved the cake. It works, I hate energ egg replacer it has a nasty flavor and texture.

Hopefully this will work for you.
minirunner

Postby minirunner » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:11 pm

I forgot to mention that I use 1/3 c. applesauce to replace eggs in cookies and cakes and then use the baking soda or powder and vinegar as well. I have the BEST choc. chip cookie recipe, I'm going to try and see if I can replace the earth balance oil with wonderslim fat replacer and see if it is still good. Good luck with your cooking!
minirunner

Postby noodle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:43 pm

I make a pancake/waffle recipe from Food for Life by Dr. Neal Barnard.
It uses baking soda and vinegar. I love this recipe. But I don't know the exact equivalencies (sp?).
noodle

Postby vgnwitch » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:15 pm

I've found that one egg really doesn't make much of a difference in recipes. I usually don't bother with a replacement for one egg ... I will just add an extra 1/4 cup liquid to make up for the liquid from the egg.

For two eggs, I increase the liquid and add a bit more baking powder or the baking soda/vinegar duo.

For three eggs, I use the above formula for two eggs and whip it in the blender with a 1/4 to 1/3 cup silken tofu.

For anything over three eggs, I look for a different recipe.

I am another one who is not a fan of commercial egg replacer ... a box of that stuff sits in my pantry forever.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning