Thanksgiving Ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Thanksgiving Ideas

Postby jmgoforth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:05 am

Need some good food ideas as we travel to our daughters for Thanksgiving. :-P
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Tofurky jerky is great for road trips!

Postby Mallow » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:11 pm

Tastes exactly like beef jerky! Unless you're looking for foods for the Thanksgiving meal itself?
Mallow

Ideas for Thanksgiving meal

Postby jmgoforth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:19 pm

I want to take something for myself as well as the family.
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Re: Ideas for Thanksgiving meal

Postby Sandie » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:04 pm

jmgoforth wrote:I want to take something for myself as well as the family.

I like to take a stuffed, baked squash to holiday dinners. It's easy to prepare the stuffing ahead of time (either bread, cornbread or a mixture of the two or a rice/veggie pilaf type stuffing) and then stuff the squash and bake it on Thanksgiving. My favorite squash for Thanksgiving is the turban, its flavor is perfect as it doesn't overpower the stuffing ~ besides, it presents well! Also, it is large enough to serve you and your family and possibly have some leftovers. :-D

Other options to bring: a raw veggie platter, a fruit platter, and maybe a vegan pie.

Whatever you take, remember just being there is what it is all about!
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby Doris » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:55 pm

This is what I am taking to my nephew's for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Large fresh fruit salad
Mashed potatoes
Large veggie tray with a dip (maybe a white bean dip)
2 pies (these are not for me, but Aunt Doris always brings pies)

I may bake some pumpkin cookies (posted on recipe board) :)
Doris

Postby PattyC » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm going to my daughter's house this year so I'll be taking a wild/brown rice stuffing (a recipe that I found on the web), some Harvest Pumpkin soup, and of course, Mom has to bring the pies and the gravy. I'll be watching the Board to see what else I might take.
Pat

PattyC

McDougall sides to potluck to Thanksgiving

Postby Anne » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:58 am

I roast sweet potatoes until they are very sweet and carmelized, then slide them out of their skins and mash them. Cooked like this, no one notices the lack of butter. All I add is a little cinnamon. The one caution is that it takes more sweet potatoes than you think to fill a casserole dish.

I also make mashed potatoes by carmelizing fine minced onions in a nonstick pan and roasting a bulb of garlic. When the potatoes are drained and ready to mash, I add the onions and garlic cloves and mash them in. If the potatoes seem a little dry, I have some warm water mixed with vegan fake chik'n broth powder ready. Again, no one notices the lack of butter or milk.

We also usually have a rice pilaf - one of the Lundberg mixes makes a good base. Add enough mushrooms, minced onion, and chopped roasted chestnuts, and it tastes rich.

Fortunately, my family loves onion and garlic - I find that the mouth-feel of those two simulates the richness of oils and butters. The chestnuts do the same, and they are the only low-fat nut.

Have a terrific time!
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Succotash!

Postby S B » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Succotash in a crockpot should travel well and stay warm until you get there (unless you have to go a very long distance) and you can plug-up the pot right after you get there to get the succotash boiling hot again, if you want -- without taking up space on their probably overcrowded stove.

Succotash is an American Indian dish. It is a stew made from lima beans (or other beans), corn, and usually EITHER squash or tomatoes -- but there are many variations. It is practically a whole meal in a dish! Depending on which recipe you use, you can serve it WITH whole grain bread or corn bread or OVER rice or baked winter squash or baked pumpkin, etc.

I am making succotash this year and am NOT having the usual fat-free veggie ham for my PICKY husband! (I could not find any veggie ham in the store that usually carries it.) So, I asked my husband if he would be able to enjoy succotash instead of the pineapple topped veggie ham (made just for him -- since I avoid isolated proteins like the plague!). He said that he thinks the succotash would be OK (under the circumstances). I was SO HAPPY he said that because succotash is SO MUCH better for him than veggie ham!

I will eat mine spooned over some baked pumpkin (MWL-style). I might make some cornbread for my husband to have with his.

Anyway, since BOTH my husband and I have a little Native American blood, I think succotash would be VERY APPROPRIATE (for us) on Thanksgiving!

Good luck!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

I need receipes

Postby jmgoforth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:39 pm

You ladies are talkin to a man. If off the web-Where?
I did copy the Succotash. I need receipes. Just think of your husband. I need help.
Thanks
jmgoforth

thanksgiving recipe source for jmgoforth

Postby tiranda » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:40 pm

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/oct/051000recipes.htm

This goes to the Oct 2005 newsletter recipes which are all about Thanksgiving foods. I don't see a stuffing recipe there, though but all those are McDougall-compliant seeing as Mary McDougall developed them :-D

Also you could look on [/url]http://fatfreevegan.com[url].[/url]
"The 80% is percentage of calories, by the way, and is not a volume measure. McDougallers are supposed to be eating lots of vegetables." - Pumpkin
tiranda

Huge Thanks

Postby jmgoforth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:35 pm

I went right up and printed the receipes. God Bless.I will try the other web page as well. 8)
jmgoforth

Stuffing

Postby jeffallen01 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:36 pm

Looking for a recipe for stuffing. Something quick and healthy and of course, delicious. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
jeffallen01

2 Stuffing recipes from fatfree vegan site

Postby tiranda » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 pm

I found these searching for "stuffing."

This first one was originally on the McDougall Recipe Board at vegsource.com. Puddy is posting here too. Susan Voisin collected it at fatfreevegan.com:

Crockpot Vegan Stuffing

Posted by Puddy on the McDougall Recipes Board

This was the best vegan stuffing I've ever tasted. Even the meat eaters loved it and commented that the mushroom gave it a wonderful texture. I adapted this recipe from one I found somewhere on the internet. I wasn't exact on the spice measurements (meaning I didn't level off the top of the measuring spoon).

2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 (12 ounce) pkg sliced mushrooms
12 cups dried out McDougall-approved cornbread or ww bread crumbs (I used a combo of the two)
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Salt to taste (I used about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon)
1 1/2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups veggie broth

Sauté onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in a little veggie broth.

Pour sautéed veggies over bread crumbs in a very large mixing bowl. Add all seasonings and toss together.

Pour in enough broth to moisten. (I added extra broth halfway through for a moister stuffing)

Pack stuffing lightly into crock pot, and cover. Set on High for 45 minutes; reduce to Low and cook for 3 - 4 hours.

Makes 8 large servings.

and this from Susan Voisin, on fatfreevegan.com

Stuffing or Dressing

Submitted by: Susan V.

You can substitute dried bread cubes for the fresh ones, but you'll have to increase the liquid or it'll be too dry.

4 cups whole grain bread cubes (about 6 ounces of bread)
3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tbsp. dried or 3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
generous amount freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 to 2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup boiling water or vegetable broth
Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Spray or lightly oil a 1-quart baking dish. In it, mix bread cubes with seasonings, yeast, onion, celery, raisins, and nuts. Add the soy sauce to the boiling broth and pour it over all, stirring to moisten completely. Add additional liquid if the stuffing seems too dry.

Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.

Delicious served with mushroom gravy and Pan-Fried Tofu.

Serves 4.

Adapted from a recipe in American Wholefoods Cuisine.

Hope one of these helps!
"The 80% is percentage of calories, by the way, and is not a volume measure. McDougallers are supposed to be eating lots of vegetables." - Pumpkin
tiranda

Postby jeffallen01 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:13 pm

These are great. Thank you for posting them. I'm going to pick up the ingredients for at least one of them tonight.

Jeff
jeffallen01

Huge Thanks

Postby jmgoforth » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:41 am

Thanks to everyone who helped me cook some dishes to take and eat on Thanksgiving. No! No one would even try them but I stayed safe. I would hug you if I could. So I hugged my PC. :-D Thanks
jmgoforth

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning