In Search of: Vegetable Broth Powder

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

In Search of: Vegetable Broth Powder

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:59 am

I'm a busy gal, especially now that my husband is out of the skilled nursing facility/rehab and it's up to me to not only live our lives together but to get him to his twice weekly appointments at the cancer center, 3 times weekly dialysis treatments, and all the at-home PT/OT and visiting nurse sessions.

I'm looking over all the McDougall recipes in all the books from over the decades, and decided to concentrate for now on the Quick and Easy Cookbook.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/shop/the-mc ... -cookbook/

In the past, when I came across a recipe that called for "vegetable broth powder" I used some of the home made stuff from a recipe of Bryanna Clark Grogan, Susan Voisin, or others from on-line. We're not staying in our own home right now and I don't have access to my own pantry, so would like to use a pre-made mix.

Any suggestions?

I found a few vegan ones on Amazon and Vitacost, but each either is astronomically high in sodium, contains all kinds of added fats, or both. I haven't found a single one that would be considered compatible with the McDougall program or Jeff Novick's guidelines.

ARE there any out there, or should I go track down those old recipes and hit the store and buy all the spices and herbs all over again?
VeggieSue

Re: In Search of: Vegetable Broth Powder

Postby Starflower » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:48 am

Hi VeggieSue,

Here’s one. I’m allergic to one of the ingredients, so haven’t tried it myself, but it looks tasty. I usually make my own or just use one of the Mrs. Dash blends.

You really have your hands full. I hope this works for you. Take care! :)

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Vegan-Broth-Base-Spice/dp/B08GFRWFPN/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2N3F7KKBV4YOH&keywords=salt+free+instant+vegetable+broth&qid=1707414027&sprefix=salt+free+instant+vegetable+broth%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Daydream » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:00 pm

Veggie Sue, I like the "ORGANIC Better Than Bouillon Reduced Sodium Vegetable Bouillon Base". If you get the "ORGANIC" reduced sodium version, it does NOT have any oil in it (the non-organic version has oil in it). Even though it is "reduced sodium", it still has quite a bit of sodium in it but I only use 1/3 or half the amount they suggest per cup and that tastes fine to me.

I have bought it at Whole Foods Market and I have also bought it from Amazon.

It's this one:

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/produc ... b07qg5tcvz
Daydream

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:51 am

Daydream wrote:Veggie Sue, I like the "ORGANIC Better Than Bouillon Reduced Sodium Vegetable Bouillon Base". If you get the "ORGANIC" reduced sodium version, it does NOT have any oil in it (the non-organic version has oil in it). Even though it is "reduced sodium", it still has quite a bit of sodium in it but I only use 1/3 or half the amount they suggest per cup and that tastes fine to me.

I tried that stuff about a year or so ago when Esther (a Star McDougaller) recommended it. Even using half strength I got a headache and my feet swelled so I gave it away. It *was* mighty tasty, though. :lol:

I guess I'll just use an equal amount of Kirkland's no salt seasoning now that Costco has it back again. The ingredients are basically the same as most of the broth powder recipes.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning