Large dried lima beans- How to cook?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Large dried lima beans- How to cook?

Postby kimba » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:00 pm

Anyone here experienced in making this type of beans? How do you do it?
kimba

Re: Large dried lima beans- How to cook?

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:13 pm

The variations people use to cook beans are almost endless, depending on the stove, pots and appliances in your kitchen, and the time available, or not available. Fast soaks with hot water and pressure cookers are great to speed things up.

For any hard beans, the method is almost the same. I find the best quality and least effort from a long soak, drain, rinse, cover with water, and slow cook on low heat in crock pot. Cooking time varies by bean. I find white beans cook the fastest. In a slow cooker on low, they are done in ~4h, compared to 8-12h for pinto, black beans or chickpeas.

In Mexico, beans are abundant and cheap, and come in many regional varieties. But I can't find lima or kidney beans. We do have a white bean which is called an Alubia, also known as White Kidney Bean or Cannellini Bean. They are good to use in soups, or in sauces.
michaelswarm

Postby MINNIE » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:38 am

This one of those foods I used to hate but now enjoy. I use and instant pot, which takes very little time even without soaking.

But Michael's instructions are good if you don't have that option.
As for how to use them, I like lima beans in soups, especially with hearty winter potato soups. Or add some to a casserole. They are nice and starchy, but don't have much flavor on their own so I use them as an added ingredient more than eating them on their own.

But beans are beans, and you can use them in salads or anyway you like.

As I was writing this, I started visualizing dried lima beans in a stew with hominy or roasted corn and smokey chiles..now I will have to try it out:)
MINNIE

Postby pundit999 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 am

Ann Esselstyn book on recipes related to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease has a great recipe using large Lima beans . I got the idea from there but I use them in all kinds of soups and curries
I soak them first typically. They take a long time to absorb the water and look weird until they get fully soaked .
I try and be careful to not overcook but they are ok if you do.
I use the instant pot but it is easier to achieve the right consistency on a cooktop.
Cook them with tomatoes , celery carrots green chilis and spices etc and you just can’t go wrong
pundit999

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning