Instapot recipes and kidney bean question

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Instapot recipes and kidney bean question

Postby connielovesdogs » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi all!

We have an instapot (relatively new purchase) and I'm wondering if there is anyplace on this site that has MWL recipes for instapot?

My second question relates to my attempt to make Jeff's Longevity soup in the instapot. I put all the ingredients in, including kidney beans, and cooked for 35 minutes. The beans are mostly done, but some are not totally soft. I have read that eating kidney beans uncooked or not fully cooked can make you sick. My question now is this: Do I throw it all out and start again (this time either soaking the beans first or boiling them for 10 minutes?-read about that after it was too late). Or, if I put the finished soup on the stove and boil for 10 minutes, will that take care of it? Thanks for your wisdom!
connielovesdogs

Re: Instapot recipes and kidney bean question

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 am

connielovesdogs wrote:Hi all!

We have an instapot (relatively new purchase) and I'm wondering if there is anyplace on this site that has MWL recipes for instapot?

No, but there are plenty on-line that fit in with the guidelines. To start, look for Susan Voisin's Fat Free Vegan, Chuck Underwood's Brand New Vegan and Jill McKeever's Simple Daily Recipes (She even wrote an InstantPot book that Mary McDougall praised in a webinar).

My second question relates to my attempt to make Jeff's Longevity soup in the instapot. I put all the ingredients in, including kidney beans, and cooked for 35 minutes. The beans are mostly done, but some are not totally soft.

All of Jeff's recipes use CANNED beans, that's why they can be made start to finish in only 10 minutes on the stovetop. If you want to use your own home made beans, cook them first, then measure out the amount for each recipe (1 1/2-2 cups per can).

As for making Jeff's SNAP meals in the electric pressure cooker, I usually pop the ingredients in and set it for zero minutes. By the time it comes up to pressure it's all cooked. In his Fast Food 4: Beyond the Basics, he mentions as kind of an aside that he defrosts the veggies first, that's why the meal can cook in 10 minutes on the stovetop. I toss mine still frozen into the Ipot and they're even a little mushy using the 0 minutes. To be honest, doing it this way (in the IPot) takes longer than cooking the already defrosted veggies on the stovetop, but to me it's worth the convenience.
VeggieSue

Re: Instapot recipes and kidney bean question

Postby connielovesdogs » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:13 am

Thank you, Veggie Sue! This is very helpful
connielovesdogs

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning