frozen green string beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

frozen green string beans

Postby icandoittoday » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I am looking for good easy recipes to cook my frozen green string beans that are sitting in my freezer for a while. I just don't know how to cook them and what to add to them to make it a filling meal.
any suggestions?'
thanks,
I really want to make a go of this mcdougall diet. I believe it is the right way to go!
if I you can do it, I hope that I can do it too!
icandoittoday

Re: frozen green string beans

Postby Vegankit » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:23 pm

I prefer fresh green beans and don’t like frozen green beans by themselves.

Because of my preference, when I do use green beans it’s in dishes that have a flavorful sauce such curry or in a vegetable soup where the green beans don’t play a starring role.

Here is my favorite soup. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51895&p=531356&hilit=Greek+soup#p531356 I often add fresh green beans when cooking it in my instant pot in the second stage. If I was adding frozen green beans, I would add them after the soup is cooked and let the soup heat 10-15 minutes to meld the flavor after the beans defrost.

This is a favorite Japanese curry dish that works beautifully with frozen veggies. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41166&p=423785&hilit=Japanese+curry#p423785
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Creaky » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Add them to oatmeal and add spices to make a savory oatmeal. It's good!
Creaky

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:45 am

You can search for recipes by ingredient in the recipe section on this site (In the drop down menu under Education).

Here are the results when I used "green beans":

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... en%20beans

In that list, the Deviled Green Beans uses the most, since it's the main ingredient. I've made these before using cooked frozen green beans but doubled the sauce, as what it made barely touched the veggies, much less add flavor to them. Next best would be the Green Bean salad, again using cooked frozen and not the fresh beans it calls for. This one is basically a potato salad with green beans.

You can always just cook them and serve them with rice or mashed potatoes and gravy, our preferred way of eating them. I've got a 2 pound bag in the freezer right now waiting for Wednesday's mashed potatoes and ff Golden Gravy dinner.
VeggieSue

Postby PJK » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Sounds like you are new to the McD diet. Welcome. One important point: all McD-compliant meals need to include some starch.

Starches are not only nutritious, they're also filling.

Fruit and veggies are tasty and nutritious, but not especially filling.

You say you want string beans to be filling. But they are vegetables, not a starch. So they are not especially filling.

Enjoy your string beans. But have them with something starchy. That might be potatoes, winter squash, pasta, rice, bread....you get the idea. Starch.
PJK

Postby MINNIE » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm

I have actually learned to like frozen green beans.

I always use them as an accompaniment to a starch. My favorite way is to steam them lightly and add them to any soup or casserole. I add the beans last to keep a bit of crunchy texture.

Or, I make a simplified version of Lebanese green bean stew called "Loobi" - that's phonetic translation of my grandma's Arabic word.
This recipe gives you the basics,and if you leave out the butter and oil you are good to go!

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/gre ... byeh-bzeit

For myself, I just make a simple tomato-based sauce and simmer the beans . The traditional way is longish cooking over low heat to make the beans very tender and almost velvety, like in the photo. But it's matter of taste; if you like them crunchier go for it.
The basic flavor is tomatoes, beans, sauteed onion, cinnamon and whatever other herbs or spice the the cook feels inspired to add.

If you have an Instant Pot or similar device, you can literally make this in minutes, but if you cook it the old-fashioned way on the stove it takes longer but your kitchen will smell great. I go for speed but there is no wrong/right way.

You can use Middle Eastern herbs,but you can also make it Mexican, Italian, Indian or Polish - whatever you like. Just change the seasonings!

I like this with rice, but pasta or baked potato or whatever starch you have will go with Loobi. We used to eat it with rice and/or a big stack of warm flat breads. Yum.

Now I have to go to the farmers for beans and tomatoes LOL- this makes me so hungry...
MINNIE

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning