Instant Pot pasta sauce

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Instant Pot pasta sauce

Postby Plumerias » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Walnut Acres discontinued to marina sauce many of us bought. Tomato products in general remain elusive still. So my husband has decided that he wants to make sauce from fresh tomatoes. At this time of the year, they can be purchased in bulk in boxes labeled for canning. He's presently sitting across the table from me doing his own research for instruction. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations, thoughts, ideas, websites? We have neither the desire nor the equipment to can them, the sauce will be portioned for the freezer. We're going back to the farm where he saw them last week again tomorrow morning. Thanks all.
Plumerias

Re: Instant Pot pasta sauce

Postby vegyluvver » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:38 am

I make my own sauce when tomatoes are plentiful. I chop up onions, celery, garlic, and carrots finely, then sweat them down in a little water or stock. Once they're nice and soft, I add the tomatoes (lots of people peel and seed them, but I don't; I just chop them coarsely) and cook until it's the consistency I like. I haven't done them in the Instant Pot, but I would start with 15 minutes on high pressure if I were going to. I don't add any liquid outside of that first bit of water to saute the aromatics in.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:01 pm

Making your own sauce is easy to to. No real recipe is needed, but you can follow one for rough proportions.
I buy tomatoes and make sauce weekly and refrigerate or freeze.

I start with chopped garlic (4-6), onion, celery, carrot and zucchini (1 each), then fill the rest of a large pot with tomato halves (24). Add 1/2 - 1 cup of water. Just enough water to steam. The tomatoes themselves release lots of liquid.

After steaming, I add oregano (1 tsp) and touch of salt, and very carefully blend.

Then pour back into pot, or another pot, and reduce to desired thickness. Low enough to steam and reduce, but not too hot to burn the bottom of the pot. At low heat you can leave a couple of hours with no other attention than checking the level.
michaelswarm

Postby Plumerias » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:39 am

Thank you both. We made a huge mess in the kitchen yesterday! Today I need to portion for the freezer.
Plumerias

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning