Smoothie

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Smoothie

Postby newbie2019 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am

Hi All,
WFPB SOS for almost 2 years. LOVE IT. Lately I have been making a smoothie for my first meal (as much kale and spinach as I can fit in the blender with a banana and blueberries and 1 TBSP of flax). I know Dr. M doesn't want us to drink our calories but this smoothie allows me to get in so many greens. Is this OK and legal? Thoughts?
newbie2019

Re: Smoothie

Postby JeffN » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 am

newbie2019 wrote:Hi All,
WFPB SOS for almost 2 years. LOVE IT. Lately I have been making a smoothie for my first meal (as much kale and spinach as I can fit in the blender with a banana and blueberries and 1 TBSP of flax). I know Dr. M doesn't want us to drink our calories but this smoothie allows me to get in so many greens. Is this OK and legal? Thoughts?

First, it is important to understand this is a starch based diet. Most smoothies have no “starch” in them. On a per calorie basis, smoothies have less satiety which can lead to passive overconsumption of calories. They also can have a negative impact on blood sugars and insulin and weight.

On Smoothies
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5822&hilit=Smoothies

Second, it is also important to know that not only is this not a veggies based diet, the focus on greens is misguided.

High Quality Foods: How To Optimize Your Food & Nutrient Intake or
How Much Kale Does It Really Take To Reach Nutrient Nirvana?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413

On Greens

Eating greens and nitric oxide production
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44548

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? (Followup to "nitric oxide production")
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44556

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? Redux
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55369

My look at the Eating Greens study on Okinawa Women that Dr Esselstyn quotes
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413#p377385

If you are at your health goals and want to have a smoothie on occasion, have it, but otherwise, it is not recommended as a regular item

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Smoothie

Postby newbie2019 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:49 pm

thank you so much Jeff for the quick reply and for the info. makes so much sense.
newbie2019

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning