Easy meal and snack ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Easy meal and snack ideas

Postby Kitskats » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello, this is my first post. :) My situation is that sometimes my business gets hectic and I take off early before breakfast and it's hard to stick to a healthy diet. I often end up stopping at drive-thru restaurants, and even if I can find vegan food, it's fattening & unhealthy, and too expensive. I'm looking for some easy to fix ideas for breakfast, lunch and snacks to bring with me to keep me from getting the munchies. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Kitskats

Re: Easy meal and snack ideas

Postby vegyluvver » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 pm

Are you doing the plain McDougall plan (Starch Solution) or MWL (maximum weight loss)?
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby Kitskats » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:03 pm

I'm trying to lose weight as well as eat healthy. But I don't need to lose it fast, so maybe just the general plain starch solution plan, because I know I'll lose weight on that too. I just want to avoid dairy and the fast food and junk food basically, and eat healthy, and mostly just stick to the plan. So I think it would be easier to do the basic plan, there would be more options.
Kitskats

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi Kitskats, welcome to the Discussion Board, and thanks for reaching out! :)

One thing that helps us a lot is having left-overs and also planning ahead. If healthy food is not convenient, it's too easy to go through a drive-thru.

Cooked potatoes, even cold, can literally be lifesavers! Here is a link to McDougall approved packaged and canned items. We always have some sort of packaged approved food in the trunk for those times we're out longer than we planned or we just get hungry sooner than we thought we would.

These free videos are great to get a solid foundation and spark ideas to help you out.

But two things I cannot stress enough, especially for people who are new to The McDougall Plan: you have to be prepared (have homemade and canned/packaged food on hand--including canned no salt added or reduced sodium beans) and you have to eat plenty of starch--it may surprise you just how much you can down; don't worry, you have to eat in order to feel satiated and have energy.

Depending on your health goals, if you have little to no excess weight to lose, carry a healthy (no oil, little to no sugar, no dairy or egg) bagel, slices of bread, some dried fruit, aseptic packaged approved soups and beans, cereals, packets of instant plain oatmeal. A favorite, fast on-the-go breakfast (or any time of the day snack or meal) is 1-2 packets of plain instant oatmeal, a fresh banana, and plenty of water. Rip off the top of a packet, pour a little oatmeal in your mouth, take a bite of banana, and enjoy with plenty of water.

I'm sure others will add tips, too. As I mentioned earlier, left-overs are helpful, as well!

Please write back with any other questions or concerns you may have. Congratulations on wanting to eat healthier; you've found the right plan, that is for sure! :nod:
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:21 pm

LOL--you addressed your health/weight plan while I was composing my post above. I agree with you: you definitely should lose weight by following the regular Plan and have a lot more options! Also, if you're already altering your eating from the Standard American Diet (SAD) to this way of eating (WOE), limiting more items may not be the best.

Afterall, McDougall approved breads and pastas, and other non-MWL foods are healthy! It's just that consuming them may slow down your weight loss. You can always tweak what you eat as you continue with this WOE.

As Jeff Novick says, "time and adherence"--those two things, whether following the regular McDougall Plan or the more restrictive MWL, will allow you to achieve really good health and energy.
Mom+Me

Postby Kitskats » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks so much for the reply! You've got a lot of good tips in there. My computer is running out of power now but I'll respond more later.
Kitskats

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Cool. Then here's my list of my fave stuff to pack for portable compliant food:

Whole grain pita and hummus
Grain salads with veggies and oil-free dressing
I may be weird but I love cold boiled potatoes, with or without condiments
Sandwiches with lots of veggies
Pasta salad
Nori wraps (like sushi but I don't cut them so it's less messy)
Leftovers
Salad with beans and oil-free dressing
McDougall soup cups
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 am

Even though these are geared to kids, we're all kids at heart, aren't we?! :wink: Seriously, great ideas and recipes!

I never got around to seeing it (I have/want to!), but here Dr. McDougall's wife, Mary, and their daughter, Heather, discuss "Healthy School Lunches for Children". I'm certain you could glean ideas for yourself from their webinar.
Mom+Me

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:40 pm

A lot depends on what dishes you enjoy. Different expectations in taste and complexity. Slightly different food cultural backgrounds.

My routine includes always having basic starches available: potatoes, beans, rice, lentils, oats, bread... And maybe a couple of sauces: pasta sauce, salsa, ketchup... For me, fast food is just taking some of this prepared food, and making a quick meal: toasted potatoes, black bean tacos, rice and vegetables, lentil loaf, lentil burger, toast, etc.

My grab and go snack foods are usually oven fries or baked corn crackers. Also whole fruit: bananas, apples, oranges and grapefruit.

If you want to use containers or thermos, you have even more options with leftovers. Often have leftover pizza, baked pasta, burgers, breads, rice and vegetables, etc. Some rolled oats and banana make a simple breakfast.

Keep it simple, and keep it within your own comfort level.
michaelswarm

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:30 am

michaelswarm--Would you mind sharing how you make baked corn crackers? They sound intriguing and something most McDougallers would love!
Mom+Me

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 am

A Simple Nutrititious & Affordable Plan (SNAP)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10519

Healthy Cooking Made Easy: How To Succeed Without Really Trying!
https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Mom+Me wrote:michaelswarm--Would you mind sharing how you make baked corn crackers? They sound intriguing and something most McDougallers would love!

Sorry to disappoint. One of two items I purchase, not make. (The other is tortillas.) Oven baked tostadas (round), totopos (triangles, nacho chips) and crackers can be found in groceries and Oxxo (Mexican convenience store). Often the only thing besides fruit and water one can find driving across the country. You can probably buy online.
https://www.amazon.com/Salmas-Horneadas ... B07GZY7Q4G
You might also find them in a US Mexican grocery. The grocery down the street from my home in San Jose, CA had them.

I use them like croutons on salads or in soups. Also advised they are good to bring to Mexican restaurants, so you can use as oil free chips, and avoid the greasy ones the restaurants always supply.
michaelswarm

Postby Kitskats » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:40 pm

Having leftovers is a good idea. I'll try to make extra to last longer. Actually I tried cold mashed potatoes once when I was desperate, and they tasted good, but I never thought of it as a quick meal. That's a good suggestion.

Thanks for the list of package & canned items. The hot drink section will come in handy also because I'm trying to give up coffee. I like Caffix but I need other alternatives. Also with coffee I put in sugar & creamer which is not good. The list has some interesting looking things to try.

I am drinking more ice water and iced tea instead of mochas and coffees, so that should help. I found a Twinings orange and mandarin tea that is really good iced. Also a fruit herbal tea sampler from Celestial Seasonings. I especially like the peach and blueberry. This is something I started recently when I thought about rebooting my diet.

I bought a small cooler thinking ($4 at a thrift shop) I could keep snacks in it in the car. I just need to fill it now!

Thanks for the videos too. I have already read some McDougall books and videos a long time ago, and at times I've been pretty good but not 100%. But the last 10 years have been very hectic and I fell off the wagon. It's slowed down (tho I have busy times) so I figured this would be a good time to restart and review things.

Ok I've started a list with your suggestions. I can't wait to start filling my cooler with good food! I think a variety too will help because I get bored with the same thing all the time.
Kitskats

Postby Kitskats » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm

The last post was replying to Mom+Me Is there a way to reply to each individual post instead of the whole thread? This post went to the bottom? Otherwise I will just say who I'm replying to and hope they see it.
Kitskats

Postby Kitskats » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 pm

To Mom+Me

Yes later on after I develop good habits I can review the maximum weight loss plan.

" limiting more items may not be the best."
Kitskats

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning