Easy meal and snack ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Easy meal and snack ideas

Postby Kitskats » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks vegluvver! I added these to my list. I do love a good pita bread and hummus. I used to work for people from Lebanon and they made the best hummus ever. I haven't made any grain salads myself, but I have tried a few. They're good cold so that's good.

I could try some boiled potatoes with sauce on the side. Ok I'll try it plain too - never know! Which potatoes do you use - Russet or the waxier kind?

I don't think I've tried Nori wraps before. I like salad with chick peas. I do like some of the Mcdougall soups, I need to order a bunch!

Great suggestions, thanks! - Kitskats

vegyluvver wrote:Cool. Then here's my list of my fave stuff to pack for portable compliant food:

Whole grain pita and hummus
Grain salads with veggies and oil-free dressing
I may be weird but I love cold boiled potatoes, with or without condiments
Sandwiches with lots of veggies
Pasta salad
Nori wraps (like sushi but I don't cut them so it's less messy)
Leftovers
Salad with beans and oil-free dressing
McDougall soup cups
Kitskats

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:46 am

Kitskats wrote:The last post was replying to Mom+Me Is there a way to reply to each individual post instead of the whole thread? This post went to the bottom? Otherwise I will just say who I'm replying to and hope they see it.

See the button that says "Quote"? Hit that instead of the Reply button at the bottom of the page.
VeggieSue

Postby Kitskats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

See the button that says "Quote"? Hit that instead of the Reply button at the bottom of the page.[/quote]

Ok thanks! :)
Kitskats

Postby Kitskats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 pm

That's a great idea. I have tried the mock tuna salad, it's one of my favorites. I don't like fish but it doesn't taste fishy at all, but is delicious. Also I was thinking about making muffins or banana bread to take for breakfast along with fruit and tea, so I should try that 'Pumpkin Muffin' recipe. It would be easy to grab & go. Thanks for the video too. Kids meals should be easy to make, and good to eat!

Mom+Me wrote:Even though these are geared to kids, we're all kids at heart, aren't we?! :wink: Seriously, great ideas and recipes!

I never got around to seeing it (I have/want to!), but here Dr. McDougall's wife, Mary, and their daughter, Heather, discuss "Healthy School Lunches for Children". I'm certain you could glean ideas for yourself from their webinar.
Kitskats

Postby Kitskats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Hello michaelswarm! Thanks for your reply. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I have limited computer access. My favorite foods are old-fashioned homemade American food, and I also like foods from different places, like Mexican, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and I recently made some borscht from fresh beets which was delicious. That surprised me because I thought I didn't like beets. I cooked them till they were tender but not mushy. And I'm also up for trying new things. I like it mild though - I don't like the hot stuff, but when you make it yourself you can adjust.

That's a good suggestion. And a variety of good sauces is a good idea. It makes it easy to flavor things. I've always been looking for something to put on bread or toast that is a low-fat substitute for butter or peanut butter. I tried pizza sauce, it's very tasty plain on bread, and you don't need much as it's very flavorful.

Do you have a recipe for oven fries? I've never made them but I imagine it's probably pretty basic.

I should have more fresh fruit available as well. I like watermelon and it's easy to cut up. Even if I only go out for a couple of hours I get the munchies. Unfortunately the fruit market nearby has been closed do to the pandemic, but there is a better grocery store, more expensive but I can look for specials. I'm really picky about fruit, I like it ripe and not too sour.

That's a good idea to bring leftovers - it's easy to grab & go. Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll add them to my growing list.

michaelswarm wrote:A lot depends on what dishes you enjoy. Different expectations in taste and complexity. Slightly different food cultural backgrounds.

My routine includes always having basic starches available: potatoes, beans, rice, lentils, oats, bread... And maybe a couple of sauces: pasta sauce, salsa, ketchup... For me, fast food is just taking some of this prepared food, and making a quick meal: toasted potatoes, black bean tacos, rice and vegetables, lentil loaf, lentil burger, toast, etc.

My grab and go snack foods are usually oven fries or baked corn crackers. Also whole fruit: bananas, apples, oranges and grapefruit.

If you want to use containers or thermos, you have even more options with leftovers. Often have leftover pizza, baked pasta, burgers, breads, rice and vegetables, etc. Some rolled oats and banana make a simple breakfast.

Keep it simple, and keep it within your own comfort level.
Kitskats

Postby Kitskats » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks Jeff, there are a lot of great ideas packed in your article. Frozen vegetables is interesting - I could grab that and pack some rice, throw in some healthy sauce, and heat it up later. That would be super easy. And maybe add a few beans to the mix if I have time.

The spices are definitely something I should try. I'm always looking to add flavor in a healthy way. And the quick grains too - if it's fast & easy, it's easier to avoid temptation.

All the recipes look so good and simple - I should try them all. With my business, sometimes I have a lot of time, and sometimes it gets really busy so this is invaluable, and you've given me some great ideas. Thanks! --Kitskats

JeffN wrote:A Simple Nutrititious & Affordable Plan (SNAP)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10519

Healthy Cooking Made Easy: How To Succeed Without Really Trying!
https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

In Health
Jeff
Kitskats

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning