newbie... can i eat these?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

newbie... can i eat these?

Postby Persimmon3 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:38 pm

i'm a newbie to this way of eating and looking for things i can eat to keep me from feeling bored! i am japanese and love rice so this way of eating really suits me. here are a few things i can't find answers on. i hope you can help me... can i eat any of these things:

1. buckwheat noodles
2. natto beans
3. kimchee
4. white and whole wheat bread
5. pasta... what kind?

i've been eating a lot of veggies and potatoes but after a while it gets old... day in and day out! i hope you can help me.
Persimmon3

Re: newbie... can i eat these?

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 pm

All of those foods can be part of a starch-based diet. Most noodles are good (udon, soba) but remember to always check ingredients, I’ve seen ramen and yakisoba with egg.

The biggest challenge with Asian cuisine is the salt, and sesame oil. My local international market has a naengmyeon that is vegan and oil free (high salt, of course). Trader Joe’s has a decent furikake. Simply Asia brand has an oil-free ramen.

As far as bread and pasta, whole wheat is better than white, and make sure it is oil- and animal-free. Ezekiel bread is a solid choice, and widely available. Most grocers have a selection of whole wheat pastas.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:27 am

Also, check the kimchee - many types contain fish and shrimp. Mother-in-law’s has a vegan version. King’s is my personal favorite.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 am

Persimmon3,

Welcome to the Discussion Board and also to this way of eating (WOE)! :)

Lyndzie covered everything really well. I just wanted to expound on the pasta. Yes, if you can get organic whole wheat, that would be the best. A lot of the major pasta companies now also carry whole wheat pasta, some are even GMO-free. But there are other alternatives to white pasta (and white pasta still is acceptable, though those made from whole foods are preferred).

Personally I haven't purchased the alternatives for a really, really long time as none of my family or myself are gluten intolerant and the cost for the alternatives is usually always significantly higher than it is for whole wheat. But other pastas that would be McDougall Plan approved would be: brown rice, chickpea (garbanzo flour), quinoa, lentil, kamut, black bean, spelt, and I'm certain there are others that I either can't remember or haven't seen.

Just be forewarned; a lot of the alternatives have a different texture and turn to mush easily if not prepared properly. I've always found that pasta--white or whole wheat--is much more forgiving if I've boiled them a minute or two longer than I should have.

Keep up the great work!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 am

You probably will find this link very helpful, a list of McDougall Plan approved canned and packaged foods: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ged-foods/

I should have thought of this before I first replied above, but here is the direct link to approved pastas, including brand names! :thumbsup: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ds/pastas/
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning