T.Joe's Vegan Chickenless Seasoning Salt

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

T.Joe's Vegan Chickenless Seasoning Salt

Postby Mom+Me » Sat May 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Yea--haven't been to Trader Joe's since February, so it was such a treat to get there yesterday! :-D While getting some staple herbs and spices I saw a new (to me) seasoning: Vegan Chickenless Seasoning Salt, ingredients: sea salt, onion powder, spices (hopefully no msg.!), tumeric, garlic powder; 320mg per 1/4 teaspoon--I'll use just a little!

Has anyone else tried it? Thoughts? Looking forward to trying it on cut up potatoes tonight! I remember getting something from Amazon a few years ago that was similar looking.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: T.Joe's Vegan Chickenless Seasoning Salt

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Well...I kind of have a love/hate relationship with this seasoning. I don't use a lot of salt, so this is very salty tasting to me.

Keeping that in mind, a very small amount on potatoes is good! When I used it to season a soup, it was good--but start small; you can always add. Once I was in a rush and put too much in right away. Not only was it too salty, but there was another strange off-putting taste.

Bottom line: If you do consume added salt and are able to get to a Trader Joe's, I think it's well worth the $1.99 to give it a try. Use a very tiny amount and you can always add more. Haven't had chicken broth over 30 years, so I'm not the best one to compare it to the real thing. From memory though, it resembles the look of chicken broth, and is very salty tasting, but doesn't taste chicken-y. I'd still buy it, though, to add to my variety of seasonings.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning