How many calories are in 1/4 cup of dried kidney beans?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How many calories are in 1/4 cup of dried kidney beans?

Postby Nutrition_Queries » Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but if it has I am unable to find it. Are there any nutrition experts who can verify how many calories are in 1/4 cup of dried kidney beans? An internet search reveals that half of the companies that sell dried kidney beans list 1/4 cup of dried kidney beans as having 70 calories, and half of them print nutrition labels that say 1/4 cup of dried kidney beans is 150 calories. Presumably the other data is off too.

Which is it? Does anyone know any nutrition scientists who can verify this? Thank you for your help.
Nutrition_Queries

Re: How many calories are in 1/4 cup of dried kidney beans?

Postby Ltldogg » Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 am

Use cronometer: https://cronometer.com/
Ltldogg

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Fri May 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi,

I happened to make a bit pot of bean soup using dried kidney beans earlier this week.
I soaked 500 grams of kidney beans for over 12 hours. The 500 grams doubled in size and become 1kg of kidney beans or 1,000 grams prior to cooking.
You will find that 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of most types of dried beans have around 350 calories. Cooked beans will have around half or less than this figure - depending on the amount of water soaked up by beans once cooked.
Most calorie counters list 100 grams of raw or dried kidney beans having 333 calories.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Nutrition_Queries » Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 am

Hi ltldogg, I checked out Chronometer and found the same problem. 1/4 cup of dry kidney beans is listed variously as 70, 120, and 150 calories. Here are the calorie counts I found for 1/4 cup of dry red kidney beans on the actual labels of various brands. I am certain they are talking about dried, not cooked weights because I checked that the number of grams per serving matched the number of serving sizes in each container.

Goya: 38 grams = 70 calories
Also Goya: 42 grams = 140 calories
Bob's Red Mill: 46 grams = 150 calories
Camellia brand: 51 grams = 170 calories
Nutrition_Queries

Postby michaelswarm » Sat May 23, 2020 2:14 pm

1/4 cup is measure of volume, not weight.
It depends on the size of the bean. Most produce is sorted and graded by size. Smaller grade beans will pack more beans, and more weight and calories, into a fixed volume than larger grade beans.
Notice that the weight of 1/4 cup is different in each package you list.

According to Nutrition Data *
Beans, kidney, all types, mature seeds, raw
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/le ... cts/4296/2
Serving size 1 cup (184g)
613 calories

So 1/4 cup would have ~153 calories.

* Nutrition Data obtains food composition data from a variety of published and unpublished sources, with the largest provider of data being the USDA. While Nutrition Data cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, we do our best to check or verify all data entries. For your reference, we also identify the data source for each individual food in the Footnotes section of every Nutrition Data analysis.
michaelswarm

Postby Nutrition_Queries » Tue May 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Great answer! Looks like I will be adding beans to the list of foods foods I measure by weight. Thanks for clearing up the mystery!
Nutrition_Queries

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning