Question about oak groats?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question about oak groats?

Postby goal140 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:50 pm

I’m confused (not unusual). I made oat groats for the first time and they were good. I know measuring is a no-no, but I need a ballpark figure for a serving size. Here is my dilemma, different websites have different caloric amounts for 1/4 cup dry, ranging from 110-170 calories. Should I just use an average?
I love the oats but I want to make sure I don’t overeat them! Shouldn’t they have pretty much the same calories?
goal140

Re: Question about oak groats?

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:03 am

Just eat until you're satisfied but not stuffed. Add some fruit to your meal for taste, satiety, and some vitamins. That will naturally dilute the calories per bowl.

Ignore any and all calorie counts - we don't use them on the McDougall Program, and Jeff Novick has mentioned time and again about how unreliable all those calorie charts are.
VeggieSue

Re: Question about oak groats?

Postby goal140 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:02 am

Thank you veggiesue. That makes sense. But it scares me because back about 7 years ago I was living the McDougall lifestyle but not loosing the weight like I expected. Oatmeal was one of my favorite go to meals. I just don’t want to make the same mistake again. I am more informed now than then, and the weight is heading in the right direction.
goal140

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning