FYI for canned refried beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

FYI for canned refried beans

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi, I love using canned refried beans in my cooking, so I finally got around to contacting a major US brand about what is in their beans. Previously I always cheated a little because the fat-free from this brand (most easily sourced locally for me) did not state vegetarian, the veg version is low oil, and I went with that. Little disappointed, they could tell me what ones did not contain lard, but would not confirm if any of the "natural flavoring" were animal-based (even for the one they label vegetarian). I wish companies were more transparent about if their products contain animal-based ingredients, no matter how small.

I think I found a brand that is truly ff and vegan (https://www.vitacost.com/simple-truth-o ... ried-beans) but I don't think I can find it locally anywhere near me.

Here's the response (Old El Paso) in case anyone is interested.
Thank you for contacting Old El Paso.

Most refried beans contain lard, which is a traditional ingredient, but Old El Paso offers several refried bean products without lard: (Vegetarian Refried Beans, Fat Free Refried Beans, Spicy Fat Free Refried Beans, Black Bean Refried Beans).

NOTE:- Lard comes from pig fat.

Secondly, Natural flavor is any flavor that comes from a spice, fruit, vegetable, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy, or other natural product. Natural flavors are found in many foods sold today.

Unfortunately, we are only available with this level of information and therefore we do apologize for that.

Thank you for your interest in Old El Paso. We hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Harleen Kaur Sims
Consumer Relations Representative
##:20255943
ch47gunnergirl

Re: FYI for canned refried beans

Postby Daydream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm

You can find the Simple Truth Organic brand at Fred Meyer or Ralphs market.

Another option is to use an immersion blender and blend pinto beans with some of their liquid and the spices of your choice (the ones listed in the Simple Truth brand are: sea salt, organic onion powder, organic chili pepper, organic spice, organic garlic powder).
Daydream

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks Daydream! I don't have those markets near me, but I'll keep an eye out for the brand here. I saw in Jeff's post of approved foods that Eden beans were ok, and I think I can find those here. I'll keep the recipe in my back pocket, but some days it's just easier to pop open a can and heat :)
ch47gunnergirl

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:33 am

ch47gunnergirl wrote:I saw in Jeff's post of approved foods that Eden beans were ok, and I think I can find those here.

Our local Stop and Shop used to carry this brand but no longer does, and I can't always find them in Whole Foods, either. If I want them I have to mail order, and no matter where I order from, I can count on at least a quarter of the cans to come dented.

Like you, I keep some cans of the Old el Paso brand on hand, Fat-Free only (the Vegetarian has oil) but they're so high in sodium I usually use one can of refried and one can/2 cups home made of no-salt pinto beans and just mash them up a bit. I just pop them in a bowl and microwave a minute or so.

When I'm not in a hurry, I use the refried beans Mary McDougall recommends - Santa Fe Bean Company Culinary Refried Beans. It's dried beans, ground up into a chunky powder, and you cook them in boiling water for a bit. Nothing else added, not even salt, so you can flavor them up any way you want, or just leave them as-is, they taste that good plain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P ... UTF8&psc=1

VeggieSue

Postby JeffN » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am

A while back, I had to stop ordering from VitaCost because it seemed almost every order arrived poorly packaged with things dented, broken, opened, etc. It was a mess.

However, it seems that they have made a real effort to change that. just over a year ago, we gave them another chance. Now, at least for all my orders over the last year, everything comes individually wrapped in several layers of protective covering, and also individually bagged. We have had only 2 issues over the year, out of dozens of orders.... one dented can and one busted bottle. Because the bottle was also individually bagged, it didn't impact anything else. On both of them, I went to their site, used their chat and received an instant refund.

It is not hard to hit the minimum at VitaCost and then the shipping is free

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks VeggieSue & Jeff I appreciate all the info!
ch47gunnergirl

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:14 am

JeffN wrote:A while back, I had to stop ordering from VitaCost because it seemed almost every order arrived poorly packaged with things dented, broken, opened, etc. It was a mess.

I can see jars and the cans in the outer rim of the shrinkwrapped case getting a dent or 2, but how do they stay intact and cans on the innermost part of the case get dented beyond belief, sometimes so bad they leak? It was a mystery!

However, it seems that they have made a real effort to change that. just over a year ago, we gave them another chance. Now, at least for all my orders over the last year, everything comes individually wrapped in several layers of protective covering, and also individually bagged.

My paper recycle bin gets stuffed to overflowing after one of those orders. I love the honeycomb paper they wrap things in and wish I could find another use for it.

We have had only 2 issues over the year, out of dozens of orders.... one dented can and one busted bottle. Because the bottle was also individually bagged, it didn't impact anything else.

It's been a while since I ordered anything jarred from them, ever since that one pasta sauce from Walnut Acres was discontinued. It is nice how each comes individually wrapped now.

On both of them, I went to their site, used their chat and received an instant refund.

I was so surprised the first time I asked for a refund years ago (2 broken jars, 6 cans dented so badly they couldn't even stand up on their own) and my card was credited within the hour.

It is not hard to hit the minimum at VitaCost and then the shipping is free

And don't forget the almost daily specials and discounts! Those 20% off codes come in handy for stocking up, and once I hit the elusive 50% off one. I really loaded up on that one! :D
VeggieSue

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:46 am

What do you buy from Vitacost? I went to their website but the amount of options was overwhelming.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 am

Lyndzie wrote:What do you buy from Vitacost? I went to their website but the amount of options was overwhelming.

It's impossible to just browse around - you'll want one of everything!

Past orders of mine included:
KAL unfortified nutritional yeast
Loads of Bob's Red Mill products - usually cheaper than local and better than Amazon because you can buy just one instead of a whole case of something
Bearitos Traditional refried beans - higher in sodium than Jeff allows but good to keep on hand for emergencies if you don't trust the other brands' ingredients
Muir Glenn brand no salt added fire roasted tomatoes
Frontier spices - individual bottles of various ones (Amazon now carries them, too)

Let's see what else. . . I'm looking over my list on my computer of what to order from where, and finding that a lot of the no-salt added items I used to get at Vitacost they no longer have, like Eden no-salt canned lentils, no oil whole wheat pizza blanks, no salt added no oil canned chili, the lite silken Mori Nu tofu that Mary McDougall and Ann Esselstyn call for in some recipes, Muir Glen portabella mushroom pasta sauce (was low salt and oil-free, IIRC), salt free saurkraut. No wonder I haven't ordered from them in over a year!

As I simplify my menus, and local stores are carrying more no-salt added things and Bob's Red Mill products, I find I have less need to order from on-line stores.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning