Pressure cooking/camping

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pressure cooking/camping

Postby Branson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am

Help me!

I got a presto 4 qt pressure cooker I want to cook with while camping, not a couple days but 2 weeks at a time. It has been so many decades I have to relearn everything about pressure cooking!

The booklet says you gotta have a TBL of oil. But Instant Pot does not.
They say you cant cook rice in soup cuz of foam?
Too many reicpes are quick relase which I am NEVER gonna do because that calls for more water I have no intent on carrying and storing.

Why cant I just cook your Fast Food type meals with whatever minutes high then ignore it as pressure comes down. I was gonna go all tomato with the little cans of tomato sauce, yup salty, but I dont care, nice 30 cents to have tomato 2x a day in meals. That was an excellent plan. Now info is harshing my buzz!

Please help me make this plan work. Im staring at my pressure cooker here at home scared to do ANYTHING. I wanted to learn on my induction, then onto GAS ONE duo cooker.

Tomato/beans/potatos/rice/veggies/ one pot meal eaten Twice.
Branson

Re: Pressure cooking/camping

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:17 am

You can definitely cook without oil. I have had no issues with foam causing problems. For the SNAP meals, are you planning on starting with thawed frozen veggies? Or dehydrated?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Branson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27 am

No veggies but canned. Will take dried fruits. Plan to chuck a serving or 2 in with my cook once eat twice meals. If they are to be cooked in meals I wont munch on them. Will dump veggies in after cooked.

Taking no cooler.

OK I will experiement with no oil and starches start with 4 min high and let the pressure fall on its own and see if it is edible.

I AM taking a 14 day pill container with each one filled with different seasonings cuz I am seasoning obsessed.

Thanks for coming over and responding. Ill letcha know how it goes, and if leftover meal 2 in the pot will be good also.
Branson

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 pm

If you are simply reheating foods, no need to pressure cook at all, simply reheat and serve.

You could take raw potatoes and cook them in the pressure cooker.

If you are making a soup with dried rice, you need to cook the amount of time it takes to cook the rice (12 min for white rice, 25 for brown, NPR). This goes for all dried grains. Make sure there is sufficient water. I’m concerned that your veggies will be cooked to death at that point, since you are already starting with canned. Maybe someone else has experience with this. Also, this might be a good time to use parboiled rice. Lentils cook quickly and do not require soaking.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning