Buckwheat macaroni

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Buckwheat macaroni

Postby Bkworm » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am

Does anyone have a source for 100% buckwheat macaroni-shaped pasta? I can get 100% buckwheat noodles and penne but so far have not found a source for macaroni. Wonder why it is not readily available? Currently using Felicia brand as well as King Soba pasta.

Want to make a pasta salad in this extremely hot weather we are experiencing. However, DH thinks the salad would be better made with a macaroni-shaped pasta instead of penne. At this point it looks like he is going to have to make do with a penne shape. Also thinking of breaking spaghetti into small pieces before cooking and using that instead. Or just leaving the spaghetti whole and calling it a cold stir fry. For some weird reason I am really wanting a pasta salad.

My DH and DS love the rice pasta but I can't eat it. i like the corn/quinoa pasta I can eat but they aren't real crazy for it but do eat it. All three of us love buckwheat pasta.

Thanks for any input. Everyone seems to always have excellent work around suggestions.
Bkworm

Re: Buckwheat macaroni

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Here you go. My wife and I love it

https://www.amazon.com/Felicia-Organic- ... ref=sr_1_2

It has a great taste but a little chewy so we cook it a little longer then it says.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Bkworm » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks, Jeff. This product is one I am already using based on your previous advice and all three of us love. You are the individual who also directed me to the buckwheat Soba noodles I order now. Agree, you do need to cook it a bit longer than other pastas. What I am trying to find is a buckwheat pasta shaped like elbow macaroni rather like half of a small circle. Have not found it anywhere. Why my husband is so adamant about making the salad with that I really don't know. Have just been using the penne-shaped pasta in all my recipes calling for macaroni and it has always been fine. But he has it in his mind that we need the elbow macaroni for the salad.

If I don't find any in the next day or so, will just make the salad using the penne shape and DH and DS and eat it or not. Just don't understand why it is not readily available like other shapes.
Bkworm

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:26 pm

I knew this sounded familiar :)

We have never found one.

Let me know if you do

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Willijan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 pm

This sounds delicious, but more than $28.00 for 6 EIGHT-OUNCE boxes? I'm looking for another site that sells it, I hope for less.

Just looked. Everything I found in a brief search was more expensive.
Willijan

Postby Bkworm » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:20 am

Hello Willijan,

Yes, the 100% buckwheat pasta is delicious. Use the Felicia's brand for penne and spaghetti. Also use the buckwheat King Soba noodles/spaghetti that I order online. Can't use whole wheat anything as it causes RA flares. Also can't eat rice or oats for the same reason.

Also use the Ancient Grains brand of Quinoa/Corn pasta. I love that, too, but my DH and DS aren't wild about it but do eat it. They love the rice pasta but like the 100% buckwheat pasta the best.

Since I only cook a pasta dish once or twice a month, I quit worrying about price. It is cheaper to order by bulk from online than to purchase a single box at one of the local health food store. I trade off what pasta I use each time. When I cook the rice pasta, I just eat something else so the guys can enjoy it. The next time I prepare pasta I use one of the types I can eat, too.

Hope you can find some you like at a price that doesn't seem too prohibitive.
Bkworm

Postby Willijan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info, Bkworm! I guess you have given me permission to buy at this price and I think I'll take it. :-) Really, I just wanted to find out if it was available for less. I hate to let Amazon, or anyone else, cheat me when I can avoid it.
The stores we have in our small towns not only have no buckwheat pasta, I can't even get whole wheat pasta! So I buy a lot of items online.
Luckily, I like penne pasta. However, my husband also prefers macaroni. And pasta shapes do make a difference as far as the "taste" because they affect the texture.
Willijan

Postby Bkworm » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 am

Willijan, I totally agree with you that the shape of pasta affects the taste and outcome in a recipe. We love the Velvety Macaroni recipe from Forks Over Knives which uses butternut squash to make the sauce to pair with broccoli and macaroni. I have made the recipe using the penne shape and the sauce does not mix with the penne as it does the elbow macaroni. Another recipe I make occasionally is from am old Loma Linda program called Newstart Homestyle, Macaroni with Cashew Pimiento Cheese Sauce. The sauce recipe calls for a full cup of cashews, so I only cook it about four times a year for my husband. Again, I have prepared the recipe with the penne shaped buckwheat pasta and it just does not taste the same as the sauce does not cover the penne shapes as well as it does the elbow shape.

Guess I am back to using the quinoa-corn elbow macaroni pasta for these recipes or else just using the rice pasta and I will eat something else when I make these two recipes.

Yesterday we purchased an 8 oz box of the Felicia's brand penne pasta. The regular price is $5.39 a box but our little health food store discounts everything so we paid $4.31, a $ .35 cent savings over what you quoted. I don't shop WF or TJ very often. Just use the two small shops in our area. If I purchase a case of anything from them, I get an additional 10% discount.
Bkworm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning